Author Topic: Delicious roasted cauliflower soup  (Read 11540 times)

Offline Lintu

• Passed on to another Brane
Delicious roasted cauliflower soup
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
Made this tonight and really liked it.  My daughter liked it, too!  DH hasn't gotten to eat yet (kid duties) so I'm not sure about him yet.  He's a skeptic.

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/roasted-cauliflower-cheddar-soup/
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Delicious roasted cauliflower soup
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »
I'm making this tomorrow.  Thank you!  I'll probably just use the stick blender though I'd imagine it was very smooth in your Vitamix.

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »
Ooh I want to make this now!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Lintu

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »
Let me know how you like it! 
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »
That looks great. Wish I'd seen this thread before I went to the store. I'll pick up the ingredients next time. I've been looking to use my blender more...

Offline monster2

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:26:24 PM »
It tastes very good I may have roasted too long though b/c mine is not super attractive... its tan!

Offline Lintu

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
Could be your veggie stock, too.  Mine was...I dunno, beige?  Ecru?  :D

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 06:03:01 PM »
ecru here.  I'm just waiting for the roasted garlic boule I bought to get crusty in the oven (I meant to bake some myself but ran out of time this morning).  It's very delicious.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »
This is one of those things that you eat for the flavor, not for the visual appeal. Caulliflower soup is a weird one for me. I usually prefer chunky soups to pureed ones, or pureed ones if their strained through a chinoise so they are extremely silky. But, I'm lazy, so I just eat it pureed instead.  :D

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
It was a delicious recipe.  I added a bit of smoked spanish paprika and a splash of milk before pureeing.

Offline monster2

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
I too added a bit of milk...

Offline Lintu

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
Oh good!  I'm glad you guys liked it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »
yes, it was very good.  and now my sister will be making it later this week.  thanks again!

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
That sounds really yummy. Definitely going to try it.
This space for rent.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 10:22:56 PM »
It is delicious, indeed.  :eats:

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 12:29:37 AM »
Yum!  I will have to make this soon.  I've been trying to stick to soup and salad or sandwich for lunch, and this looks perfect.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 01:24:44 AM »
That's good! I'm lazy so it was a bit more work than I'm willing to do on a regular basis, but I love the idea of making a creamy base out of healthy ingredients

I suspect this could be easily veganized with the substitute of cashews for the cheddar cheese. Any vegans want to try it? I might do that next time to serve to my book clubbers.

I might also be tempted to stick it back in the oven after pureeing to see if I could somehow get a brown crust on top.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »
I've had good luck just leaving the cheddar out of things. So, if I wanted to make it vegan, that is what I'd do. I've had good luck using yogurt or buttermilk in place of cheese if any nonvegans wanted to skip the cheese. I guess you could do that for vegans too- look for a plain vegan yogurt or kefir (though I don't know if they are typically as sour).

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
Yeah, I guess I was thinking of finding some way to replace the protein and fat heartiness of cheese.

I suppose you could even just blend up some tofu in there.

I think I'll add nutmeg next time.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
I wouldn't go the direction of tofu, myself. I think it would be pretty rich & creamy even without the cheese. I might try passing it through a really fine strainer or maybe making it more in the style of a bisque (thickened with rice and then pushed through a really fine strainer) to achieve that really silky mouth feel- and then you probably would not miss the creaminess. A little more work, though. Or, you could try beans, I think. Especially if you puree really finely. You can slip the beans out of their skins (like you would when you make hummus) for an even richer/silkier effect. But I'd probably just skip the cheese and go from there.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 02:34:24 PM »
Coconut cream or milk
Because PANTS

Offline harmony

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:49 PM »
Wow, that sounds good.  On the list!

tpedge

Delicious roasted cauliflower soup
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »
Thanks Lintu.  I just made this today and it is fantastic!

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »
I made this today!  Well, a modified version.

I used a lot of garlic, chicken stock, and no cheese.  I think it's great!  I went heavy on the olive oil when I roasted the cauliflower, and I let it roast long enough to get some charr on the edges.  Yum.

I don't miss the cheese, but another ingredient to try to add to make it richer could be potatoes or white beans. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
Gonna make it tonight, i have some cheddar cashew cheeze that i made earlier in the week, so i will report back, :)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 06:02:20 PM »
It was awesome! DD ate two bowls!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 07:47:23 PM »
oh good!

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
I am really obsessed with this soup.  It's even better the 2nd day.  I'm going to make more probably on Friday.  :D
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Lintu

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »
:D  I'm glad I'm not the only one wanting to make it again quickly.  I'm doing a dairy-free trial at the moment to see if it helps the baby's reflux and I think soups (without the cheese, sadly) will be a mainstay...

Offline monster2

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »
I may not try this again immediately but I am struck by Caito's idea of substituting white beans, those are one of my new fav things to eat so this sounds good!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
I'm wfh and I think I'll make this today. I have some broccoli that needs using, maybe I'll toss that in too.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »
So I made this last night and... I thought it was ok. I didn't have cheddar so I left that out. I tried it plain and found it a little bland. So, I ate two bowls and played around with a couple of different things. One I did with truffle oil and finley chopped, roasted, salty hazlenuts. The other I did with some parmesan. I might try it today with some fage. I think it needs some acid or something. Both the versions I tried were pretty good. Not sure it's worth the roasting step though.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »
So I made this last night and... I thought it was ok. I didn't have cheddar so I left that out. I tried it plain and found it a little bland. So, I ate two bowls and played around with a couple of different things. One I did with truffle oil and finley chopped, roasted, salty hazlenuts. The other I did with some parmesan. I might try it today with some fage. I think it needs some acid or something. Both the versions I tried were pretty good. Not sure it's worth the roasting step though.

i squeezled (typo; i like it) a lemon over the cauliflower prior to roasting (because i like squeezling lemon on veggies prior to roasting).

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
i used cashew cheeze in mine and that is basically cashews + acid (ACV and/or lemon juice).

Offline Lintu

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 05:06:33 PM »

Truffle oil...mmmmmm!

+-SUPPORT US