Author Topic: Good vegetable recipes  (Read 60029 times)

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Re: Good vegetable recipes
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 09:18:48 PM »
Is it better if there's chicken on top?  :D  I haven't made this, but want to:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/skillet_chicken_with_baby_bok_choy/

This is delicious, though you'd need to skip the mushrooms.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/eggs_nested_in_sauteed_chard_and_mushrooms/

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 11:16:46 PM »
DH can eat what I make or fend for himself.

While I think it's a sweet gesture when people factor my likes and dislikes into menu planning, I also acknowledge that the person doing the cooking has absolute control over what gets served.  I eat everything that other people put on my plate, or I make sure I'm the one doing the cooking. 

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
I don't know about main dishes, but I just made a big batch of pickled vegetables using a Mark Bittman recipe. It's good for snacking or side dishes. Really easy to make, and an easy way to up your veggie intake.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 02:59:21 PM »
Oh, and we liked this. My husband didn't even realize it was cauliflower.

http://www.freshoffthegrid.com/drunken-cauliflower-tacos-with-quick-pickled-red-onions/

I think most of the recipes on that website are pretty healthy. I've only tried the tacos.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »
Barry turned me on to this and it's awesome. Crack Broccoli. Just roasted broccoli finished with roasted almonds, lemon juice and zest and Italian cheese. I subbed parm cause I have it. I cut the oil a bit. She has other good recipes.
http://www.abeautifulplate.com/roasted-broccoli-toasted-almonds-lemon-pecorino-cheese/

I am of the camp if you don't like what I am making, fend for yourself and more leftovers for me.

Of course, I am single so it doesn't really matter :)
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »
i recommend deborah madison's "vegetarian cooking for everyone."

i use that cookbook very often; the recipes are excellent.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »

I have it, too.  DH's very first gift to me.  He knows what's good.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 03:06:07 PM »
We really like this one a lot too. I have definitely sat down and eaten an entire recipe at once (not recommended).

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016146-broccoli-salad-with-garlic-and-sesame

I like a lot of Melissa Clarks' recipes (lots posted on ny times)

One way I increased my veggie intake was to have a salad and a hot vegetable with dinner. I do sometimes feel I need a bit of starch to feel satisfied. So I'll do a 1/2 cup serving of rice plus a giant veggie stirfry and then I'm more satisfied than if I ate just the stirfry and no rice. But limiting my portion helps me keep it reasonable on the rice.

What are you eating too much of that you are trying to eat less of? That might also help with suggestions. I know you guys eat a pretty healthy diet to begin with.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
We really like this one a lot too. I have definitely sat down and eaten an entire recipe at once (not recommended).

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016146-broccoli-salad-with-garlic-and-sesame

I like a lot of Melissa Clarks' recipes (lots posted on ny times)

One way I increased my veggie intake was to have a salad and a hot vegetable with dinner. I do sometimes feel I need a bit of starch to feel satisfied. So I'll do a 1/2 cup serving of rice plus a giant veggie stirfry and then I'm more satisfied than if I ate just the stirfry and no rice. But limiting my portion helps me keep it reasonable on the rice.

What are you eating too much of that you are trying to eat less of? That might also help with suggestions. I know you guys eat a pretty healthy diet to begin with.

Yes and Martha Rose shulmann, too.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »

I just put that on my list.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
A vegan friend of mine recommended these three websites. I haven't tried them but am posting them anyway. That way I can find them later too. ;)

http://www.veganricha.com
https://vegan8korean.wordpress.com
http://www.thebuddhistchef.com

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
Vegan richa is one of my faves. Oh She Glows is another good one.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
My problem with vegan sites/books is that damn near everything has soy in it and I can't eat soy.

Also I am not really trying to give up meat. I am trying to come up with more creative vegetable dishes. I will investigate some of the recipes in this thread though.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 08:41:55 PM »
But the vegan sites have yummy veggie recipes :D Easily made into side dishes. Oh She Glows has a lot of soy free ones. SHe has a cookbook which is lovely and you can see if your library has it. I eat very little soy now a days, it is not hard. I eat a lot of beans. But for cooking veggies, really no need for soy, most recipes i make do not even call for Tamari or soy sauce.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »
But the vegan sites have yummy veggie recipes :D Easily made into side dishes. Oh She Glows has a lot of soy free ones. SHe has a cookbook which is lovely and you can see if your library has it. I eat very little soy now a days, it is not hard. I eat a lot of beans. But for cooking veggies, really no need for soy, most recipes i make do not even call for Tamari or soy sauce.

I hope I don't come across as critical, but what exactly do you eat, Meri? (besides beans). Aren't you vegan? Gluten and grain free? And now almost soy free?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
I made the roasted broccoli upthread.this weekend.  It was rasty. I skipped the cheese.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:40 PM »
Is rasty good, bad, or a typo?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 12:45:01 AM »
Tasty! It was tasty!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:23 AM »
MM, there are some soy sauce substitute recipes online. They look healthier, and I am going to try one when I am back home.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 06:39:33 AM »
I hope I don't come across as critical, but what exactly do you eat, Meri? (besides beans). Aren't you vegan? Gluten and grain free? And now almost soy free?
Lots and lots of food!!! Yesterday I had chickpea scramble with avocado for breakfast, lentil soup for lunch, taco salad with refried beans for dinner. I do not chose to not eat soy but I just do not seem to eat much of it since we eat mostly beans for protein--- lentils (brown, green and red!), black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, white beans, northern beans, aduki beans, etc. There is no lack of variety either. The other day i made a sweet potato black bean hash with an egg on top for lunch. Once I stopped eating grains I had to let up on the no eggs a bit but even that i do not eat many, though with the IP we do keep a lot of hardboiled eggs on taps for food emergencies :D

+-SUPPORT US