Author Topic: heat + eat = review  (Read 53601 times)

Offline mango

• The Runners
Re: heat + eat = review
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 04:59:57 AM »

better than meh.

I'll buy them again if they go on sale again  :D

also, I love pretty much every kind of dumplings from around the world.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 06:58:30 AM »

better than meh.

I'll buy them again if they go on sale again  :D

also, I love pretty much every kind of dumplings from around the world.

Yes, I buy these every once in a while, too.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 07:07:34 AM »
As long as we are bringing the love for Amy's, I like these too - but the downfall is that I'd eat the whole box and I think it's supposed to be 2 servings...

And I don't know if it's heat + eat, but I do like the frozen rice (brown, jasmine, etc.) that you can get a Trader Joe's. I know it seems silly to not cook something as simple as rice, but it really is convenient.
This space for rent.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
As long as we are bringing the love for Amy's, I like these too - but the downfall is that I'd eat the whole box and I think it's supposed to be 2 servings...

And I don't know if it's heat + eat, but I do like the frozen rice (brown, jasmine, etc.) that you can get a Trader Joe's. I know it seems silly to not cook something as simple as rice, but it really is convenient.

I cannot seem to cook rice to save my life. Those microwave ones are awesome. and it gets done in 3 minutes (I get Rice expressions.) 

and I have to disagree about Mrs. Ts. Don't like them.  But I may be biased because I grew up with homemade pierogis. Buying frozen was verboten.  (as an aside, not a huge fan of any pierogi, so there is also that.)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 02:28:28 PM »

as an aside, not a huge fan of any pierogi, so there is also that.

Can someone please translate the words above for me?   :confused:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
she's delirious. 

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 02:58:09 PM »
???

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
I am not a fan of the pierogies either so  :P  I will eat them because, cheese and potatoes but they are kind of glorified school paste IMO. 
Because PANTS

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 07:31:18 PM »
The Polish would not be happy about this thread.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
I have been buying these amazing blue potatoes with dark blue flesh right through the potato.  They stay blue when cooked (don't turn grey).  I bet that would make fantastic perogi filling...

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 08:13:25 AM »
I have been buying these amazing blue potatoes with dark blue flesh right through the potato.  They stay blue when cooked (don't turn grey).  I bet that would make fantastic perogi filling...

I bet.

also, will the blueness of the blue potatoes seep into the dough and make those pierogies with blue potato filling blue when cooked?

probably not, but who knows.

you must make them pierogies and find out.

and when you make them, you must also freeze some, and send them over to me, so that I can heat, eat and review them for this thread.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 08:25:22 AM »
...and with that, we come full circle! Nicely done, mango.  :d
This space for rent.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
Hey, i am Polish, thus the way I got some good quality homemade Pierogis and I still just do not like them. bleh

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 09:05:41 AM »
Nicely done, mango.

grazie, cgraz.

as a thread starter, I felt it was my duty to point out the grave responsibilities that come with bringing blue potatoes into the fold.

also, speaking of blue potatoes, I was being serious when I wondered about the possible effects the blueness of those blue potatoes might have on pierogies.

my current hypothesis is that the pierogies will not turn blue.

why? I just don't think potatoes, even the blue ones that stay blue when cooked, have that kind of penetrating power.

potatoes are not, after all, blueberries.

or pomegranates.

anyway, these were the things that were on my mind during the morning's run.

... some good quality homemade Pierogis... I still just do not like them.

and this, I believe, is what makes you delirious.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 09:08:26 AM »
grazie, cgraz.

as a thread starter, I felt it was my duty to point out the grave responsibilities that come with bringing blue potatoes into the fold.

also, speaking of blue potatoes, I was being serious when I wondered about the possible effects the blueness of those blue potatoes might have on pierogies.

my current hypothesis is that the pierogies will not turn blue.

why? I just don't think potatoes, even the blue ones that stay blue when cooked, have that kind of penetrating power.

potatoes are not, after all, blueberries.

or pomegranates.

anyway, these were the things that were on my mind during the morning's run.

and this, I believe, is what makes you delirious.

in the interest of science, I will now have to make some and report back... I will try to maintain thread discipline, however, by freezing them before cooking and eating

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
I do not think they will turn blue but I think a blue tint will show through the dumpling part.  Like a vein. 
Because PANTS

Offline redkitty

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
I should have answered this ebfore...but as it has been pointed out, i am delirious.  HEE HEE.  Anyway, a place in Cleveland (west side market if anyone of you are aware of it) sells pierogis of all types.  They have some filled with purple potatoes...the shell is normal color.  You can see the color through the shell, but no, color did not transfer.  I would say the same with blue potatoes.  and that place definitely sells some interesting filled pierogies.  My DH got himself some bourbon chicken ones once while we were there. 

Oh and question for those who eat pierogies...what type of cheese do you typically see/eat in them? I ask because I have this friend at work who grew up near Detroit.  The pierogies she has always eaten are filled with some sort of white dry cheese.  I have never heard of this, nor anyone else I have asked.  I normally see cheddar (For typical filled ones that is.) 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 10:14:39 AM »
Oh and question for those who eat pierogies...what type of cheese do you typically see/eat in them? I ask because I have this friend at work who grew up near Detroit.  The pierogies she has always eaten are filled with some sort of white dry cheese.  I have never heard of this, nor anyone else I have asked.  I normally see cheddar (For typical filled ones that is.) 

I grew up across the river from Detroit and had a Polish aunt.  Pierogies in those parts commonly had pressed/drained cottage cheese in them, but you could also get them with cheddar if you made an effort.  The most common fillng, to my recollection, was green onion.  I occassionally went to my aunt's on pierogy day; she put green onion and cottage cheese in her filling, but made cheddar and bacon ones for my uncle.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »
I would say the same with blue potatoes.
yeah, like we're gonna believe the words of some delirious person who dislikes good quality homemade pieorgies.

plus, purple is purple and blue is blue, so, there.

in the interest of science, I will now have to make some and report back... I will try to maintain thread discipline, however, by freezing them before cooking and eating.
on behalf of the curious of the world, I thank you.

also, in that spirit of gratitude, and to further the interest of science, may I suggest that you take both routes in your experiment, that is, the fresh route and the frozen route? because, you know, freezing might do something mysterious to those blue potatoes. like, when I'm freezing, my lips turn blue, you know?

anyway, I thank you again in advance for your contribution to solving this very peculiar problem.

yours in dumpling love,

mango

[edited to replace useless verbiage with more pertinent stuff]

in the meantime, yesterday, I gave lean pockets another try; this time, one made with chicken and Whole Grain:

and the verdict is... meh bordering on blech.

I guess that seals it; no more lean pockets for me.

I also picked up some frozen pizzas, for which I have high hopes.

we shall see.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:22:47 AM by mango »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
I should have answered this ebfore...but as it has been pointed out, i am delirious.  HEE HEE.  Anyway, a place in Cleveland (west side market if anyone of you are aware of it) sells pierogis of all types.  They have some filled with purple potatoes...the shell is normal color.  You can see the color through the shell, but no, color did not transfer.  I would say the same with blue potatoes.  and that place definitely sells some interesting filled pierogies.  My DH got himself some bourbon chicken ones once while we were there. 

I remember the West Side Market fondly.  And I'm used to pierogies with cheddar and sauteed onions in them.  I'm not sure if I'd want mine to be blue.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US