Author Topic: New to Using heart rate monitor and very confused  (Read 4677 times)

Offline mojoarc

• The Runners
New to Using heart rate monitor and very confused
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:14 AM »
I have to use some sort of tracker in order to get reimbursement for my gym from work. Bought their clip on pedometer and put it through the washer in less than a month. So, I figured a watch heart rate monitor would be a better idea since it is wearable in the shower and I won't put my arm in the washing machine. Also thought it would be beneficial for watching that number to improve my running. I have to have lots of walk breaks when I run and never seem to get much better.
I bought the Polar FT7. Looked up all the formulas for your max HR. I am 31 and in average shape. All the formulas put me at about a max of 190. I went to spin class last night and the watch stayed above 80% the whole class with the last 30 min more in the 92-95% range. From what i read, above 90% should be more like a sprint that can't be maintained for more than a very short period. Any suggestions? Do i need to up my max number? Any better way to accurately figure out what that number should be?

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: New to Using heart rate monitor and very confused
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
There is a formula that would put your max at 194 (210-half your age).  It is possible that the formulas my not apply to you.  Your max may be higher than those indicated by the various formulas. 

Over time, as you get fitter, you pulse should get lower when doing the same work. 

You should also be concerned with the rate of decrease in your pulse during the first minute after exercise while you are pedaling very slowly.  It is also important to know how quickly your pulse goes up when you start exercising.  If you were competing, it would indicate how aggressively you should start your race.

Offline mojoarc

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »
I think it shot up pretty quick to about 70 and then 80%. There was more than one point where I hit 99% and it just didn't seem right. I was able to sustain above 90% for the entire last 30 min. Guess I'll keep playing with it and see what the numbers look like over the next few weeks to see if i need to set it differently

What about the rate of decrease in the first minute should I be looking for? It wasn't until i left the room, filled my water, and got in my car that it got back down into the 70% area

I have checked my resting pulse when waking up and it is about 40-42 bpm

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »
When I was in my 50s, I would run on a treadmill while using a heart monitor.  I would take 440 splits for my pulse while running repeat one mile runs.  My pulse would go higher on a seven mile run at just over 7 minute pace than it would running a mile at just under 6 minute mile pace.  Sometimes I would monitor my pulse in the minute after the run, while walking slowly on the treadmill.

The pulse indicates the bodies demand for oxygen.  My pulse went up slowly because I was really fit and the treadmill gave me perfect pacing.  If I ran on the roads and went out too fast, my pulse would be really high and later, when I settled in, I would be going faster, but at a lower pulse rate as my oxygen demands were lower.

Right now, you have to establish base points for your pulse at varying speeds so you can monitor your improvement.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »
To me, HRM is an art pretending to be a science.  I find it helpful, but some days I find 180 less intense than I found 140 the day before.  It seems most wonky when I'm less fit.

+-SUPPORT US