Author Topic: I bought some zucchini and squash tell me something EASY to do with it..  (Read 7243 times)

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
No more than 4 or 5 steps please!!!

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
And I have tomatoes and carrots too.. and foot long string beans

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
i posted a handful of zucchini recipes in the CSA thread.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
1. Slice into rounds, sprinkle with dried basil, steam, eat.

2. Dice into cubes, dice onion, saute zucchini/squash and onion in olive oil, add a bit of salt, eat.

3. Cut zucchini in half the long way. Sprinkle with garlic powder, then top with thinly-sliced tomatoes and parmesan and/or mozzarella cheese. Bake until squash is crisp tender and cheese is melted. Eat.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Clementine's number 2 is what I'd do.  Maybe add black pepper and parmesan.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
I second 2... I like garlic powder on them in addition to salt and pepper.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline qarhon

• Borderline
Slice in long wedges, coat with olive oil and spices, grill.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
I bought some zucchini and squash tell me something EASY to do with it..
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »
If the zucchini is fresh and sweet, I'd just slice it I to wedges and eat or into rounds and throw it I to a salad.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
The other night I sauteed some with green onions.. a little salt and pepper.

Very easy.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Saute some chopped onions in olive oil in a frying pan (or saute pan if you want to be fancy pants).  Add zucchini and/or squash sliced into rounds about 1/4" thick and keep sauteing.  Add some rough chopped fresh tomato and keep sauteing.  Season with salt, pepper, and a lot of Parmesan right at the end.  Cook until zucchini is still a little crisp but not mushy.  If you have fresh basil, throw a handful on the whole mess and stir it in before serving. 

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
We usually just steam it in the microwave and add a bit of butter when we're looking for super easy. Also good is to slice it in long slices and brush with olive oil and mint, grill, then add a bit of feta. Watching this thread closely--I only planted two zuchinni plants this year after being totally overwhelmed last year, but had another 3-4 plants come up as volunteers  :panic:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
i wish we had that much zucchini. Only two of mine made it to plant and they have seemed to have stalled. We just moved them today, so maybe they will grow. there was a little zucchini on there, but it did not grow bigger than an inch or two and then it just fell off :(
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
If you're grilling your main course, then slice the zucchini and put it into a foil packet, season with salt & pepper, garlic if you like, whatever else floats your boat. Seal foil tightly into packet and put on grill - flip a couple of times, shake around once in a while.

Hardest part is knowing when it's done, but I just usually leave it on for as long as whatever else I'm cooking and guess...it usually works ok. And there is no dish to clean! I love tinfoil.  :D
This space for rent.

Offline picote

i wish we had that much zucchini. Only two of mine made it to plant and they have seemed to have stalled. We just moved them today, so maybe they will grow. there was a little zucchini on there, but it did not grow bigger than an inch or two and then it just fell off :(

That's so strange--do you have a feel for why they're not doing so well? Hopefully they'll recover, but be careful what you wish for! I can't even keep up with harvesting them,  so we end up with these monster zucchini--I have no idea what to do with them!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
That's so strange--do you have a feel for why they're not doing so well? Hopefully they'll recover, but be careful what you wish for! I can't even keep up with harvesting them,  so we end up with these monster zucchini--I have no idea what to do with them!
I would just be making zucchini bread and freezing and gifting it :D

I have no idea. Our weather has been very hot and very rainy, so maybe the rain? I dunno.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord

Offline picote

Offline diablita

• The Runners
that sounds delicious, witchy!  my family loves zucchini, olives AND Burrata
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
I bought some zucchini and squash tell me something EASY to do with it..
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »

I don't have much at all I bought it at the farmers market because it was a good deal. I was thinking of making some kind of main dish but I think I'll do radials idea of sauteeing

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
I pinned some stuff today...  do you follow my Yummy board?  One was zucchini boats, where you hollow it out, chop that up with onions, veggies, etc...  cook a bit in a skillet, add to ground beef (or something similar), stuff it back in, sprinkle with cheese and bake.  It looks good.

+-SUPPORT US