Author Topic: Roasted vegetables!!!!  (Read 11086 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Roasted vegetables!!!!
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:45:58 PM »
On a rare Saturday at home, I've been roasting vegetables all afternoon. I had a ton of stuff from the farm that I needed to use. Here's what I have done so far:

Tomatoes -- I roasted a bunch of romas and made a sauce out of them, with garlic and oregano. I'll freeze some of that.

Squash -- cubed a few delicata and tossed in oil, plus halved a couple of acorns (and some orange pumpkiny one that I don't know the name of) and roasted those just face down on a tray. I'll make black bean soup with the halved ones, and will just eat the cubed squash straight up.

Peppers -- had a bunch of red and yellow ones, cut them up and put them under the broiler (ok, technically not roasted). When they are cool I'll add some olive oil and put them in a jar in the fridge until I can use them.

Cauliflower -- a la CallipyG -- tossed in olive oil, salt, and herbs. Dinner tonight.

Beets -- got this technique from Cook's -- wrapped them in foil (unpeeled) to roast, will peel after they are done and serve with Humbolt Fog cheese. I don't even like beets and I like this.

What do you guys like to roast? And has anybody ever roasted *hot* peppers? I have a bunch and am thinking of trying it. Although I'm also tempted to make either GirlWonder's pepper sauce or (I think it's Bou's) salted peppers instead. If I roast the hot peppers, what should I do with them after that???

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Roasted vegetables!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »
oooh there is this great recipe, maybe i wil make it tomorrow, which is a lasagna pan with quinoa pressed into it (i think 2 cups cooked, but not sure) then top with hummus and then roasted veggies (already roasted) then back in the oven, YUM!!!!!! i like to do sweet potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips, butternut squash, broccoli.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »
oooh there is this great recipe, maybe i wil make it tomorrow, which is a lasagna pan with quinoa pressed into it (i think 2 cups cooked, but not sure) then top with hummus and then roasted veggies (already roasted) then back in the oven, YUM!!!!!! i like to do sweet potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips, butternut squash, broccoli.

That sounds interesting. I like all of those things.

Is there a sauce? It sounds like it could be dry? Or am I missing something?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:30:53 PM »
Its still veggie grilling season here...too hot to roast unless I want to turn on the ac.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
That sounds interesting. I like all of those things.

Is there a sauce? It sounds like it could be dry? Or am I missing something?
no sauce. the veggies get tossed in garlic and oil and balsamic.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »
I pretty much haven't met a roasted veggie I didn't like.

A current favorite is roasted leeks and sweet potatos and then adding kale in the last 15minutes. I serve with an over easy egg on top.

This recipe is a bit of work, but it's one of my all time faves. I eat it either with an egg or with a veggie sausage. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Garbanzo-Beans-and-Garlic-with-Swiss-Chard-241110

Another combo I like a lot is cauliflower, sweet potato or winter squash, garlic cloves, and shallots

Broccoli is a nice roasting veg- I look for ones with a nice stalk attached

I also like to roast summer squash, green beans, asparagus, and other veggies like that. I use a higher temp and roast for a shorter period... but I can tollerate these veggies cooked a little softer if they're roasted.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 03:12:06 PM »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 03:52:34 PM »
Also, this roasted veggie stock is fan-freaking-tastic. Makes great veggie gravy and also a fantastic add to fall soups. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Vegetable-Stock-231025

Fennel and radishes are two good roasters I always forget about.

Also, you can use all those fanastic roasted veggies in soup- I usually like them best as a pureed soup.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 05:07:19 PM »
Oh, and ratatouille- http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Ratatouille-350730

Gawd I love ratatouille.

We went camping last weekend for my birthday and my BFF brought a great big dutch oven full of it.  :heartbeat:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 07:07:06 AM »
I like roasted vegetables, but for some reason, I think it takes so long to prepare them that I rarely do...

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
I like roasted vegetables, but for some reason, I think it takes so long to prepare them that I rarely do...

If you cut them up small enough you can roast in 30 min or less. I roasted sweet potatoes recently and it took only 30 min to get soft...same thing with the squash I made (at the same time as the SP.) 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
My favorite roasted veggies are root veggies.

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »
Last night we had the first roasted brussel sprouts of the season. This is probably one of the only ways I like brussel sprouts. Toss 'em in olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »
I have a roasting question if it won't derail this thread, I am realizing that I love roasted veggies, but the last time I did cauliflower I couldn't get the moisture out of the nooks and crannies from washing it and it more steamed than roasted, any tips anyone?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
Last night we had the first roasted brussel sprouts of the season. This is probably one of the only ways I like brussel sprouts. Toss 'em in olive oil, salt, and pepper.

I made a pan on sunday with shallots and garlic and have been eating on them all week. Yum!

I have a roasting question if it won't derail this thread, I am realizing that I love roasted veggies, but the last time I did cauliflower I couldn't get the moisture out of the nooks and crannies from washing it and it more steamed than roasted, any tips anyone?

What temp are you using? I roast at 450 at a minimum. Also, what kind of pan are you using? I find that a sheet pan works a little better than something with sides.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 11:10:35 AM »
hmmm, temp could be the problem but I was roasting at 400, and the pan had sides, I will also try a flatter pan, thanks!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
Also, I like to roast the hell out of my cauliflower. It takes forever and shrinks up into nothing. You might also just need to wait a little longer. :)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Roasted vegetables!!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Yes!  450 on a jelly roll pan for at least 25 minutes. I love the cauliflower with a chopped onion (or two, yum), garlic cloves, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and olive oil.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 07:36:49 PM »
Also don't pile the cauliflower on top of each other. You need one layer. I always hear people on the food network say "we want a nice flat layer because we want to roast it, not steam it" or something like tht.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »
In our farm share box this week was a container of big plum tomatoes.  I just placed them in a casserole dish with a bunch of whole cloves of garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper and slow roasted it at 325 for 2 hours.  I'm now eating some with last night's leftover eggplant (also from the farm share) and a tofurkey Italian sausage.  Delicious. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US