Author Topic: Have we talked about CrossFit?  (Read 52825 times)

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
Re: Have we talked about CrossFit?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »
Not necessarily Crossfit, but certainly a bad decision was made here

Dead lift in high heels-FAIL
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
now that's just ridiculous.  and no gym owner would want heels on their nice mat.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »
now that's just ridiculous.  and no gym owner would want heels on their nice mat.

Yeah, I kind of don't get why Fred seems determined to associate crossfit with unhealthy consequences.  Seems forced and, in my experience, inaccurate.  The crossfitters I know are some pretty awesome physical specimens. 

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 10:40:49 PM »
The crossfitters I know are some pretty awesome physical specimens. 

Good for you & good for them

However, they appear to be far outnumbered by the knuckleheads; on YouTube, anyway

In the Spirit of Full Disclosure: I get some of these from an ex of mine who owns a Crossfit joint; she is equally entertained and mortified
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »
She posted this link

http://nextlevelcf.com/2014/02/19/2-trends-that-will-kill-crossfit/

As an owner, I'm sure that she sees ...

Killer Trend #1
CrossFit as a commodity

Killer Trend #2
Uneducated Coaches with little to no experience

...as Canaries in the Crossfit Coalmine

The Police - Dancing to "Canary In A Coalmine" (A Fanvid)

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »
Are we reading the same article? 

CrossFit has done more to change the landscape of the health and fitness field than any other athletic movement. If you deny that, you either don’t understand what it is, or your emotions are fueling your opinion. Whether you agree with what is done in CrossFit culture or not, the fact remains that in less than 10 years it has changed how the world views fitness, as well as expanded awareness in many other sports. And whatever the future holds, it will be more impressive because of CrossFit.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 10:26:21 PM »
That's all over my FB feed from CrossFitters today, too.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
That's all over my FB feed from CrossFitters today, too.

Are you listening to the WLC telecon?  It's pretty interesting. 

http://wholelifechallenge.us5.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=63a2faa3d899b52e3104eef0d&id=e7082c82af&e=f572fbf5af

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:28 AM »
I didn't, but if you think it's worthwhile I might give it a listen later.

Are you doing the WLC as well, radial?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 07:56:21 AM »
I didn't, but if you think it's worthwhile I might give it a listen later.

Are you doing the WLC as well, radial?

No, I do something very similar though.  I think the WLC guys have got a great attitude and I like their program, so I keep track.  The audio thing last night was okay, but conference calls tend to put me to sleep so I didn't last long.   :sleep:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
Are we reading the same article? 

Has it? How? Other than crossfit gyms, the rest seems to be the same. Cfit didn't invent HIIT or Tabata, etc. Meh. I'm skeptical.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2014, 10:22:10 PM »
I was too, RA.  And I felt the same.

There is something about the thoughtful progression of programming to get to PRs in olympic lifting on the strength/skill side AND laying it all out on the table during the Metcon that is more effective for what I want to do now than anything I've done before.

I wanted to get my arm muscles back after my surgery.  I bench pressed 85 pounds the other day, then did many reps of 65 pound power cleans during the metcon.  And I can deadlift my own body weight (had to lose 5 pounds to do that. lol!) 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »
I think that's awesome. And, I know lots of people who love crossfit and have had great results. I'm not knocking it (my only annoyance is the evangelism of a certain sub-segment that insists running makes you fat  ;;} and if you don't crossfit you aren't fit). I'm just saying that I don't agree with the statement radial quoted above:
CrossFit has done more to change the landscape of the health and fitness field than any other athletic movement. If you deny that, you either don’t understand what it is, or your emotions are fueling your opinion. Whether you agree with what is done in CrossFit culture or not, the fact remains that in less than 10 years it has changed how the world views fitness, as well as expanded awareness in many other sports. And whatever the future holds, it will be more impressive because of CrossFit.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »
Yeah, I hear you. It's a bit much. And I kind of want to egg the couple of 0.0 cars in the parking lot even though they belong to friends. :)

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2014, 08:44:03 PM »
I'm not knocking it (my only annoyance is the evangelism of a certain sub-segment that insists running makes you fat  ;;} and if you don't crossfit you aren't fit).

:shrug:, there is a lunatic fringe surrounding every popular discipline.  Doesn't mean that crossfit is a total sham.  Just that it's popular now, and therefore attracts its fair share of kool-aid slurping acolytes. 

You should give it a try.  With all the running, you might be fit enough now to get through an entire crossfit workout without puking. 

KIDDING!  :skeered:  Except for the part about giving it a try :)

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
Except for the part about giving it a try :)

It's funny that I keep telling my friend that I'll stop by her joint sometime [yes, I refuse to say "box" for reasons of decorum] to check it out; but she always says "Rand, you're a runner, a cyclist, a MTBer, a surfer, a skateboarder ... you do actual sports. You're gonna think this is all silly. But I'd love to have you stop by. Besides, you probably have some latent 'Old-Man Strength' that you haven't tapped into yet"

She is a cyclist, a skier, a snowboarder, and a rock climber herself ... also used to do a little in-line skate racing

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2014, 01:05:09 AM »
I don't think it's a sham. I just don't think it's redefined fitness. That's all. :) I might give it a whirl some day. But it doesn't interest me right now.

Offline GreenMan

• The Runners
  • Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »

:sofahider:
Habits eat good intentions for breakfast.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2014, 11:13:35 PM »
 :rotfl:
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »
 :roll:

+-SUPPORT US