Author Topic: Making corn tortillas  (Read 12962 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Making corn tortillas
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
Is it imperative to have Masa instead of corn flour? I cannot for the life of me find organic, non GMO masa, only corn flour. I got a tortilla press and want to try it out tomorrow. I am going to call one more place to see if they have it.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
Re: Making corn tortillas
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:03:52 PM »
No clue, but let us know how it goes!

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »
The masa is cooked and soaked in lime, which makes the corn more digestible.  A quick Google search seems to indicate that corn flour or corn meal is not sufficient.  You could make your own though: http://www.cheeseslave.com/homemade-corn-tortillas-part-one/

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »
Lime? I also saw lye as well as lime though some recipes just using corn flour.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
Lime? I also saw lye as well as lime though some recipes just using corn flour.

Wikipedia says lime, but an article I found about hominy suggests that you could use either lime or lye.  It sounds like the main purpose is to burst the skin of the corn kernel, which is too tough to eat.  I can't tell exactly how this would be different than corn flour or corn meal though I suspect it would affect the taste, since hominy doesn't really taste like corn.  Using lime does add calcium, and both lime and lye make the niacin in the corn bioavailable.  I'd say try out the corn flour since it is much easier to find, but if it doesn't work out for you then maybe making your own is an option. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »
I think I will just try the corn flour and see how it turns out. I have found a bunch of recipes that just use corn flour not masa.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:18:55 AM »
Not sure if badger comes to the food thread, but she posted in one of the Yammering threads that she makes homemade tortillas, so I would PM her and ask.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
good idea!

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Making corn tortillas
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
I doubt it would make a difference. Isn't masa a whole grain vs corn flour?

I missed if you're using a press. Cut a gallon bag and use it to line your press. I also sometimes roll them thinner with my rolling pin (in between the bag halves).
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
I doubt it would make a difference. Isn't masa a whole grain vs corn flour?

I missed if you're using a press. Cut a gallon bag and use it to line your press. I also sometimes roll them thinner with my rolling pin (in between the bag halves).
Masa is corn flour treated with lime or lye, so probably not much different in the long run. I have a press, never used it, just arrived in the mail :D Will line it and report back. We are going out to dinner tonight with family, so not sure i will make any tonight but definitely tomorrow.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
I made my first batch and i think they were yummy. DD did not agree.  :eyeroll: They stuck pretty badly to my plastic wrapped press, so i added more flour and used parchment paper.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »
Bobs Red Mill is organic and non GMO, according to this website: http://www.plantoeat.com/blog/2013/05/non-gmo-corn-tortillas/

I've made them but not often.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 06:51:26 AM »
Bobs Red Mill is organic and non GMO, according to this website: http://www.plantoeat.com/blog/2013/05/non-gmo-corn-tortillas/

I've made them but not often.
I got the bob red mill corn flour, could not find the masa, i went to 4 stores. i do not live near a whole foods.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »
I got the bob red mill corn flour, could not find the masa, i went to 4 stores. i do not live near a whole foods.

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Golden-24-Ounce/dp/B004VLVJ9U/ref=sr_1_16?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1378158875&sr=1-16&keywords=bob+mills

That's a lot of masa, though. You might need to make tamales too.  :P

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
The local natural food store is going to see if they can special order it or me.  :fingers: I really don't want to trek to Whole Foods for multiple reasons.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 06:54:11 AM »
I finally broke out my tortilla press last night!  I'm so excited.  Turns out making tortillas is nearly as easy as buying them and (a) tastier AND (b) they didn't tear as easily... even a couple hours after making them, they were still flexible enough to roll. 

I have a feeling that like when I got a pasta maker, this is a kitchen gadget that will change my life.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »
I finally broke out my tortilla press last night!  I'm so excited.  Turns out making tortillas is nearly as easy as buying them and (a) tastier AND (b) they didn't tear as easily... even a couple hours after making them, they were still flexible enough to roll. 

I have a feeling that like when I got a pasta maker, this is a kitchen gadget that will change my life.
did you make corn or flour?

I am waiting for the store to call me back about special ordering the masa for me.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 07:49:12 AM »
did you make corn or flour?

I am waiting for the store to call me back about special ordering the masa for me.

corn, using masa

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 07:50:34 AM »
corn, using masa
i am hoping they call me, i really do not want to trek to whole foods. I actually even went to the local mill and they had corn meal, not masa. LOL. I did get some cheap GMO free organic ears of corn.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 07:55:38 AM »
i am hoping they call me, i really do not want to trek to whole foods. I actually even went to the local mill and they had corn meal, not masa. LOL. I did get some cheap GMO free organic ears of corn.

:fingers:

+-SUPPORT US