Author Topic: ham and lentils  (Read 3295 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
ham and lentils
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »
I don't make ham very often, because it's difficult to come by good ham around here.  But the place where I buy local goat and lamb had some local, locally cured, bone-in smoked shoulder available recently.  So I did a ham.

I will confess that I don't use my own recipe.  I roughly follow this ginger beer and tangerine braised, honey-mustard glazed recipe:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/864635/ginger-beer-and-tangerine-glazed-ham
(yesterday it was cara cara rather than tangerine, with additional slice fresh ginger in the pot)

anyway, when I was deciding what to serve with it, I notice this "goes well with" suggestion on the site for puy lentils braised in the pot liquor from the ham and thought, well, what the heck, why not give it a try:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/864644/chilli-and-tangerine-braised-lentils
I substituted sweet red pepper for the carrot, shallots for the onion, and didn't bother with the creme fraiche or the additional orange juice/rind.

did I mention I make a good ham?  well, listen to this, the lentils were the best part of the meal, hands down.

I think you could do a pretty good vegetarian version with part veg stock and part ginger beer, orange zest, grated ginger and a bit of liquid smoke in lieu of the ham cooking liquid.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: ham and lentils
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
the lentils sound tasty; I love lentils.  Glad your meal turned out so well.

And I always forget that cara cara is a citrus fruit as well.  For a moment I was confused.

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »
:)

the only reason I was moved to buy cara cara oranges was because of a fantastic Nat'l Geo documentary on the striated caracaras of the Falkland Islands I saw years ago.

some of the footage (the best part starts at 17 seconds, when the birds are destroying the flim crew's camp):
Flying Devils

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
that's seriously fabulous!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US