Author Topic: suggestions for housewarming.. my final list at the end.. please review  (Read 17727 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Now I need suggestions for what to serve at a housewarming
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »
Yes we do!  Food is love!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 11:22:57 PM »
I second cold cuts, I find that people are particular about their salad sandwiches.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
I second cold cuts, I find that people are particular about their salad sandwiches.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I just got a big spiral ham at work.. I'm going to serve that and the roast beef and meatballs and maybe do a chicken salad  and skip the tuna salad.. that should be enought of a variety in case anyone is particular.. oh.. and I will still get the vegan wrap tray.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
if i come will it be vegan and gluten free? :D Things are leaning towards being able to come, which is good, but sad that we may miss family as their schedules are not aligning with ours.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »

if i come will it be vegan and gluten free? :D Things are leaning towards being able to come, which is good, but sad that we may miss family as their schedules are not aligning with ours.
I've got to go to vge and plan that platter but I can't promise no huge vats of ham, roast beef and meatballs!  I'm going to skip the chicken salad per the advice above.. Just cause I love it doesn't mean I should serve it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »
How'd it go?!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
It is not until the weekend after next  :eyeroll: Sheesh MoS, keeping us waiting. I will give a FULL report as it appears like I should be able to make it now.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »

It is not until the weekend after next  :eyeroll: Sheesh MoS, keeping us waiting. I will give a FULL report as it appears like I should be able to make it now.

Yes I will be posting more menus.. My daughter told me I'm planning too much food so I'm going to count on you guys to tel me where to cut.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 08:47:30 PM »
I'd cut the mac n cheese and the roasted vegetables.

That leaves you with a variety of sandwich options,
your friend's winter salad,
Cheese and crackers, grapes
Mixed nuts
Chips, guac and salsa.

Plenty of food, lots of variety.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 09:34:05 AM »
yeah i think you have WAYYYY too much food. I had about 15 adults Sunday and had the hummus sampler, and the rice salad and the quinoa salad and had tons of leftovers.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
I agree with seattlegirl. 
Because PANTS

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 11:06:01 AM »
yeah i think you have WAYYYY too much food. I had about 15 adults Sunday and had the hummus sampler, and the rice salad and the quinoa salad and had tons of leftovers.

Ok.. I'm cutting.. but I still think 4:30 is snacks not dinner.. and 7 is dinner.. plus with drinks and stuff and people will stay longer and be nibbling off and on more.. I think.. but I'll cut!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
4:30 is snacks, you're right. Which is even more reason to cut. The secret to stress-free hosting is not to spread yourself too thin and it's easy to do that with too many different dishes. Do a couple of things, executed really well. It doesn't sound like a lot of work (and none of those things is, individually) but what you've got laid out is a lot of work on the front and back end and you'll end up with lots of leftovers to deal with.

Frankly, you could do a nice cheese board with crackers, meats, olives, nuts, fruit (apples, grapes, and maybe some fig jam) and your guac/chips/salsa and if you really wanted to get crazy, do some mini quiches (the frozen ones from costco or trader joes are really excellent). Just that would be plenty for a snacks & a drink reception kind of thing. I promise!

But if you really want to do the whole sandwich thing just going with cheese, meat, a tray of veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion, maybe pickles, maybe some grilled veggies- but totally not necessary) & condiments. Skip all the hot stuff in crock pots. Skip the chicken and tuna salads. Skip the mac & cheese. Keep the salad, since your friend is making it. Keep the chips because they are easy. IMO (and as a vegetarian) you have plenty of vegetarian options in that bunch. I don't think it's necessary to do a whole seperate veg spread.

A make-your-own sandwhich platter is sometimes cheaper (or within spitting distance) of buying everything and assembling yourself... just something to think about!

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
I thought MoS was saying that meri's party was at 4:30 (snacks) but her own party will be at 7 (dinner)... no?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »
I thought MoS was saying that meri's party was at 4:30 (snacks) but her own party will be at 7 (dinner)... no?
Mine was 4:30 and the last people left after 8pm, so i looked at it as dinner, MoS looked at it as snacks. I am pretty sure everyone did not go home and eat dinner, LOL. For us 7pm is bedtime, LOL!

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
And what time is MoS's party?

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »

4:30 is snacks, you're right. Which is even more reason to cut. The secret to stress-free hosting is not to spread yourself too thin and it's easy to do that with too many different dishes. Do a couple of things, executed really well. It doesn't sound like a lot of work (and none of those things is, individually) but what you've got laid out is a lot of work on the front and back end and you'll end up with lots of leftovers to deal with.

Frankly, you could do a nice cheese board with crackers, meats, olives, nuts, fruit (apples, grapes, and maybe some fig jam) and your guac/chips/salsa and if you really wanted to get crazy, do some mini quiches (the frozen ones from costco or trader joes are really excellent). Just that would be plenty for a snacks & a drink reception kind of thing. I promise!

But if you really want to do the whole sandwich thing just going with cheese, meat, a tray of veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion, maybe pickles, maybe some grilled veggies- but totally not necessary) & condiments. Skip all the hot stuff in crock pots. Skip the chicken and tuna salads. Skip the mac & cheese. Keep the salad, since your friend is making it. Keep the chips because they are easy. IMO (and as a vegetarian) you have plenty of vegetarian options in that bunch. I don't think it's necessary to do a whole seperate veg spread.

A make-your-own sandwhich platter is sometimes cheaper (or within spitting distance) of buying everything and assembling yourself... just something to think about!
Mine is at 7 it's dinner.. My friend isn't making the salad now since she's making a hot cocktail.. I'd rather have too much food then not enough

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
I'd rather have too much food then not enough

That's my entertaining mantra too.  Really what's worse?  People left the party hungry or I had some left-over food? 

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
Re: suggestions for housewarming.. my final list at the end.. please review
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »
Here's my final list (pasted from my email that I sent to my daughter and friend..)  Please review and let me know if I am missing anything.. I tried to cut.. but i have basically the sandwich stuff.. the mac and cheese, the vegan platter and then munchie stuff... I can already see I forgot to list my veggie platter onthe email so add that in... thanks!
here's my final stuff/list.. tell me if I am missing anything and what I should add/cut

Meatballs and marinara sauce
roast beef au jus
Ham ( i have free from work so might as well use)
special mustards for ham
rolls, bread etc
pickles and other condiments (do you think I need this?)
Platter from VGE ( vegan and I'll get gluten free wraps on them)
mac and cheese (becky in charge of this)
quinoa and sweet potato salad ( i like the recipe and not too many veggies since I will have veggie platter)

( do you think I need or should get potato chips too to go with the sandwiches?)

This stuff will be in kitchen..
Out in living room/dining room..

cheese platter with 3-4 chesses, crackers, maybe some dates ( i already have so might as well use)
nuts ( almonds)
add.. veggie platter and dip
tortilla chips, salsa and gauc..
M and M's..
cookies from my cookie swap for dessert

Cecy's cider/rum drink
Wine and beers.. tell me how much wine and what kind to buy?  Kevin is buying cheap beer and I wll try to pick up some craft beer at wegmans ( i can only get two at a time!)
People will being alcohol too i think and I may even mention that on fb invite..

plates, napkins, silverware.. ( wine glasses .. cecy and linda) that should be enough but I may pick up some at dollar store
cups for hot drink..

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: suggestions for housewarming.. my final list at the end.. please review
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 11:09:11 AM »
good lord! will there be 30 people? LOL.

+-SUPPORT US