Author Topic: Please recommend a cookbook or website filled with healthy recipes  (Read 14293 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Re: Please recommend a cookbook or website filled with healthy recipes
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
Oh, in that case you need this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Horn-Moon-Cookbook-Ginny-Callan/dp/0060960388/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_pap?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363389348&sr=1-1&keywords=horn+of+the+moon+cookbook

The flautas are wonderful, the hot carob drink incredible, it has my go-to spanikopita recipe in it, the cream of spinach and mushroom soup is da bomb.
I don't understand a word you said but I'll check it out. :D

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Please recommend a cookbook or website filled with healthy recipes
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 08:07:56 AM »
Jaques Pepin is wonderful!

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 07:36:04 AM »
Thanks guys!

RA - I'm all full up on gardening books, so I think I'm going to set my sights on cookbooks now.  So thanks for the suggestion!

I guess when I said "low carb" I didn't truly mean low carb... I just meant maybe not like macaroni casserole topped with bread crumbs as are in my current cookbooks. :D

And I think I have discovered the secret to eating vegetables... I mostly don't like vegetables.  But holy shit, sautee those suckers in olive oil and red wine vinegar and they're awesome.  I just enjoyed broccoli on my pasta!

I'll probably have to lighten up on the oil, but that's ok.   Plus when you cook grape tomatoes and onions they get really sweet... so it kind of satisfies my sweet tooth without a bag of chocolate.   I'm just kind of assuming that if the sugar is naturally occurring like that it's better than a bag of chocolate.

If you are looking for more ideas to make vegetables more appealing, try roasting. I have come to really love most veggies when they are oven-roasted and carmelized. I'm talking carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, summer squash & zucchini, and Brussels sprouts, along with the usual suspects like sweet potatoes and onions. Toss with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and lay them out on a sheet pan (I line with foil for easy clean-up) and leave 'em alone in the oven for a suitable amount of time depending on how big the pieces are and how dense the veggies themselves are. For things like carrots, I also cover with foil for the first 15 minutes to help them get a little tender before they start to brown.

Plus, oven roast some of those little tiny tomatoes, toss with olive oil and caramelized onions, and put that over some nice angel hair pasta (carb satisfaction without so much heaviness) with shaved parmesan, and you will be in HEAVEN. There's that sweetness you mention. Yum. And fast and simple.

I hear you on the carbs - I don't do "no carb" or really "low carb" but I choose my carbs carefully - whole grains, fruits & veggies - and enjoy in moderation, not as the main course, a la macaroni casserole.  :D I figure a little carb is ok if it comes in something that also bring me fiber and other nutrients and isn't "empty."

And on the breakfast tip - I have made a hot breakfast cereal with quinoa instead of oatmeal - add diced apples and cinnamon, and it's hearty and satisfying, plus a boost of protein, as MoS mentions. Easy to make a batch on Sunday or Monday and then have a quick easy option with a cup of it warmed up every morning.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:38:39 AM by cgraz »
This space for rent.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »
I hear you on the carbs - I don't do "no carb" or really "low carb" but I choose my carbs carefully - whole grains, fruits & veggies - and enjoy in moderation, not as the main course, a la macaroni casserole.  :D I figure a little carb is ok if it comes in something that also bring me fiber and other nutrients and isn't "empty."

This is me too. Mostly I just skip the carb component of a meal. Like, I eat a big bowl of stir-fry, no rice. I eat scrambled eggs and either skip the toast and potatoes or have a slice of high-fiber bread. I already posted about my "less pasta" option. Like cheese, most of the time I don't even miss it. But, through experimentation I've found the places where it really matters to me. I need a LITTLE pasta in my bowl of pasta. I need crust on my pizza... things like that.

Or, a reasonable substitute. I like whole barley (not pearled) or farro as a sub for rice. 1/2 cup is a reasonable portion and for me is a good substitute. Way more fiber and protein so it doesn't spike your blood sugar. I make a big batch and freeze it in 2cup portions. I will thaw 1 batch at a time and eat on it for a couple of days.

[/quote]
And on the breakfast tip - I have made a hot breakfast cereal with quinoa instead of oatmeal - add diced apples and cinnamon, and it's hearty and satisfying, plus a boost of protein, as MoS mentions. Easy to make a batch on Sunday or Monday and then have a quick easy option with a cup of it warmed up every morning.
[/quote]

This is also a great suggestion. I do something similar but use farro. I cook the farro with milk to add a little more protein (although it has a lot in it already). I eat it with stewed prunes... which I know sounds gross, but really they are super yummy!

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:17 PM »
d. madison's "vegetarian cooking for everyone"

I was going to suggest this too!

Such a good resource.

I subscribe to Clean Eating and they have weekly meal plan ideas that are invaluable!

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 12:36:46 PM »
This has some good stuff, but they aren't adding anything anymore... http://www.mediterrasian.com/

and I use this one a lot... http://www.eatingwell.com/
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »
Plus when you cook grape tomatoes and onions they get really sweet...

Yes they do.  As do the red bell peppers. 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
This has some good stuff, but they aren't adding anything anymore... http://www.mediterrasian.com/

and I use this one a lot... http://www.eatingwell.com/

Thank you, I was just going to request a Mediterranean diet cookbook.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »
Maybe this is too obvious, but I really like the Cooking Light website/magazine.  They lighten a lot of recipes to healthful versions, create a lot of their own, and on their website you can search recipes with specific parameters (like low fat, low carb, etc.)

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »
Yes! I've used some great recipes from Cooking Light over the years. Not "diet" food but healthier versions of good things, that are still tasty and usually pretty easy.
This space for rent.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »
Maybe this is too obvious, but I really like the Cooking Light website/magazine.  They lighten a lot of recipes to healthful versions, create a lot of their own, and on their website you can search recipes with specific parameters (like low fat, low carb, etc.)

+-SUPPORT US