Author Topic: Beans from a can vs cooking from scratch  (Read 10937 times)

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: Beans from a can vs cooking from scratch
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »
Hmmm... I guess I would say it's sort of the difference between "soup I made myself" and "soup from a can". Does that help?

That's a great analogy. 

If I'm using beans as an ingredient in a recipe, I'll generally go with canned and rinse really well. 

If beans are a side dish, I'll start with dried. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 08:03:32 AM »

Fwiw, the sodium content in some of those packaged/boxed rice mixes would blow me up like a puffer fish, so I rarely ever buy them more than once-twice a year.
Not a pretty sight.

I think the sodium content in premixed rice packages is high, if the rice is not cooked yet.  In many cooked rice packages, it is OK< as far as I know.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
I was just talking about instant white rice.  It doesn't have any sodium at all.  The rice is enriched with iron, thiamin, niacin, and folic acid.

And may contain wheat, soy and milk.  Which is sort of surprising.  Maybe it's processed in the same factory with that other stuff.  None of those are technically ingredients.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
I think wpj must be talking about ricaroni type things? The 3 min frozen rice from trader joes is just rice, plus water. It's exactly like the rice you cook yourself, only you don't have to do any of the work. Yay!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
I think wpj must be talking about ricaroni type things? The 3 min frozen rice from trader joes is just rice, plus water. It's exactly like the rice you cook yourself, only you don't have to do any of the work. Yay!

Yes, I think so, too.  Or the Near East Ric pilav package.  Very salty.  I have some from Uncle Ben's that I use when camping, and some are just plain white or brown rice, heart healthy.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »
I was just talking about instant white rice.  It doesn't have any sodium at all.  The rice is enriched with iron, thiamin, niacin, and folic acid.

And may contain wheat, soy and milk.  Which is sort of surprising.  Maybe it's processed in the same factory with that other stuff.  None of those are technically ingredients.

One of DH's coworkers had to go to gluten free because her daughter was having issues (she was breastfeeding.)  they found that white rice often has gluten in it...it is the way it is processed...not necessarily cross contamination, but however it is processed they use gluten to do it.  (His co-worker could explain it better.) I am sure some brands are better than others when it comes to this.

+-SUPPORT US