Author Topic: Easy meal ideas? Freezer meals? Crockpot meals?  (Read 34060 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Easy meal ideas? Freezer meals? Crockpot meals?
« on: December 06, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »
Alright y'all, I have to get into some kind of rhythm. I'm just wandering aimlessly. I haven't cooked since a week or two before I had Sophia and I think I should start back gradually. I'm not an exceptional cook anyways, now throw an extra kid in the mix that needs 90% of my attention and I don't even want to think about doing anything.
So can y'all give me some ideas. I have a crockpot. What kinds of things do you freeze? I do stuffed peppers a lot but not much else. I want to get used to having a home cooked meal most nights and eating out occasionally, instead of the other way around. Suggestions?
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Easy meal ideas? Freezer meals? Crockpot meals?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »

ETA: I just went through the 30 day gourmet website (listed below) and I think it has some good links on freezer cooking if you want to learn more about it. 

I really am the wrong person since I hate cooking. however, I go through phases where I really want to eat in more.  So I have lots of make ahead freeze cookbooks.  Essentially, just about anything can be pre-cooked and then frozen. Exceptions are leafy greens and potatoes that aren't in anything (their texture changes, so if it is in a stew it will probably be ok because a mushy texture for a potato ina  stew isn't really that bad.)  I don't think frozen cooked fish is good, either...but I do not eat fish so I might not be remembering that well.  Personally, I hate the crock pot so I can't help you there.

Decent ideas for cooking and then freezing:  Stews, soups, mac and cheese, lasagna (this does not have to be cooked, just pre-assemble and put into freezer.  You can cook it at the temp you normally would cook it. If cooking from frozen you add about 30-45 min to normal cooking time..in general I cook my lasagna at 425, but I will say if cooking from frozen it is better to go with a lower temp...350.   Pizza dough. You essentially par=cook it.  Make your dough, cook it according to directions for 3-4 min.  Then either put the crust in the freezer by itself or put it in assembled.  Can be cooked from frozen, usually 12-14 minutes. 
Sloppy joes, tacos (just the meat, the rest shouldn't really be frozen, though you can attach a bag of cheese to the meat if you need them together.)  Meatloaf.

Another option to try, are the places like Dream Dinners www.dreamdinners.com  I have no idea if one is near you or not.  But these types of places are all over the place.  At the minimum you can see what they offer and try to create your own (the food is NOT pre-cooked...so if it is a chicken dish you would assemble all of the pieces together and then once you want it you cook it then...I would recommend that for most of your meals actually....prep is usually the longest part anyway...which is one of the reasons I do not like the crock pot...it saves me no time.) 

also plenty of cookbooks out there that have the freeze meals. 

Here is a link. I have the original cookbook and the soup cookbook you can download. I like the format of this particular one because you do not have to make 10 meals in one session and it gives you the measurements for different quantities.
http://www.30daygourmet.com/

Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer is another one
Once a Month cooking (if you google once a month cooking you will get lots of cookbooks...check them out of the library before you commit.) 

One thing about once-a month cooking...it is a lot of work for one session.  this is why i would recommend you stick to making one meal, but doubling it so you can freeze it. With a new baby and all of your other responsibilities, I do not see where you would find the time or more importantly, the energy to do a giant session at once.  If you have a Dream Dinners type place near you, that will be MUCH faster than doing it on your own. it will also be more expensive, but in my opinion worth the extra money if you want to go that route.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:04:04 PM by redkitty »

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:11:04 AM »
Thanks redkitty!!

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
Do you have a Trader Joe's near you?  We had their panko-crusted tilapia the other night.  It comes frozen and you just bake it.  They also have a good selection of precut and washed veggies in their produce dept that can be a quick side dish.

This is pretty much a dump-and-go crockpot recipe that is tasty.  You can skip the rice and just eat it in tortillas if you want.
http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/07/taco-chicken-bowls-1066-recipe-133.html

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
Yeah, if you have a TJ's near you, I second that. They make a lot of stuff that is pretty close to as good as home-made without all of the pita of actually making it. It kind of pisses me off, actually.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »
No TJ's. :(

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »
I know a lot of people like that delivery service... swansons? schwanns? or something like that?

LilyLily

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
I have been eating the heck out of this recipe:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can black beans
1 can chili beans
2 cans Rotel
1 can corn
1 can tomato sauce
chicken broth to cover
1 packet of taco seasoning

shove it all in the crock pot.  Cook on low for 5 hours.  Shred the chicken.  Garnish w/ cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:33:20 PM by Lily »

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »
RA I don't think we have that here.

Lily that looks good. Thanks!

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »
Lily, that does sound good - and it seems like you could do a lot with it. Serve over rice, or put in a tortilla, or top a salad. It's making me hungry just thinking about it!
This space for rent.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »
It is Schwan's.  Here is their website. http://www.schwans.com/?kwid=Google-search-ppc-traditional-text--Competitors--Swanson--swansonfooddelivery--Exact

I have never eaten their food. One of my co-worker's mom's used to get this all the time. Co-worker said the food is fine. 

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »
You could probably bread up a mess of "oven fried" chicken strips and freeze them, I think you would just have to thaw and bake.

serve with a side of roasted veggies and taters.

LilyLily

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
Super Easy and Good Dinner tonight!

Cut 3-4 chicken breasts into strips
Cut 2 peppers and an onion into strips

put cumin, salt and whatever other fajita(ish) spices you like.  I actually used a fajita seasoning packet into 2tbs of oil.  Coat the chicken in it.

Put, the chicken, veggies and 1 can of Rotel into a pyrex baking dish.  Bake at 400 for a half hour.  Serve w/ the normal condiments and tortillas. 

I think you can do this with Shrimp or steak as well.  Also, I think I might make some freezer bags up of the veggies and chicken to throw in the freezer and have it ready.  The kids loved it too. 

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »

1 can black beans
1 can chili beans
2 cans Rotel
1 can corn
1 can tomato sauce
chicken broth to cover

shove it all in the crock pot.  Cook on low for 5 hours.  Shred the chicken.  Garnish w/ cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips. 

This soup is good. 

LilyLily

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »
Lily the fajita idea is great!! The soup too. Thanks!!!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »

1 can black beans
1 can chili beans
2 cans Rotel
1 can corn
1 can tomato sauce
chicken broth to cover

Tried this last night. It was GREAT!

LilyLily

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 07:03:21 PM »
Tried this last night. It was GREAT!

YAY!  I'm so glad you liked it.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
What is Rotel?

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »
What are chili beans?

+-SUPPORT US