Author Topic: Breakfast: really the most important meal of the day? Or important at all?  (Read 10552 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
We've been told over and over that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, that we'll never be healthy without it, that we'll ruin our metabolisms if we skip it. Truth? Propaganda from the cereal industry? Somewhere in between?

I personally don't enjoy eating breakfast. Brunch is fine -- on the weekends I enjoy late morning omelettes, bagels, BACON, etc.

But on the weekday, I skip breakfast. I'm just not hungry before work, not even if I run in the morning.

Am I doing it wrong?

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
Re: Breakfast: really the most important meal of the day? Or important at all?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:15:10 PM »
Nope. Not wrong I think. As long as it doesn't have a negative effect on the rest of your day eg getting too hungry before lunch and eating crap. Or overeating at other times.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:22:21 PM »
As long as it does not lead to unhealthy eating habits later in the day, you are probably ok. I have hypoglycemia and if i do not eat something within an hour or two of waking I get really nauseated and feel like i am going to throw up. I have to do fasting bloodwork again soon and am DREADING it. I also eat dinner around 5-5:30, so it is a long time without food come morning ;)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:58:56 PM »
Probably has to do w/ personal preference. My mom isn't that into breakfast. But I generally wake up starving and  LOVE it. I usually have 2 -- a small one before a workout & then a bigger one after. I cannot manage without breakfast. Especially after morning exercise.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »
I do drink coffee -- often 2-3 cups in the morning. It probably serves as somewhat of an appetite suppressant.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »
I can't eat for a while after waking up. I don't have an appetite early in the day, but get similar low blood sugar issues as meri if I don't eat.  For a while I would have kefir a couple of hours after rising, then when life and work got crazy for a while it was nothing until I got to the office, then a coffeeshop pastry or a series of unhealthy snacks (typical startup snack closet fare) until lunch at 1:30 or 2:00.

I finally found something that I am into eating in the morning. Chia seed pudding with fruit. I put it together at home and eat it at my desk around 9:00. I'm literally excited when I think about getting to eat it.

siamesedream

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 11:34:53 PM »
We've been told over and over that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, that we'll never be healthy without it, that we'll ruin our metabolisms if we skip it. Truth? Propaganda from the cereal industry? Somewhere in between?

I personally don't enjoy eating breakfast. Brunch is fine -- on the weekends I enjoy late morning omelettes, bagels, BACON, etc.

But on the weekday, I skip breakfast. I'm just not hungry before work, not even if I run in the morning.

Am I doing it wrong?

If skipping breakfast is wrong, I don't wanna be right. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 07:34:01 AM »
I follow my sense of hunger: I want a light breakfast when I wake up.  Oatmeal and tea.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 08:29:10 AM »
Probably has to do w/ personal preference. My mom isn't that into breakfast. But I generally wake up starving and  LOVE it. I usually have 2 -- a small one before a workout & then a bigger one after. I cannot manage without breakfast. Especially after morning exercise.

me too

also, I am always hungry by lunch time but could easily skip dinner most days... when I do field work and am not confined by social expectations or other people's needs, I eat pretty steady from waking up until about 1 pm (constant snacking) and then may not eat at all the rest of the day

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
The more I read about it, the more I think that breakfast being the most important meal of the day = cereal propaganda!  >:(

I mean, eat it if you enjoy it, but I'm through feeling guilty over Ruining My Metabolism.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 11:27:13 AM »
I wake up hungry. If I have a banana I will eat it and I eat at my desk at work, which usually keeps me until 12ish. I had a piece of blueberry lemon cake this morning with tea when I got up and then a banana with pb at my desk. And some trail mix. I'm ready for lunch.

On the weekends I have something when I get up pre-workout and then eggs in some form after with coffee.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 12:43:48 PM »
I don't think it ruins metabolism to skip breakfast.

If I don't stay ahead of hunger I make poor choices about what to eat. Eating small meals frequently makes a big difference. It does sometimes mean eating when I'm not hungry yet.

Online fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »

The more I read about it, the more I think that breakfast being the most important meal of the day = cereal propaganda!  >:(

I mean, eat it if you enjoy it, but I'm through feeling guilty over Ruining My Metabolism.
Well then I'm over it too!  I'm not hungry in the morning, and if I make myself eat breakfast I feel yucky. I do, however, enjoy an early lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
My breakfast is usually leftover dinner. 

siamesedream

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »
Coffee.

I don't eat cereal or milk anymore, sometimes I'll have a piece of toast, but I always feel like i'm forcing it. Genuine hunger does not appear before 2 pm.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
I am usually starving when I get up in the mornings. So I eat. That being said, I  have never been a big fan of breakfast food, but eating non-breakfast food often feels too heavy for me. Not sure why. So i eat, but don't love breakfast.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
It is not important at all.  I love breakfast food though.   
Because PANTS

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »
I've probably programmed myself into feeling like I need to eat something.  I used to eat cereal, now I eat an aussie bite and an energy bar thing we get from Costco. 

If I'm really busy and especially active, I can get a little queasy and light headed if I haven't eaten something.

i think I've also come to use breakfast as the meal that keeps me regular.   :)
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 08:22:45 AM »
What's an aussie bite?

+-SUPPORT US