Author Topic: Good vegetable recipes  (Read 60080 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Good vegetable recipes
« on: January 02, 2017, 06:00:48 PM »
In a effort to eat better I need to focus more on veggies. I would like some veggie focused main dish recipes.

The main problem is the list of stuff my husband won't eat is long and includes muhrooms, tomatoes, eggplant, cauliflowt, and all beans (excluding green beans). This is why this was easier when I was single.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Good vegetable recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »
We love this recipe but the whole blog is great. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/roasted-delicata-squash-salad-recipe.html

Molly Watson and Yotem Ottelenghi have some great recipes that are veg.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 06:42:33 PM »
Oh and I got a spiralizer for Christmas. What should I use it for?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »
So, my husband says he HATES cauliflower, but he actually enjoys it roasted.

Cut a head of cauliflower into small pieces, toss in olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. I like to add a very generous amount of minced garlic as well. Roast at 450, stirring every 10 minutes, until it's as roasty as you like it -- half an hour will do, but I like it around 45 minutes.

And if antag doesn't like this, you can just eat it all yourself. Which should be no problem, because it's freaking deelish.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 06:46:56 PM »

Cut a head of cauliflower into small pieces, toss in olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. I like to add a very generous amount of minced garlic as well. Roast at 450, stirring every 10 minutes, until it's as roasty as you like it -- half an hour will do, but I like it around 45 minutes.

And if antag doesn't like this, you can just eat it all yourself. Which should be no problem, because it's freaking deelish.
i am doing this.  also, same, MM.  I definitely need to eat more veggies in the winter.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »
i am doing this.  also, same, MM.  I definitely need to eat more veggies in the winter.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Oh, and I should add that I always think of CallipyG when I make cauliflower that way, because she turned me on to the technique.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »

I do that. He never eats it but I do!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
A Deborah Madison cookbook would be a wonderful thing for you.  Also, Alice Waters' "Chez Panisse Vegetables" would be great b/c she groups the recipes by vegetable type.

I use my spiralizer for zucchini but lots of people use theirs for other veg like sweet potatoes, butternut squash.  I love zucchini noodles with pasta sauce and parm (though I'm not eating the parm now) or just sauteed lightly with some light sauce.  There's a local restaurant that serves theirs raw with a dairy-free pesto and it's crazy delicious.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »
soup is a good way to get a lot of veggies in one meal... either vegetarian soups or soups that have a little meat (or a meat broth) but are mostly veg

same with curries

what vegetables will your husband eat?  maybe we can work from there?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
Roasting veggies a la bonita's suggestion are pretty much all good. I do asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, brussles sprouts, etc all that way. I don't always use garlic.

One thing I do is that I'll make something that is most of a meal for myself which is veggies and then a meat dish for everyone else. Could you just pile your plate higher with veggies and have a smaller portion of meat?

I know this wouldn't totally work for you but here is one example. I make a big batch of this salad. I eat it with tofu alongside it. Then I make pulled pork for the rest of the family and they make tacos with it and eat this as a side. https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/11/pickled-cabbage-salad/

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
soup is a good way to get a lot of veggies in one meal... either vegetarian soups or soups that have a little meat (or a meat broth) but are mostly veg

same with curries

what vegetables will your husband eat?  maybe we can work from there?

Its pretty limited. We eat green beans, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, lettuce, some carrots, and zucchini. Sometimes I get crazy and roast root veggies but he doesn't really like them. I just feel like I have exhausted the options with them. I mostly roast in the winter but I get tired of eating the same meals over and over again. I don't intend to go veggie because with my inability to eat soy or beans its not very realistic.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
Its pretty limited. We eat green beans, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, lettuce, some carrots, and zucchini. Sometimes I get crazy and roast root veggies but he doesn't really like them. I just feel like I have exhausted the options with them. I mostly roast in the winter but I get tired of eating the same meals over and over again. I don't intend to go veggie because with my inability to eat soy or beans its not very realistic.

I feel like no tomatoes is REALLY limiting.  Can he handle tomato sauce?  If so, this might be a good veg-based meal that feels like a meal: http://mondomulia.com/2014/10/14/shakshuka-recipe-ottolenghi/

Sticking with veg and eggs, we make succotash sometimes (which is probably not succotash at all), with a 6-minute boiled egg on top (creamy-runny).  Essentially we dice small: a wee bit of bacon or ham, onion, red or yellow bell pepper, something orange (squash, sweet potato, or carrot) or beets, zucchini or other summer squash if we have it... render the fat from the bacon and sautee it all up with corn kernels & smoked paprika and add a splash of cider vinegar at the end.  Top with the egg.

Small cubed root vegetables roasted with whole garlic cloves makes a good taco filling... with peanut salsa for protein.  Or add walnuts to the root veg for the last 8 minutes and use your usual salsa/sauce toppings.

Roasted green beans make a surprisingly good substitute for french fries...

I'll keep thinking.  Most of the veg-based meals we make involve a lot of the stuff on your NO list...

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 05:41:40 PM »
I feel like no tomatoes is REALLY limiting.  Can he handle tomato sauce?  If so, this might be a good veg-based meal that feels like a meal: http://mondomulia.com/2014/10/14/shakshuka-recipe-ottolenghi/

Sticking with veg and eggs, we make succotash sometimes (which is probably not succotash at all), with a 6-minute boiled egg on top (creamy-runny).  Essentially we dice small: a wee bit of bacon or ham, onion, red or yellow bell pepper, something orange (squash, sweet potato, or carrot) or beets, zucchini or other summer squash if we have it... render the fat from the bacon and sautee it all up with corn kernels & smoked paprika and add a splash of cider vinegar at the end.  Top with the egg.

Small cubed root vegetables roasted with whole garlic cloves makes a good taco filling... with peanut salsa for protein.  Or add walnuts to the root veg for the last 8 minutes and use your usual salsa/sauce toppings.

Roasted green beans make a surprisingly good substitute for french fries...

I'll keep thinking.  Most of the veg-based meals we make involve a lot of the stuff on your NO list...

I love tomatoes but am avoiding anything full of them because of my reflux. So I haven't had any tomato based sauces in a couple months and no tomato and roasted red pepper soup. :(

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »
I made roasted cauliflower today. A huge head. All for me, yum!

I also made my favorite spinach -- it's kind of creamed, you start with a roux and make a white sauce, then add the spinach and loads of garlic. It's how my grandmother always made it. Made a big batch of that.

I also sauteed some sliced mushrooms. And since I had the pan out, I caramelized some onions.

The kids don't like any of the above, so they got reheated broccoli with their dinner. :D

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 12:09:32 AM »
Kenyan is pretty picky with veggies too.  I have decided that IDGAF, I'll cook what I want veggie-wise and he can eat it or not.

I really like oven roasted fajitas: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/02/oven-fajitas/ It's mostly peppers and onions. I think that it's better is you put the chicken in partway through the cooking time instead of cooking it with the veggies. I will often eat this on a bed of lettuce while kenyan fills tortillas.

Another favorite is roasted shrimp and broccoli. I know you can't do shrimp, but you could either do bite sized pieces of chicken or else cook some salmon at the same time. http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2009/02/roasted_shrimp.html I use powdered spices instead of the whole they recommend, and usually make some rice or pasta with this. I eat most of the broccoli, kenyan eats mostly shrimp and rice.

I picked these two recipes because like you, I get super bored eating the same thing over and over. Especially when kenyan won't really help me eat lots of stuff. But switching up the seasonings is super helpful for breaking up the monotony. These fajitas are seasoned with the typical taco seasonings (which you could go easy on the chili powder if it affects your GERD too much) while the shrimp and broccoli is a mix of cumin, coriander, and lemon.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
If DH does not eat it, I still make it for myself.  Veggies are good for you.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »
Also, grownass people should eat vegetables!!!

Offline redkitty

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 03:49:39 PM »
Also, grownass people should eat vegetables!!!

Tell this to my DH. he is also very picky so it makes making meatless meals hard (he also does not like pasta that much...he would be a starving vegetarian.)

One of the things i have started is that I tell Dh what I plan on cooking if it involves a lot of veggies and tell him that he can make his own food that day if he wants. I also tell him that when he starts planning and cooking the meals, he can make what he wants. mind you, I do not employ this often, but it does happen. Lentils, rice and beans is something he will never eat, but I have made it when he is around. I believe he had cereal and toast that night for dinner.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
Tell this to my DH. he is also very picky so it makes making meatless meals hard (he also does not like pasta that much...he would be a starving vegetarian.)

One of the things i have started is that I tell Dh what I plan on cooking if it involves a lot of veggies and tell him that he can make his own food that day if he wants. I also tell him that when he starts planning and cooking the meals, he can make what he wants. mind you, I do not employ this often, but it does happen. Lentils, rice and beans is something he will never eat, but I have made it when he is around. I believe he had cereal and toast that night for dinner.

Good for you. I don't think it's fair to limit your own diet just because somebody else in the house is a mega picky eater. ESPECIALLY if you are doing all the work!!!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »
Good for you. I don't think it's fair to limit your own diet just because somebody else in the house is a mega picky eater. ESPECIALLY if you are doing all the work!!!
DH can eat what I make or fend for himself.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

+-SUPPORT US