Author Topic: Bumper sticker 0.0  (Read 70661 times)

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
Re: Bumper sticker 0.0
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »
Well, this is a new one

Explanation follows, copied directly

it is our portion of the Appalachian trail. We r in East TN. We figures it out yesterday.

Wow ... and wow ... "We r in East TN. We figures it out"

I'm sure you do
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:20:09 AM by Uncle Fred »
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2014, 10:26:43 PM »
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5248488

Walking into a running store, I see two people I'm assuming were runners (26.2 t-shirts) making fun of a car that has a 5k and 10k sticker on their car. Basically mocking how insignificant those distances were. We've seen people on this forum make similar comments.

In this case, I know who's car it belonged too. A friend of mine who served three tours in Iraq and was wounded on in all three tours, the final one being a loss of a leg. When he returned home, he suffered from PTSD that resulted in him losing his marriage and visitation with his kids. He then tried to commit suicide. Today (24 months later) he has his life in order and is a very active runner, including finishing two marathons. That 5k sticker was from me challenging him to get off his ass and do something. The 10k sticker was his own challenge. He has no 26.2 stickers because he considers running a lifestyle now instead of a battle for life. Thus the reason the 5k and 10k stay on his car.

I made a similar statement to the two runners walking into the store and even offered to introduce them to my friend, whom I was meeting there. They refused and bolted in the opposite direction of the store when we walked in.

For most of us, including my friend, a 5k is our warm-up. However, that doesn't make us any better than those rising off the couch and going after a goal, even if that goal is so much smaller than ours. Think before you speak.

OK, lesson learned

For the most part though, 26.2 stickers are for Chumps
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2014, 12:17:47 AM »

OK, lesson learned

Not to mention that it's pretty rookie ball to look down on 5 and 10ks....properly run, they hurt WAY more than a moderate marathon...I try not to look down on anyone, but a 5+ hour marathoner sneering at what could be a sub 15 5ker is laughable...and yes, I do assume that it is a 5+ hour marathoner...because a sub 3 wouldn't be that stupid...

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2014, 08:22:28 AM »
Not to mention that it's pretty rookie ball to look down on 5 and 10ks....properly run, they hurt WAY more than a moderate marathon...I try not to look down on anyone, but a 5+ hour marathoner sneering at what could be a sub 15 5ker is laughable...and yes, I do assume that it is a 5+ hour marathoner...because a sub 3 wouldn't be that stupid...

No kidding!  5Ks are HARD!  Lauren Fleshman (pro runner, 5K champ) wrote a story for Runner's World a few months ago about how some guy on a plane asked her if she ran, told her he was a marathoner.  She told him she raced mostly 5Ks, and he told her to "stick with it, you'll get there someday."   Hah!
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »
No kidding!  5Ks are HARD!  Lauren Fleshman (pro runner, 5K champ) wrote a story for Runner's World a few months ago about how some guy on a plane asked her if she ran, told her he was a marathoner.  She told him she raced mostly 5Ks, and he told her to "stick with it, you'll get there someday."   Hah!

I was just thinking that same thing about that article - I loved it! It is silly how the thinking has gotten to the point where you're not doing anything "hard" unless you're doing a marathon. If you are racing a 5K, it's hard as shit the whole time.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:36:55 AM by cgraz »
This space for rent.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2014, 08:57:54 AM »
I was just thinking that same thing about that article - I loved it! It is silly how the thinking has gotten to the point where you're not doing anything "hard" unless you're doing a marathon. If you are racing a 5K, it's hard as shit the whole time.

Yep.  I think it's also partially a result of so many "regular" people now running and running marathons.  Most runners now know nothing about the actual sport of running -- track & field, cross country, etc.  They don't know the names of pro runners or what they actually do.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »

http://www.runnersworld.com/5k-training-plans/10-reasons-the-5k-is-freaking-awesome

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2014, 09:22:48 AM »
If you are racing a 5K, it's hard as shit the whole time.

PLUS, they're easy to find and relatively cheap

Belgian Lace

« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
I run marathons because I suck at 5K.

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
You can breathe and think in a marathon...5ks are short enough that you have no excuse not to be in the borderline red zone the whole time...

I dread intervals WAY more than long runs for the same reason...

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
I run marathons because I suck at 5K.

Th1s.

I'd even say I probably have more potential as an ironman than a marathoner, for similar reasons...

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »
I'd even say I probably have more potential as an ironman than a marathoner, for similar reasons...

There's a 17-hour cutoff, y'know?

I forget which multiple IMH Winner said this, but I kinda quote "There are far better ways to waste a Saturday"

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
There's a 17-hour cutoff, y'know?

I forget which multiple IMH Winner said this, but I kinda quote "There are far better ways to waste a Saturday"

Thankfully, most races are on Sundays.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »
This space for rent.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2014, 06:34:41 AM »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »
Mine go on for days  :panic:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2014, 09:04:20 PM »
Saturday is much more common out here.  I think there are 2 races in all of Utah that happen on Sunday.

Offline GreenMan

• The Runners
  • Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »
In the Dallas area you could race on Saturday *and* Sunday most weekends, and if you really wanted to you could sometimes race twice in a day (two 5Ks near each other starting an hour apart, or a 5K/10K run in sequence).
Habits eat good intentions for breakfast.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2014, 05:21:59 AM »
In the Dallas area you could race on Saturday *and* Sunday most weekends, and if you really wanted to you could sometimes race twice in a day (two 5Ks near each other starting an hour apart, or a 5K/10K run in sequence).

Around here that's the case during the fall, especially with 5Ks. Weekends you are tripping over 5Ks all over the place. Could have done two 5Ks within a few miles of each other last weekend, on Sunday...one was 9 am and one at 11 am. Other distances are much harder to come by though.
This space for rent.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »
Bringing it back on course ... I saw this one a couple weeks ago [I was riding and couldn't get my phone out]

Took me a second, but I got it

+-SUPPORT US