Author Topic: Marathon Maniacs  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Marathon Maniacs
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »
What is the purpose of this organization beyond making money?

http://www.marathonmaniacs.com/are-you-a-marathon-maniac/maniac-criteria

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
Re: Marathon Maniacs
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »
To give that srlopez character something to do. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
To give that srlopez character something to do. 

But you can do it without paying this organization.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »
Probably in the minority around here but when it comes to running I prefer quality over quantity. e.g., one 2:30s marathon is better than 697 3:30 to 5 hour marathons.

But to each their own.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »
I have not quite understood it, but I guessed it was just a way for people who liked to do a lot of marathons to hook up and be very very OTT obvious about their love of running a lot of races. I dunno.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »
the yellow is pretty
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:51 PM »
I like to fly under the radar, not stick out, except if pacing, so yeah, that singlet  :nono:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:16:47 PM »
Probably in the minority around here but when it comes to running I prefer quality over quantity. e.g., one 2:30s marathon is better than 697 3:30 to 5 hour marathons.

But to each their own.

I don't get the impression that people are into lots of racing here. I note, however, that as I am aging, I have to adjust what I call quality, and quantity is not going to increase at this point.

At the marathon I did yesterday, there were lots of people with that T-shirt, and one of them even wore one yellow and one red sock.

Also, another woman was competing her all-the-states challenge and told every participant and every aid station about it.

I talked to a few of these people, and really, all they could talk about was how many races they had done and when their previous race was, etc. Not one of them ever asked me about my race history.  And I do not volunteer the information or blast it out to anyone.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 08:37:05 PM »
The slower you get, the more you will encounter ;) I have met many nice ones and many annoying ones, just like any other population :D

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 02:20:15 AM »
There were about two dozen of them taking a group photo before the start of the Missoula Marathon.  I qualify at the lowly bronze level, but haven't joined.  I don't like their logo wear. 

Have yet to join the 50 States & DC club, but probably eventually will.
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »
I could not care less, so I don't get it.  I select my marathons based on small size, convenient date, close location, and low price. 

iwuzwilson

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »
Have met some IRL and online. Whatever gets you out the door is usually a good thing. Wonder about those 3X or 4X around 50 staters though - how can you afford that much travel and so many entry fees? Neither are cheap and doing 50 states in one year would have to cost into the many 10s of thousands of dollars.

Anyway, one of my sort of goals is to do about two consecutive years of what I call the "sweat circuit." These are mid-distance spring-summer races, like Lilac Bloomsday, Bay to Breakers, Bolder Boulder, Bix 7, Peachtree, Falmouth, the Boilermaker, Beach to Beacon, and maybe a couple of others.   

+-SUPPORT US