Author Topic: Milk substitute  (Read 23087 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Milk substitute
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 07:42:45 PM »
Was it the kind in their refrigerator, or the shelf stable stuff? The former is gross, the latter is good on cereal. I haven't tried it in a glass though.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »
i like the so delicious coconut milk (in tetra pak)...  particularly in coffee, but it's fine on cereal.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »
What about trying goatmilk?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 08:21:51 PM »
I'm with meri.  Why bother with milk?  But I'm also not with meri in that I wonder why you bother with working so hard to keep eating cereal.  Eat an egg, a green vegetable, a bit of meat or fish.  Cereal is a habit that you can break. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »
well, i could not tell you the last time i had cereal for breakfast, that was so college, LOL!!! Oatmeal, steel cut oats, tofu scramble, beans and rice, polenta, pancakes, waffles, etc. All much better than cereal. Cereal is too expensive!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 07:00:33 AM »
I'm with meri.  Why bother with milk?  But I'm also not with meri in that I wonder why you bother with working so hard to keep eating cereal.  Eat an egg, a green vegetable, a bit of meat or fish.  Cereal is a habit that you can break. 

The thing is I don't eat cereal at all. I would like a bowl of cereal every now and then, and I used to like it with milk. Specifically, I made this granola last night and I know it would be great with milk but I don't want to spend the day with my throat itchy.

I eat eggs and greens, and am a vegetarian.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »
Was it the kind in their refrigerator, or the shelf stable stuff? The former is gross, the latter is good on cereal. I haven't tried it in a glass though.

Not great in a glass (a bit chalky, even the one from the tetra pak), IMO, but good on cereal. I alternate b/w this and almond milk for my DD's school lunch.  North Carolina requires we send milk as part of their 5-star program (so I have to or my DD's school is hosed.  the pressure!) so I send some every day but she barely touches it.

We don't have allergies or aversions but she gets plenty of dairy from cheese and other sources (a bit of milk at home sometimes) and I like to mix it up.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 07:56:17 AM »
The thing is I don't eat cereal at all. I would like a bowl of cereal every now and then, and I used to like it with milk. Specifically, I made this granola last night and I know it would be great with milk but I don't want to spend the day with my throat itchy.

I eat eggs and greens, and am a vegetarian.
what about putting it in yogurt? can you tolerate yogurt? or there are some good non dairy yogurts out there.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »
what about putting it in yogurt? can you tolerate yogurt? or there are some good non dairy yogurts out there.

Yes. I love granola in yogurt.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »
Yes. I love granola in yogurt.
me too! our local natural food store carries an amazing selection of dairy and non dairy yogurts and i have had a couple almond milk and coconut milk ones that are pretty tasty. They have such a selection, including local yogurts, local goat yogurts, and so much more.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
me too! our local natural food store carries an amazing selection of dairy and non dairy yogurts and i have had a couple almond milk and coconut milk ones that are pretty tasty. They have such a selection, including local yogurts, local goat yogurts, and so much more.

:)  I will keep an eye out. 

I'm supposed to hit the grocery store later today - I will look for some of the suggestions in this thread.  Thanks, all!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »
:)  I will keep an eye out. 

I'm supposed to hit the grocery store later today - I will look for some of the suggestions in this thread.  Thanks, all!
keep us posted!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »
One of my vacation favorite breakfasts EVER was a halved papaya filled with yogurt and topped with fiber cereal.  I doubt the menu at the hotel we were staying at (was in Mexico but I can't remember if it was Cabos or Cancun) called it 'colon cleanse' but they could have.   :D  and it was delicious!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »
Papaya is one of those things I feel I should like... but just don't.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 12:37:14 PM »
I only like papaya dried.  :confused:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »

But the one thing I will say about this is that (other than soy), my experience is that non-dairy "milks" really don't have much nutritional value. Like the coconut milk yogurt is really tasty- but it's essentially empty calories. No protein, no fiber... fat and carbs. I put .5 cup of non-dairy "milk" on my cereal in the morning so I don't really worry about the 30 calories... but, if you're looking for something of substance to actually eat, I'd look towards dairy or goatsmilk yogurt. You could also try goatsmilk on your cereal, as someone else mentioned.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »
But the one thing I will say about this is that (other than soy), my experience is that non-dairy "milks" really don't have much nutritional value. Like the coconut milk yogurt is really tasty- but it's essentially empty calories. No protein, no fiber... fat and carbs. I put .5 cup of non-dairy "milk" on my cereal in the morning so I don't really worry about the 30 calories... but, if you're looking for something of substance to actually eat, I'd look towards dairy or goatsmilk yogurt. You could also try goatsmilk on your cereal, as someone else mentioned.
pretty much. I don't eat any of it. I will buy it occassionally for a recipe calling for non dairy yogurt or for smoothies. It does vary by brand and some are fortified better than others, and i throw flax oil in it for my kid to give it some fat.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »
Oh - and to answer this, I eat yogurt, but ice cream makes me feel poorly and itchy.

yogurt is pre-digested by bacteria... the lactose is broken down, though I don't know if I've ever met anyone with a lactose intolerance who describes being itchy from it... at any rate, maybe some of that thin drinkable yogurt would work well for you on cereal

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »
I know with small kids, some milk allergies manifest as eczema/rashes/itchiness, but not so much with adults.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
I've actually had allergy testing and milk shows up as a mild one, and I get itchy when I drink milk, or use it on cereal, or eat ice cream.  I don't think it's the lactose.

+-SUPPORT US