Author Topic: Soy cheese? Or mozzarella cheese substitute  (Read 8006 times)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Soy cheese? Or mozzarella cheese substitute
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »
With such a great success trying the coconut milk in place of cow's milk, I now would like your opinion on mozzarella cheese substitute.  Specifically, what is a good option for a substitute cheese for making homemade pizza?

I don't have any issues eating cheese; in fact, I love cheese.  But I would be very interested and inclined to reduce some of my dairy intake in favor of more soy or other vegan alternatives where appropriate.

Thanks.  :)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Re: Soy cheese? Or mozzarella cheese substitute
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »
Sorry, but -  :vomit:

If I had to give up cheese, I would just give it up* - the substitutes are vile, gas-inducing grossness.

*what a horrible thought.

Well, that's why I asked first.  :D

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:36:43 AM »

If I had to give up cheese, I would just give it up* - the substitutes are vile, gas-inducing grossness.

1. I'm not into substitute foods...whether you're talking paleo, vegetarian, vegan, etc.
This space for rent.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:40:45 AM »
Oh, well, I don't mind substitute foods at all.  I regularly eat veggie dogs & veggie burgers and soy nuggets and veggie lunchmeat.  I grew up eating meat & lunchmeat and I like the taste and texture very much.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
you can use less cheese, either less mozzarella, or a different sort of cheese, like feta or soft goat cheese that is crumbled or cubed and dispersed scantly

I wouldn't substitute.  If I were to make pizza for my sister who can't eat milk proteins from any source, I would just make a different sort of pizza, so the cheese wouldn't be missed... like use a thick swiss chard/ walnut oil/ garlic puree instead of tomato sauce (let the walnut oil provide the richness cheese normally would), and just not use any cheese.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
Daiya brand is a non soy non dairy cheese, Teese is another I have heard good things about but it is not available here. I have not tried making my own mozzarella alternative but it is probably next on the list. Look for a cashew based recipe, IMO, those have been the best. I have done well with a cheddar which can be sliced and shredded as well as a spreadable goat cheeze from raw cashews.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »
You can certainly give the soy cheese a try, I thought it tasted awful and it did a number on my GI tract (processed soy products do not agree with me).

Watch out! At first the processed stuff was all that bothered me but now it is all soy. Now I can't even have soy sauce with my sushi or a bite of edamame. :(

Offline qarhon

• Borderline
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »
We tried the Trader Joe's vegan cheese recently when a vegan friend came over... it didn't taste bad but it also did not really taste like anything. And it was oddly gooey when melted and stuck to the roof of my mouth. Would not buy again.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »
I have had tofu in place of ricotta in a lasagna and it was good, but the soy mozzarella on top was nasty.  Fortunately it peeled off in a sheet so I could just leave it on my plate and enjoy the rest of the dish.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
 :sidesplit:
This is my concern with cheese substitutes -

Daiya "cheddar cheese" ingredients: filtered water, tapioca flour, palm fruit oil, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and/or pressed safflower oil, pea protein, coconut oil, salt, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, vegan natural flavours, gum arabic, lactic acid (vegan, for flavor), annatto, titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral), natural smoke flavour, vegan enzyme.

Cabot Brand cheddar cheese ingredients: pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes
Yep and why we don't eat it! Cashew cheese ingredients- raw cashews, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »
1. I'm not into substitute foods...whether you're talking paleo, vegetarian, vegan, etc.

i'd roast some cauliflower with garlic, mash it, and spread that on the dough...  maybe with some caramelized onions, or something.  no cheese substitute.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 01:04:24 PM »
Thanks!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »

i'd roast some cauliflower with garlic, mash it, and spread that on the dough...  maybe with some caramelized onions, or something.  no cheese substitute.

There's a coal-fired pizza place in Fort Lauderdale that makes the most incredible roasted cauliflower pizza (Anthony's).  It has red sauce (not a lot), roasted cauliflower and garlic, a touch of romano and a small amount of mozzarella.  You could totally make it without the cheese though it has much less cheese than usual.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »
Oh, well, I don't mind substitute foods at all.  I regularly eat veggie dogs & veggie burgers and soy nuggets and veggie lunchmeat.  I grew up eating meat & lunchmeat and I like the taste and texture very much.

But for cheese, I wouldn't do soy. It routinely disappoints. Cashew cheese, on the other hand...
It seems to work better when I'm cooking for vegans.

+-SUPPORT US