Author Topic: Hello Fresh  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
Hello Fresh
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:23:59 AM »
I'm trying Hello Fresh next week.  I only signed up for 2x a week meals, and have already skipped two out of four weeks in February, but I'm tired of the same old quick meals during the week.

Have you tried it?  Since I'm already used to chopping and dicing, that won't be a burden.  I'm really hoping it will add a little pizazz to our meals. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Hello Fresh
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »
I like the idea but have never done it. I've heard good things though!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »
What kind of meals do you get?

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
I haven't tried Hello Fresh, but I'm doing a similar service (Home Chef) and liking it so far.  The recipes are interesting without being too complicated.  I'm getting 2 meals/week too, and that's enough for me.  When I was doing Blue Apron, I think I was getting 3x/week, and it was too much.  I kept falling behind, so what should have been fun and helpful was actually stressful.  Not to mention the complexity of the recipes which typically took 45 minutes to an hour to pull off and always seemed to create a heap of dirty pots, pans, containers, and utensils.  I'm better with simpler. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »
I looked up Hello fresh and now I am getting ads from them everywhere...   :(

Offline ihop

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »
I tried Hello Fresh last year.  My friend had a coupon - I think it was for three meals for four people?  I can't remember.

My thoughts:
Recipes were good; we all liked the food.  They were easy to follow and I have made all of them again.
Portions were off - we like to eat a lot of veggies.  The meals included veggies but I supplemented.
Packaging - there was so much waste.  Cardboard, ice packs, tiny bottles, etc.  I hated the amount of trash (not everything could be recycled).  The tiny bottles irked me especially but I have a well stocked pantry and had all of these ingredients on hand; I can see how they could be useful to others.

I got some new recipes and some new ideas.  Dinner was delicious and fast.

I look forward to your review!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »
Thanks! My first box arrives tomorrow. I’ll let you know.  :)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:38 PM »
We tried it for the first time and it got two thumbs up by everyone but Maddie. It was pork and Thai basil stir fry and she didn’t like the bok choy. It took about 30 min to prep and cook, as advertised, and I only dirtied one pan. I should have used my wok, but that was a tactical error on my part.

I was concerned that the 4-serving meal wouldn’t be enough for all of us, but I had small seconds and there is still a little left for my lunch tomorrow. I wouldn’t have ever made anything like this on my own. So far so good!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:11:59 AM »
yay!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline ihop

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »
Good news!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »
Second meal was baked chicken parmesan, and it was ok.  It's just not something that I would normally want to make, so it's basically my own fault for even picking it.

I do like how I don't have to think in order to make something that I wouldn't normally make.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 03:09:49 PM »
Yeah, I generally like chicken parmesan, but the version served up by my Home Chef food service was just okay.  I do better when I order stuff I wouldn't generally make, like this Tortilla Chicken concoction from last night.  The roasted chicken topped with cheese, jalapeno, and crumbled tortilla strips was pretty good.  But, the roasted chipotle acorn squash with a drizzle of lime crema and chopped cilantro sprinkled on top was soooo good!  I wanted to eat the second portion too, but I had company. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »
That looks so good! do you get a recipe you can reproduce on your own from these?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »
That looks so good! do you get a recipe you can reproduce on your own from these?

Yes, all the meals come with the recipe printed and illustrated on a prepunched 8x10 sheet that you can save in the notebook they send you when you start the service.  You can also go back and see them online.

https://www.homechef.com/meals/tortilla-chicken

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »
I got my first hello fresh box last week. 2 meals/week for 4 people. So far I love it. Another bonus to it is that they provide a card, in addition to the recipe card, that has all the nutritional info on it.  I didn't expect to have so much left over but there's plenty for lunch the next day or two.
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
VP-- will your kids eat the meals?

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 02:16:45 PM »
VP-- will your kids eat the meals?

Mine are pretty good eaters. The youngest complains but when he starts eating he likes it. The eldest appetite has kicked in so eats anything that's not nailed down and then asks for snacks.
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 09:40:51 AM »
I got my first hello fresh box last week. 2 meals/week for 4 people. So far I love it. Another bonus to it is that they provide a card, in addition to the recipe card, that has all the nutritional info on it.  I didn't expect to have so much left over but there's plenty for lunch the next day or two.
Yes!  And should you choose to make the meal again, the recipe is right there for you.

I'm getting my second box today.

I do really dislike the enormous box it ships in and wish they would do some sort of box exchange.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 12:01:42 PM »
I did when the husband was on extended travel. I enjoyed it.

+-SUPPORT US