Author Topic: vegan yogurt?  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
vegan yogurt?
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:58:53 AM »
I noticed some soy and some other "non-dairy" yogurts in the supermarket.  Can you make yogurt yourself without including dairy at all?  How do you get the starter bacteria in there?  I make all my own yogurt with milk, but it would be fun to experiment.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
Re: vegan yogurt?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »
You can buy the grains.  I know people make coconut kefir and yogurt. 
Because PANTS

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
You can. Same process as milk. The only thing about most non dairy yogurts is that they don't really have any nutrition. I'd rather spend the calories on something else, but ymmv!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »
You can. Same process as milk. The only thing about most non dairy yogurts is that they don't really have any nutrition. I'd rather spend the calories on something else, but ymmv!

Why don't they have nutrition?  I was going to use coconut, rice, or soy milk.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »

Well, check out the nutritionals on those... If it's within the realm of what works for you than it's great! They are mostly carbs and fat, which I eat judiciously... So, not a great choice for me, but ymmv.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »

Coconut milk and rice milk don't really have any protein in them, so neither would the yogurts you make with them.  Depending on whether they're fortified, they may or may not be similar to cow's milk in regards to calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and other vitamins/minerals.  I'm also not sure how well unsweetened milks would ferment to make yogurt, because the bacteria in cow's milk yogurt need eat the milk sugars.  If there's no carbs in the milk to feed the bacteria, I am not sure that you'd get yogurt. 

Sweetened soy milk does have protein and carbohydrate, so you might want to try that first.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »
I am not a fan of non dairy yogurt. Happy Herbivore has a non dairy "yogurt" recipe made with banana, lemon juice and silken tofu I
Find tasty, and you can add probiotics if you wish.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 07:30:28 AM »
Coconut milk and rice milk don't really have any protein in them, so neither would the yogurts you make with them.  Depending on whether they're fortified, they may or may not be similar to cow's milk in regards to calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and other vitamins/minerals.  I'm also not sure how well unsweetened milks would ferment to make yogurt, because the bacteria in cow's milk yogurt need eat the milk sugars.  If there's no carbs in the milk to feed the bacteria, I am not sure that you'd get yogurt. 

Sweetened soy milk does have protein and carbohydrate, so you might want to try that first.

Oh, brainfart...  why did I not think of protein?   :bat:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
If you like soymilk, that is a good one to use. I'm not a fan of it so I always forget!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 01:33:10 PM »
I saw an almond-based yogurt in the store today.  http://amandeyogurt.com/

I picked up the cherry one (because cherry + almond =  :-*), and had a look: 6 g of fat per serving, 3 g of protein, 14 g sugar.  For comparison I picked up a same-sized Astro Balkan style black cherry yogurt: 4 g of fat, 3 g protein, 12 g sugar. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »
Amande is one of the few brands I do buy for DD. It is relatively new in our area.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

+-SUPPORT US