Author Topic: Grits!  (Read 7031 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Grits!
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:49:47 PM »
I think i accidentally made a good grits base for shrimp and grits today. I love grits. Salt, pepper, an butter is just fine with me. DH thinks they're bland. I was watching the pioneer woman on the food network this morning and she made grits to go along beef stew. She put onions, bell peppers, and some other stuff in there. So that gave me an idea to make grits so dh would eat them. I sautéed a chopped up onion, then put the grits in, then used chicken broth instead of water. I let that cook then added some milk and cheese. DH loved it. I didn't put that much on his plate because he usually doesn't want them, but he got up to get more. I had fried eggs with mine and he had scrambled. I hit the table in the middle of us eating because I had a jalapeño that I meant to chop up and cook in the grits. He was so sad that I forgot it. Lol.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Grits!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:40:43 AM »
I have no clue what to do with grits, here in Massachusetts.  I have a box that I bought at Walmart, but I have yet to use it.  I just do not know what to do with it.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »
I make polenta, but never grits.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
I have no clue what to do with grits, here in Massachusetts.  I have a box that I bought at Walmart, but I have yet to use it.  I just do not know what to do with it.

Make shrimp and grits!! Or just make it as the package says, add butter, salt and pepper and eat with eggs. I like to mix my eggs in the grits.

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:19:46 PM »
Nice! DH makes cheesy grits served with sautéed veggies and a fried egg. it's a tasty meal. Poblano peppers are good with it too!

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Being a lifelong northerner I'd never eaten grits until recently when I made these shrimp and grits.  Why hadn't anybody told me about this before?   :eats:

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »
Shrimp and grits is a favorite in our house.  And I love grits with a little cheese and a poached egg.  Maybe I should make that for my lunch...
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Online all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
Ooh I make a jalapeño cheese grits dish that is soooo good; and I don't even really like grits! Is great with steak or thick grilled pork chops :eats:
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »
Ha, the latest cooking light issue has a recipe for shrimp and grits, but I gather that light and southern do not hand in hand.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »
DH made shrimp with cheesy grits earlier this week.  With bacon.  OMG.  I need to get back on the diet.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »
Ooh I make a jalapeño cheese grits dish that is soooo good; and I don't even really like grits! Is great with steak or thick grilled pork chops :eats:

Mmmm! Recipe??

Ha, the latest cooking light issue has a recipe for shrimp and grits, but I gather that light and southern do not hand in hand.
Heh. Not really.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
Mmmm! Recipe??
Heh. Not really.
check the Paula Deen recipe.   :yikes:

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »
check the Paula Deen recipe.   :yikes:

I'm scared. How many sticks of butter does it take?

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:55:22 AM »

You can make them healthy.  You don't need a ton of cream and butter to make it yummy.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Sarah511

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »
Being a lifelong northerner I'd never eaten grits until recently when I made these shrimp and grits.  Why hadn't anybody told me about this before?   :eats:

Crook's Corner! I went to college in Chapel Hill. Haven't been back in ages. Their shrimp and grits is one of the best restaurant meals I've ever had.

+-SUPPORT US