Author Topic: So can we discuss running "fashion" here?  (Read 21974 times)

Belgian Lace

Re: So can we discuss running "fashion" here?
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
I race in black.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »
http://fittish.deadspin.com/lululemon-triumphs-in-creating-ugliest-running-outfit-e-1599163696

The Runsie by lululemon

Quote from: lululemon.com
why we made this
We made this easy onesie to keep us cool and collected when we're pounding the pavement. Lightweight and breathable, it layers easily over our favourite bra so that we can stay comfortable wherever our summer run takes us.

wow
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2014, 09:57:38 AM »
I saw a post on Twitter where someone was wearing a solid black one. I know I'm down with a 1-piece trisuit (and never thought I would be), but I really cannot see how that would be sooooo comfy. Blergh.
This space for rent.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
I saw a post on Twitter where someone was wearing a solid black one. I know I'm down with a 1-piece trisuit (and never thought I would be), but I really cannot see how that would be sooooo comfy. Blergh.

Oh yeah, there's this part

... this running outfit offers zero support in the form of a sports bra—no, those are sold separately.

It's official ... lululemon have lost their collective minds. Isn't the idea - when you're about to be bought - to add some value to the brand, to move the price up somewhat, so you can make yourself some cash on the way out?

Maybe I'm wrong?

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 10:12:30 AM »
Oh, the no sports bra part is actually fine with me. Built-in sports bras are crap for support if you need much beyond the minimum, IMO. I'd rather pick my own bra under whatever else I wear, by far.

But the romper thing is ridiculous. I kind of think Lululemon should stick with yoga-wear, and not try to get into the running business. They already have enough problems!
This space for rent.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
I HATE built in sports bras and refuse to buy anything with them. 

Some people like rompers but they are not my thing.  I do not think that is particularly ugly I just question how practical it is.  And I am seeing running dresses sold at different places which is pretty much the same idea.  I am just not a fan of one piece clothing but there must be a market for them. 
Because PANTS

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 01:12:21 PM »
I HATE built in sports bras and refuse to buy anything with them. 

[/quote

I like the tanktops with built-in bras for running.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
I like to run in running skirts. I have thick thighs so I need ample thigh coverage, but don't want to wear compression shorts/tight shorts without covering my also ample rear.  So I wear running skirts that have long shorts underneath.  I have bought mine at both Running Skirts.com (athletic style if you want the longer short lengths) and Skirt Sports.com (a lot of their skirts have longer shorts, some don't, you just have to read the description.)  My running gear also doubles as my tennis gear since tennis skirts are impossible to find with long enough legs for me.  I do tend to buy things on sale...so usually around $40 a skirt.  I have been having issues with the Running Skirts brand not fitting quite right.  Can't exactly pinpoint it...it is as though the waist doesn't fit right since I had a kid, but it isn't too tight or anything, but sits ina  weird place and sometimes causes the skirt to "fall down." (not the pt where you can see anything, but enough where I have to pull it up.) 

Most of my shirts are the cheap C9 moisture wicking "cotton" shirts from Target (they look like they are cotton...so no sheen to them...but they are moisture wicking.) 

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »
I race in old school short shorts.  If I am just running, I wear the first thing I pull out of the drawer.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »
Right some people like built in bras and some people hate them but it is not crazy for lululemon to make a running product with no built in bra.  Of their crimes that is not one  :D
Because PANTS

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2014, 03:04:10 PM »
I race in old school short shorts.  If I am just running, I wear the first thing I pull out of the drawer.

How old & how short? Are we talking Larry Bird vintage, here?

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »

I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »

Men's athletic wear did not change as drastically as women's, over the years. 

I had some shorts from 15 years ago that I would not dare to wear anymore. Also, the loose running pants from that time are very hard to find now.  But I am still running in those.  Love them.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »

That's different

ooh, we have a few of those in a drawer her.  All I need is scissors.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 05:24:22 PM »
chances are pretty good i will destroy whatever i'm wearing while scrambling over something (and/or falling on my ass).  no costumes for me.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord

Offline oblio

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »
In fact I own and wear the Lululemon ruffled skirt.  I am not afraid to be be perceived as too 'girly' either.  I don't see femininity as a negative quality to be avoided, or something the opposite of 'athletic'..... I think it is possible to be both at once.   I don't think that only by wearing track shorts similar to what the guys wear is the only way to be 'athletic'.  I have no contempt for females being female.
I wear sunscreen and lipstick also.   :-*

I love this :).

I wear makeup to races/exercising. Not every time, but often enough. I'm very self conscious and why not go out feeling better about myself...especially when there is picture taking involved? It's not hurting anyone, why do I need to look like a makeup free athlete to avoid being judged? And you're probably right, I'm not an athlete, I will be one of the slowest people to finish the race and that's lame, but it's not because I put makeup on before the race.  When you pass me, I'll cheer for you! There are plenty of good reasons to judge people, you don't need to scrape the barrel to find them  :D

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
I just bought a running skirt today.

I've always been an underdresser because I didn't want to look like I cared (defense mechanism), but lately I've been running with an older woman who dresses really  cute for her runs, and she's also fast. So I've been upping my game both running wise and fashion wise trying to keep up with her, and it's been fun.

One thing I've noticed--running is her life. The clothing is just an expression of that.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »
I like the running skirts because they are a bit warmer than the shorts.  However, some of them, with ruffles, look like they belong on a 20-year old body; not on mine.
I saw some cute ones at 6pm.

+-SUPPORT US