Author Topic: It Starts With Food  (Read 23787 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: It Starts With Food
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »
No legumes?  :e) I would starve! Must be a meat eater book.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 05:42:03 AM »
So, you going to give it a try?

I pretty much have been for a little while and love it so far.  I still eat a small amount of oats for breakfast and my Dukan inspired pancake on Sundays, but otherwise it's been Paleo.  I don't think I've been eating enough calories as i started to feel tired, so i upped my fat last night and felt better immediately.

So far:
I've lost 15# in six weeks.
I do not crave anything.
I no longer eat then need to fall asleep.
For the first time in 10 years I've been able to stop my allergy meds.
My joints/muscles don't ache and my chronic headache is gone.
My endometriosis this month was better than its been since i was 12.

I'll try getting rid of the oats soon, but it seems to be working well so far.

Meri- it does prefer animal protein as a protein source.  I haven't reached the why section yet.

I'm not sure if I believe all the science and the book is upfront to say it doesn't either.  Basicically they're presenting it as a "here's the science, be aware that some science is always changing, but this is what we've put together that seems to work well for us and our clients" sort of thing.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 07:22:34 AM »
keep me posted! i get most of my protein from beans.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Lintu

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »
I pretty much have been for a little while and love it so far.  I still eat a small amount of oats for breakfast and my Dukan inspired pancake on Sundays, but otherwise it's been Paleo.  I don't think I've been eating enough calories as i started to feel tired, so i upped my fat last night and felt better immediately.

So far:
I've lost 15# in six weeks.
I do not crave anything.
I no longer eat then need to fall asleep.
For the first time in 10 years I've been able to stop my allergy meds.
My joints/muscles don't ache and my chronic headache is gone.
My endometriosis this month was better than its been since i was 12.

I'll try getting rid of the oats soon, but it seems to be working well so far.

Meri- it does prefer animal protein as a protein source.  I haven't reached the why section yet.

I'm not sure if I believe all the science and the book is upfront to say it doesn't either.  Basicically they're presenting it as a "here's the science, be aware that some science is always changing, but this is what we've put together that seems to work well for us and our clients" sort of thing.

That's awesome!
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 05:43:29 PM »
I pretty much have been for a little while and love it so far.  I still eat a small amount of oats for breakfast and my Dukan inspired pancake on Sundays, but otherwise it's been Paleo. 

I've been eating this way for a while too.  Including the Dukan galette, but I eat one every day as breakfast.  And it's oat bran, not oats so I give myself a pass there.  However, I also cheat for real a fair amount.  I'm sure it would work even better if I was more scrupulous.  But it's working pretty well, so I don't have any urgent incentive to get all crazy about it.  I don't tend to do well with overly restrictive diets over the long haul.  Paleoesque, now that I can do forever. 

Offline CheryG

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
I've been eating this way for a while too.  Including the Dukan galette, but I eat one every day as breakfast.  And it's oat bran, not oats so I give myself a pass there.  However, I also cheat for real a fair amount.  I'm sure it would work even better if I was more scrupulous.  But it's working pretty well, so I don't have any urgent incentive to get all crazy about it.  I don't tend to do well with overly restrictive diets over the long haul.  Paleoesque, now that I can do forever. 

I'm finding the restriction of Paleo wonderful for the time being.  It makes my life so much easier to walk into a grocery store and be able to steer myself away from, well, most of the store.  It's so simple.  I'm not being delusional in that I expect to eat this way forever, but it's not difficult at all.  Different, but not difficult. 

Except for breakfast.  Breaking the grains for breakfast for the past 40+ years is more difficult!  Partly because I often like to have eggs for lunch.  I need to move the eggs to the AM and have something else for lunch!  Paleo porridge was yummy as all heck- dried unsweetened coconut with coconut or almond milk, a handful of nuts and some frozen raspberries.  So good it made me feel guilty to eat it.

Try my pancake, you might like it...
http://terragarcia.blogspot.com/2013/03/pancake-14c-coconut-flour-14c-oat-bran.html

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »
Try my pancake, you might like it...
http://terragarcia.blogspot.com/2013/03/pancake-14c-coconut-flour-14c-oat-bran.html

I will, thanks!  Mine are tasty enough, but boring.  1/4 cup oat bran, 1 egg, blob of soft cheese, cinnamon or garam masala, packet of sweetener.  I make a savory version too by leaving out the sweetener and adding a pinch of salt and a touch of cayenne and/or ground black pepper. 

Offline CheryG

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 09:17:42 PM »
Hmmm.  Savory.  I wonder how the coconut flour would take to savory.  Dill or oregano maybe.

My favorite seasoning combo for eggs right now is oregano/basil/dried onion, pretty much in equal parts.  I keep meaning to grind a bunch up to put in a shaker.  I call it my egg powder.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »
That is bizarre.  But really, it shocks me that a person could exercise as much as you AND be vegan and have any weight to lose.  That's not to say I doubt you -- it just boggles the mind.

I don't think being vegan has anything to do with it.  I think calories in/calories out is what counts.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:13:28 PM by Ice Cream »

Offline CheryG

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 07:08:55 AM »
This is interesting.
A calorie is not a calorie.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 07:40:59 AM »
I don't think being vegan has anything to do with it.  I think calories in/calories out is what counts.
well, yeah, but i have been logging my calories for a couple months. Being really diligent and still not seeing any change, so it is not always as simple as calories in/calories out.  :eyeroll:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 07:44:04 AM »
My post says: "I think (!) a calorie is a calorie."  I am very aware some people do not think so. I know, however, that when I consume fewer calories for a few weeks and keep my regular weekly mileage, I lose weight.  But that is just me. 

As to vegan food, in the context of which I made my statement: a vegan diet is not necessarily a healthy one or one that leads to weight-loss: you still have to make choices that are sound.  (I am not saying that Merigayle is not eating well, though. My comment was not directed at her.)

Thing is: my mother lived through World War II in Europe. At the end of the war, she did not see obese people anymore in her neighborhood. And no, they did not fall victim to the war.  Their food supply had been limited, though.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 08:58:05 AM »
well, yeah, but i have been logging my calories for a couple months. Being really diligent and still not seeing any change, so it is not always as simple as calories in/calories out.  :eyeroll:

Years ago I was able to lose a wonderful amount of weight by counting calories.

This time around I followed the same protocol I used that time and it didn't work nearly so well.  I even adjusted for a lower BMR and while I did lose some weight it wasn't much.  Plus I was killing myself with exercise- three to five hour hikes once a week plus half hour daily workouts during the week.

That's why I decided to change it up some.  This has worked wonderfully.  I'm down 16# now, with the health benefits I didn't expect.  I'm not hungry and I've barely exercised.  (I ride one or two horses a day and go for a two mile run or walk once or twice a week.)

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 10:07:26 AM »

I want to say that Meri is not overweight.. I have seen her in person.. I think what she is getting at is she wants to be a lower weight for the type of races and running that she does.. maybe I'm projecting.... but I see her in person and she looks great!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »
I want to say that Meri is not overweight.. I have seen her in person.. I think what she is getting at is she wants to be a lower weight for the type of races and running that she does.. maybe I'm projecting.... but I see her in person and she looks great!

And she keeps saying that, too, she says she wants her pre-pregnancy weight.  I think not gaining weight at age 52 is more difficult than it was at 35-40. Part of it is adjusting to the fact that we burn less calories as we grow older, but our mind set does not recognize that yet, and we are used to a certain quantity of food that we eat and could eat in the past.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 12:05:34 PM »
I'm not older, I'm more efficient.  :yikes:

Offline Lintu

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »

Just being on a temporary dairy-free diet, I'm having trouble getting enough calories.   I imagine it's even more difficult on a vegan diet!
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 07:00:40 AM »
Just being on a temporary dairy-free diet, I'm having trouble getting enough calories.   I imagine it's even more difficult on a vegan diet!

I was on one for quite a few years. I simply substituted other products/foods for the calorie intake.  I got back to low fat dairy, because I believe it's the best and most reliable source for calcium. I know some people will contest that.  I simply do not want to take products that are calcium fortified. The new studies about calcium at/after menopause do not support taking supplements, and calcium fortified goods contain supplements. I do not see how I could get the calcium that I need in your post menopause years without dairy. And soy is not something I want to have a lot of.

Offline Lintu

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »
I was on one for quite a few years. I simply substituted other products/foods for the calorie intake.  I got back to low fat dairy, because I believe it's the best and most reliable source for calcium. I know some people will contest that.  I simply do not want to take products that are calcium fortified. The new studies about calcium at/after menopause do not support taking supplements, and calcium fortified goods contain supplements. I do not see how I could get the calcium that I need in your post menopause years without dairy. And soy is not something I want to have a lot of.

I love dairy and I don't think it's harmful - I'm trying it out to see if it helps my nursing baby :)  But I don't really like the milk or cheese substitutes, am somewhat intolerant to soy, and don't want to go overboard on nuts while nursing, so I end up on a pretty healthy diet.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 01:22:07 AM »
This is interesting.
A calorie is not a calorie.

The British accent convinced me.

+-SUPPORT US