Author Topic: Cincinnati chili recipe  (Read 9716 times)

Offline Knoxious

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Cincinnati chili recipe
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »
Dan keeps bringing this up and my stomach starts grumbling every time.  I've tried a couple of recipes but I wasn't happy with the results.  And I don't like the frozen Skyline from the grocery store either.  Does anyone have a recipe that they really like?

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
Re: Cincinnati chili recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 06:56:11 PM »
Oh!  I do!!!  Actually, my MIL does. I'll cal and ask her for it just like I do every time I make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 08:26:20 PM »
fp,
And why have you not posted the recipe yet?!?!?
On, Wisconsin

Offline Knoxious

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:06 AM »

siamesedream

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »
 :snowball:

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
I learned from an episode of Chopped that Cincinnati chili has spaghetti in it.  Which makes me think it might be similar to Windsor-Detroit chili which has elbow macaroni in it.

In which case, I can tell you how my grandmother made chili.  Saute an onion in fat from the can of fat. Add ground beef thawed or frozen, whichever, and brown it.  Add a chopped green bell pepper and stir around a bit.  Pour in enough canned tomato to make you happy.  Mush it up with a potato masher if the tomato pieces are too big.  Add two cans of kidney beans, liquid and all.  Add a can of Heinz baked beans in tomato sauce.  Bring to a boil, add enough elbow macaroni to soak up the liquid.  When the macaroni is cooked, it's ready to serve.  Put a container of chili powder on the table so everyone can spice it to their own liking.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
On my way through Ohio a few years ago I decided I had to stop and try it. Whatever the big chain is out there. I did not like the chili particularly at all. Forget about that it's just wrong to eat it with spaghetti.
Which I did not do.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Knoxious

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:00:50 PM »
I learned from an episode of Chopped that Cincinnati chili has spaghetti in it.  Which makes me think it might be similar to Windsor-Detroit chili which has elbow macaroni in it.

In which case, I can tell you how my grandmother made chili.  Saute an onion in fat from the can of fat. Add ground beef thawed or frozen, whichever, and brown it.  Add a chopped green bell pepper and stir around a bit.  Pour in enough canned tomato to make you happy.  Mush it up with a potato masher if the tomato pieces are too big.  Add two cans of kidney beans, liquid and all.  Add a can of Heinz baked beans in tomato sauce.  Bring to a boil, add enough elbow macaroni to soak up the liquid.  When the macaroni is cooked, it's ready to serve.  Put a container of chili powder on the table so everyone can spice it to their own liking.

What I'm looking for is different from that (or how I imagine that).  Yes, it has spaghetti in it, but there's an interesting blend of seasonings that make it unique.  Vinegar, garlic, chocolate, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, etc. 

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:42:20 PM »
What I'm looking for is different from that (or how I imagine that).  Yes, it has spaghetti in it, but there's an interesting blend of seasonings that make it unique.  Vinegar, garlic, chocolate, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, etc. 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/cincinnati-chili-recipe2.html
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Knoxious

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 05:05:35 PM »
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/cincinnati-chili-recipe2.html

yeah, I think that's the one that I pulled the aforementioned ingredients from.  I've been holding out for a CH recipe, but since fancypants ain't go time for us, I guess I'll give that one a shot.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:13:35 PM »

With the cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, and chocolate, it's a bit closer to a mole sauce than it is a Chili, but, it's a relative to Chili just like mole. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 10:50:04 PM »
I have no idea what it is but I googled and there's a recipe on the topsecretrecipes.com website. But you have to pay for it. He does say in the description that there's no chocolate or Coca Cola in it, and you can tell that from the ingredients list on the cans.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 01:08:47 PM »
Arrrgggg!!!  I can't find it!  I guess I have to call my MIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline Knoxious

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 04:00:58 PM »
Too late, fp.  I already starved to death.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »
:roll:

Surely SOMEONE in the CH has made it hir life work to proclaim the joys of Cincinnati Chili! How could we solve this mystery?

Offline ihop

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 08:50:29 AM »

Surely SOMEONE in the CH has made it hir life work to proclaim the joys of Cincinnati Chili! How could we solve this mystery?

La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 09:06:52 PM »
Here you go. We've enjoyed this recipe since 2004 -- there's a date on the print out -- and we love it. DH lived in Ohio for high school and college. He says this tastes just like the real thing.
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/chili/skyline-chili.html

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »
Tenacious for the win!!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 08:21:22 AM »
Here you go. We've enjoyed this recipe since 2004 -- there's a date on the print out -- and we love it. DH lived in Ohio for high school and college. He says this tastes just like the real thing.
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/chili/skyline-chili.html

I viscerally disturbed by the idea of boiling the ground beef.  I mean, I kind of know that in any sauce the beef is technically boiled/simmered, but usually it's browned first...

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
I viscerally disturbed by the idea of boiling the ground beef.  I mean, I kind of know that in any sauce the beef is technically boiled/simmered, but usually it's browned first...

I know! I read that part a few times to make sure I was following properly.  :nono:

+-SUPPORT US