Author Topic: Milk substitute  (Read 23090 times)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Milk substitute
« on: February 26, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »
What is a good milk substitute, for eating with cereal?  I have a minor dairy allergy and my throat gets itchy when I drink milk.  I can use a little in my coffee or have it cooked with something, no problem, but to pour it on cereal is problematic.

I tried soymilk once and I thought it was disgusting. 

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
Re: Milk substitute
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
I liked vanilla soy milk, so take this with a grain of salt....  almond milk, maybe?

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »
I like hemp milk.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
Are there other dairy products you can eat, like say ice cream or yogurt?

I wouldn't try orange juice.  I'm just saying...
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »
I like the coconut milk that comes in the tetrapak. Slight coconut taste but I don't even taste it anymore. Before that came along, almond was my preference.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
Hmm. DD and DH use plain, unsweetened, organic soy milk. You can try rice, it is a bit sweeter, as is coconut milk. Almond i would not know, not sure i ever had the plain, only chocolate :D I eat my cereal dry, have since i was a kid, we were not raised with milk. My brother used to put white grape juice in his.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
... oh, and whatever you buy, get the plain unsweetened kind. Or that is what I get anyway. The otherones are cloyingly sweet.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:07:55 PM »
I tried coconut milk and I almost threw up so I switched to unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:23:40 PM »
Thanks -  I'd be interested in these alternatives. I wonder if almond mllk is ok if I am allergic to almonds.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »
Thanks -  I'd be interested in these alternatives. I wonder if almond mllk is ok if I am allergic to almonds.

no.  Drinking almond milk is how I found out I was allergic to almonds in the first place :( 

I drink coconut milk
Because PANTS

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »
I like the coconut milk that comes in the tetrapak.

several of my family members eat their cereal w/orange-banana juice or some other similar combo.  i've tried it; not bad.  better w/sorta bland cereals (like oat or rice puffs).

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »
i just love dry cereal, it is all i have known. why would you want SOGGY cereal? ICK!!! LOL :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
I think the key is to just pick a few and start trying them. I wouldn't bother with soy milk though- it's yucky. Anything else is more palatable to me and they all seem to have pros/cons in terms of consistency/flavor/aftertaste. To me, the unsweetened coconut is the most neutral and homogenous of the bunch. But I'd also be fine with rice (though I find it slightly bitter) or hemp as alternatives.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »
Thanks all.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
A little late, but yes to the coconut based milk.  It was prescribed by our pediatrician years ago as both my kidlets are lactose intolerant and my sweet baby girl was allergic to soy.  It was the most like non- or low-fat milk and had a very slight coconut taste.  I buy both almond milk and coconut milk now to use in smoothies and such.  I prefer the coconut milk.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »
I really don't like coconut but I think I just don't like the texture - I do like it in pina coladas :P.  I'll look for it next time I'm out.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
Also I don't know that the soy milk I had was necessarily any good.  It was plain soy milk.  It wasn't vanilla or anything, and it was on an airplane.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 07:02:22 PM »
Are there other dairy products you can eat, like say ice cream or yogurt?

I wouldn't try orange juice.  I'm just saying...

Oh - and to answer this, I eat yogurt, but ice cream makes me feel poorly and itchy.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
Also I don't know that the soy milk I had was necessarily any good.  It was plain soy milk.  It wasn't vanilla or anything, and it was on an airplane.

Totally unsweetened soy milk is sort like liquid cardboard (but very healthy!). I don't mind it that much, but it does taste much better with a little but of sweetness (still fewer grams of sugar than in the lactose of regular milk).

At the same time, most of the time that someone serves you soymilk, it's sweetened, so that's probably what you tried.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
I like the coconut milk that comes in the tetrapak. Slight coconut taste but I don't even taste it anymore. Before that came along, almond was my preference.

They were sampling this in trader joe's and it tasted like that chalky white stuff you take to soothe (though it never does) a bad stomach.  Maybe a bad brand?

Almond breeze vanilla not sweetened is my rec.

+-SUPPORT US