Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221186 times)

Offline harmony

• Help me, I'm melting....
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #640 on: November 05, 2017, 07:55:26 PM »
Instant Pot French Onion Soup....was delicious.
http://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-french-onion-soup/

I grated a combination of provolone and gruyere to put on top.....and sliced French Bread, one slice in the bottom of the bowl, the other on top.  The onions were sweet, absolutely delicious.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #641 on: November 06, 2017, 10:44:44 AM »
The IP seems ideal for cooking onion soup. I made it on the stove once and could not get the smell of onions out of my house forever!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #642 on: November 06, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »
My neighbor loves his IP more than I love mine :D Sometimes DD has dinner over there (especially when neighbor's niece is there, she is 4?) and he makes her a bean soup in the IP, I am trying to recreate here for her, since I cannot get her to eat much some days. It was a bag of 15 bean soup mix, broth, seasonings and then a bag of frozen veg and cabbage.  :fingers: mine turns out as well as his! It is about half done in the IP.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #643 on: November 06, 2017, 04:57:48 PM »
I had some cubed pork shoulder thawed out in the fridge.  Tired of looking at it, so I threw it in the pot.  One rough chopped onion, several minced garlic cloves, some oil-cured olives, bunch of spices and herbs, a can of mild green enchilada sauce and a can of hot red, and probably some other stuff I'm not remembering.  The plan is to serve it over rice with chopped cilantro and lime juice squeezed on top.  Blob of super thick yogurt and slices of avocado on the side.  It smells amazing, but we shall see.  #freestyling

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #644 on: November 06, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »
Oh, so good!  A little more heat than I was counting on, but that's why I put yogurt and avocado on the side. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #645 on: November 07, 2017, 06:40:19 AM »
The soup took FOREVER even in the IP but DD had 2 bowls last night, 2 for breakfast and a thermos of it for lunch  :roll:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #646 on: November 07, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »
which soup, Meri?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #647 on: November 07, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »
which soup, Meri?
A recipe my neighbor gave me using 15 bean soup mix. He feeds it to DD when she goes over for dinner and LOVES it. I sauteed onions, added the beans and covered with veggie stock, 30min NR, added a bag of frozen soup veggies and shredded cabbage and some seasonings (garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika) and added some more liquid and set for 30 more minutes QR and seasoned to taste with salt and whatever else.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #648 on: November 07, 2017, 04:08:37 PM »
I know you think she is picky but I am always impressed at how adventurous she is! No way on god's green earth would M ever go near a bean.  :D I saw a meme on FB the other day that we should call kids "refusey" instead of "picky" and I completely agree.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #649 on: November 07, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »
I know you think she is picky but I am always impressed at how adventurous she is! No way on god's green earth would M ever go near a bean.  :D I saw a meme on FB the other day that we should call kids "refusey" instead of "picky" and I completely agree.
My kid won't eat cereal, pancakes, oatmeal, sandwiches of any kind, most vegetables if they are not in soup or dip, yellow mac n cheese, etc..... She just has very few foods she will eat BUT those foods include bean soup, indian food, lentil pasta, etc  :rotfl: I call her PARTICULAR not picky. But jeez child, eat a PB&J for lunch.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #650 on: November 07, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »
OMG, RA. I would lose my damn mind.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #651 on: November 08, 2017, 06:11:29 AM »
OMG, RA. I would lose my damn mind.
1!!

So now I will no longer complain about my DD, who likes cheese but will often think it is the MOST DISGUSTING THING ON EARTH. She will consume any form of potatoes happily. it is just hard to provide her with three meals a day that are actually nutritious, but 4 bowls of bean soup yesterday, not gonna complain!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #652 on: November 08, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
I know. But, I can't lose my mind, because then I would be the evil step-mother. It used to be worse (believe it or not) and sometimes I would suddenly have the very urgent need to go for a walk. Or scrub the bathroom.

How old is M? 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #653 on: November 08, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
She's 10. So, starting to get to the age where a lot of kids give up their pickiness. We always hope she'll try something based on peer pressure and like it. That's how she learned she likes salmon, for example.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #654 on: November 08, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
I am just going with it is ok for my kid to only eat bean soup, it is healthy  :roll:

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #655 on: November 08, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
insanely picky eater stories

Jesus fucking yellow penguins.  That was exhausting to skim.  M eats PBJ nearly every day and it annoys me that she wants the crusts removed.  No more. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #656 on: November 08, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
She's 10. So, starting to get to the age where a lot of kids give up their pickiness. We always hope she'll try something based on peer pressure and like it. That's how she learned she likes salmon, for example.

I asked because I was wondering (a) is she old enough to participate in cooking and then, (b) do you have the patience to cook with her?  My nephew who is 12 was the world's most reluctant eater... at about 8 years old, my sister started getting him to help with the cooking... he didn't like everything he helped prepare, but he was much more willing to try it and much more likely to decide he liked it if he had something to do with making it.  But that's a whole other level of commitment if you are happy with just eating out to make things more manageable...  :d

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #657 on: November 08, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »
She's will to help but it has no impact on her willingness to eat. But, good suggestion.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #658 on: November 09, 2017, 06:26:44 AM »
Really good suggestion 'bou.  By 10 they can make a lot of basic things on their own and motivated children can really cook a lot of items.  Sometimes that results in nibbling on ingredients.  Sorry it doesn't help for now, RA.  For what it's worth, you have the patience of a saint.

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #659 on: November 10, 2017, 08:20:35 AM »
RA: I would not throw away those $4/pound apples. Have you tried one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Newness-Stainless-Steel-Serrated-Ergonomic/dp/B074KGD2TC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1510319937&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=apple+slicer+and+corer&psc=1

I sometimes take a few bites in an apple and find I do not particularly like it for whatever reason.  I place it in the fridge and add it to the next batch of apple sauce.  Apple sauce freezes dry well, too.  But I have apple sauce every day with my yogurt.

+-SUPPORT US