Author Topic: Run Amok!  (Read 5948 times)

Offline harmony

• Help me, I'm melting....
Run Amok!
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:44:57 PM »
Thank you for posting this site in the spaghetti squash thread in yammering:

urbanposer.blogspot.com

because this recipe is amazing!

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/07/vietnamese-cauli-fried-rice-wnuoc-cham.html

I made it for dinner tonight and it was incredible.  I changed it a little, no eggs since DH hates them and used tofurkey kielbasa because I'm not a sausage fan.  Holy moly, I wish I'd made twice as much so there were leftovers!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Run Amok!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »
Onawhim actually shared this one first... I am just a reporter, but Im glad you enjoyed it! It freezes super well too, btw.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »
Yes, that looks really good. I am getting the ingredients for that today...  Thanks, RA.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
Oh, I'm going to have to try that!  Thank you!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »
That looks really good.  I had a big head of cauliflower with no particular destiny.  Just picked up the other ingredients (except for the asparagus, dangit), so this is going to be Sunday dinner. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
I was wondering if I could use my blender to rice the cauliflower.  Googled up this video.  Haha, she's kind of funny.  Puh-LAYo :)  Gonna give this method a try. 

the fastest way to "rice" cauliflower

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Are you in the wrong thread? Or thinking of making this with cauliflower instead of spaghetti squash?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
RA, they followed your link to the spaghetti squash and ended up finding the cauliflower fried 'rice'
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 11:57:11 PM »
Oh, duh!

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
Made this tonight. Loved the flavor but wonder if I over processed the cauliflower ... It was almost mushy before adding veggies and didn't have too much texture after it was all mixed. Any tips on the ricing?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
a lot of people look quite short when standing next to their kitchen counters.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
Re: Re: Run Amok!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »
Made this tonight. Loved the flavor but wonder if I over processed the cauliflower ... It was almost mushy before adding veggies and didn't have too much texture after it was all mixed. Any tips on the ricing?

I did the same thing.  Stop blending before you think you should, and it comes out perfect.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
I made this for lunch today. I grated the cauliflower instead of food processing it. It was *good* but it wasn't anything close to fried rice.  :D More like stir-fried veggies with eggs. Since I'm not paleo I'd toss in some farro next time for that rice texture plus fiber and protein. I do splurge on real fried rice sometimes though. It's so worth it!

I used a slightly different method than their two-pan nonsense. I "riced" the cauliflower and then diced up some garlic, ginger, and shallot and mixed that in. Cooked the whole thing over high heat and a hot pan until it was all brown and even a little burnt. Put that aside on a plate. Allow pan to heat again; add the asparagus, edamame, peas and cook until a bit charred. Make well, scramble eggs. Toss in the cauliflower mixture and top with soy sauce, sesame oil, and a bit of unseasoned rice vinegar. Yum yum!

+-SUPPORT US