Author Topic: Trail running noob  (Read 5938 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Trail running noob
« on: January 09, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »
I’m starting from scratch on running... and I mean scratch. I’m planning to do a C25K program... and I’m thinking of doing trail running for as much of it as possible, weather permitting.

I am typically a street runner, if not there then on the indoor track... I have no real trail running experience, but I’ve hiked plenty and am comfortable on trails.

Any advice for me? My main questions are about footwear. I have Brooks Ghost 10 running shoes.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Trail running noob
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 07:35:37 PM »
All I know about Brooks trail shoes is that the PureGrit7 was good, ran two trail marathons in them, but the PureGrit8 sucked horribly. So slick, only good in dry weather.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 07:58:06 PM »
Since the Ghost are well cushioned, neutral road shoes are you asking if you should wear them anyway or for trail she recos?

Bonita you can get away with road shoes on super easy, not technical trails that are dry.  Once you change one of those factors you'll be happier in trail shoes.  Some shoes like Salomon Sense Ride 2 are for both (disclosure: I wear and love these).  For neutral, well padded shoes the Brooks Cascadia would be equivalent, PureGrit would be lower profile.  I wear neutral Brooks (Ghost for plush, Launch most of the time, Ricochet for track) and wore Cascadia for years but after my last bad foot/ankle sprain I had to switch to something wider and lower to the ground to stop from rolling.  Now I wear the Salomons (love) and I have a pair of Topos trail shoes that have a lower drop. 

I'd always go to a local running store to get fitted with a new type of shoe (esp if they have a generous exchange policy to figure it out) but Running Warehouse is good with their exchange policy, too. 

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »
It's so much better, that's all you need to know!

Don't be alarmed when you're slow AF relative to your road speed.

Be prepared to eat dirt a few times.

Carry traction in the winter and spring.  There's nothing worse than dying for a good trail run on a gorgeous spring day only to realize the trail is still ankle deep in snow and ice!

Walk the hills, it's like a rule or something (kidding, but someone told me that once and I pretend it's true when I'm tired)

It's way better

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 08:28:42 PM »
I pretend it's true too.  But meri does it so it must be ok.  :d . I figure when I could walk as fast as I can run a hill, I should just walk it.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 08:34:07 PM »
I pretend it's true too.  But meri does it so it must be ok.  :d . I figure when I could walk as fast as I can run a hill, I should just walk it.
Ha, I think that is actually the rule, until some crazy person blows past you running up the cliff and then you just feel like a loser :D

Offline CheryG

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 08:57:48 PM »
Bring snacks.

For the bears. ;)

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 09:27:25 PM »
I like trail running for two main reasons.  The terrain slows you down and that keeps you from getting too far ahead of your capabilities.
The constantly varying angles keep you from falling into the repetitive rhythms that so often result in injuries.  The only things I pay attention to with trail shoes are the soles.  You need traction to keep you from breaking your neck and some insulation from the pointy stuff underfoot that is trying to turn the bottoms of your feet into hamburger. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »
This is all great feedback. Thank you!

Rio do you have recommendations for “traction”? I assume you mean something to slip over my shoes.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 09:51:42 PM »
And I think I’ll look for trail shoes. I probably won’t do anything particularly technical to start... but I know I’ll want to eventually.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 02:58:48 AM »
This is all great feedback. Thank you!

Rio do you have recommendations for “traction”? I assume you mean something to slip over my shoes.
I just bought these hardcore slip on things from Amazon.  I think I could scale an icewall in them.  A bit overkill but I'm paranoid about ice, especially 5 or 10k into the woods, alone

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »
What kinds of trails? Are these like rolling horse paths or fire roads? Or single track trails with roots, rocks, and divots? For the smoother trails a road shoe is fine. On the more technical terrain a trail shoe is nice because you will have better grip and feel on the trail. I have had Inov8 and LaSportiva shoes. I do trail running 2-5 times a week throughout much of the year.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 07:59:35 AM »
What kinds of trails? Are these like rolling horse paths or fire roads? Or single track trails with roots, rocks, and divots? For the smoother trails a road shoe is fine. On the more technical terrain a trail shoe is nice because you will have better grip and feel on the trail. I have had Inov8 and LaSportiva shoes. I do trail running 2-5 times a week throughout much of the year.
Great question! I think, eventually... all of the above? But to get started there’s a three mile loop in the state forest here that I walk a lot... it’s wide enough for horses (and once I saw a pickup come through for an emergency), the terrain is mostly rolling with one big hill. I walk it fine in running shoes or in boots. But it’s a little busy sometimes and I’d like to eventually branch out into less traveled trails, so that would be more of the rooty rocky single trail type of terrain.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 08:00:57 AM »
IME it really depends on the road shoe and your feet.   I wore Saucony Hurricanes everywhere for while- from road to trails to hiking in the Whites. They were great for me at that time.

Right now I'm in La Sportiva Akasha, a pair that I probably should have retired 100 miles ago but I keep grabbing them for some reason.  They have vibram soles have better grip on rocks than most.

I'm also in Altra Lone Peaks, liking them so far, good traction in the snow. I only have 40 miles or so on them, as I've slowly been rotating them in. I both like the huge toe box and predict I'll hate it once I return to technical trail running in the spring. We'll see.

I think you'll love trail running and it surprises me that you haven't done it before. :)  IMO what really slows doen new trail runners is that you'll have to pay more attention to where you're putting your feet.  After a while it will become second nature and will require less mental focus and you'll speed up.  No tips or tricks for that, just time to build confidence.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 08:01:59 AM »
Great question! I think, eventually... all of the above? But to get started there’s a three mile loop in the state forest here that I walk a lot... it’s wide enough for horses (and once I saw a pickup come through for an emergency), the terrain is mostly rolling with one big hill. I walk it fine in running shoes or in boots. But it’s a little busy sometimes and I’d like to eventually branch out into less traveled trails, so that would be more of the rooty rocky single trail type of terrain.

I'm picturing the terrain like what's at Stone Cat? Willowdale Stste Forest?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:04:17 AM by CheryG »

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 08:14:07 AM »
Oh, good point.  I was assuming single track since that's all I have near me.  The city has different trails.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 08:16:05 AM »
Also, when I ran the bad thing, I ran with a woman who was wearing road shoes.  And she had done the race before.  I was surprised because it was about as technical as it gets around here, but she managed.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 08:27:12 AM »

I think you'll love trail running and it surprises me that you haven't done it before. :)  IMO what really slows doen new trail runners is that you'll have to pay more attention to where you're putting your feet.  After a while it will become second nature and will require less mental focus and you'll speed up.  No tips or tricks for that, just time to build confidence.

I know!! I love walking/hiking so much. The woods are 100% my happy place.

I am rather clumsy and already a slow runner, so I won’t be hitting any PRs... and I’m a little nervous about wiping out somewhere in the wilderness. But I think you are right, I just need to build confidence.

I probably won’t do anything particularly gnarly for a while... like I said in the OP, I’m starting from scratch. My fitness level is pretty low right now. But I’m okay with slow and steady for a while until I have some stamina.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 08:29:17 AM »
I'm picturing the terrain like what's at Stone Cat? Willowdale Stste Forest?
I don’t know either of those...

One of the things I’m excited about is exploring new territory. My “walk out the door” running routes are sooooo boring.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 08:38:42 AM »
Some of it does boil down to stride and balance, IMO. Whenever I hike with the rock climber DH he's like a freakin' gecko no matter what's on his feet.  I hate him as I slip amd slide around with the most technical soles I can find.  His body just knows how to balance better than mine does.

+-SUPPORT US