Author Topic: Do you emotionally eat?  (Read 13454 times)

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
Do you emotionally eat?
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
I've started thinking about what and why I'm eating what I'm eating since I started dating a dietitian.

I ate the same large breakfast out of habit before. Two eggs on a bagel, spinach salad, juice, banana, coffee. I have since realized I'm not that hungry in the mornings and now just eat a spinach salad and a glass of milk.

I have also stopped snacking after dinner, which I did more out of boredom than hunger before, and it always made me feel like shit physically. Now that I've stopped that too- I feel awesome and way more energetic.

Which is odd because I thought I was eating really well before.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Do you emotionally eat?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »
I don't think what you're describing is emotional eating. Mindfulness, perhaps, but emotional? No.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »
Personally, I over-eat because I like food and the "you don't taste it after a bite or two anyway" thing doesn't work for me. I guess it's more of a hobby. Plus, I also really like beer & wine, and sweets. A terrible combination!

I do not think I'm an emotional eater, no. I'm not really a boredome eater either.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
I am an everything eater  :D
Because PANTS

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »
That's not emotional eating.

Emotional eating is getting into a huge argument with your husband and then afterwards deciding that dozen yogurt will make you both feel better.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
Not much of an emotional eater perse. More of a boredom eater.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »
I agree with everything RA said.

I don't know how you eat salad for breakfast.  I did for a bit in high school because I had play practice and missed dinner every night (ate a sandwich before I went).  So I ate dinner for breakfast in the morning.  I started eating my salad at bedtime because I just couldn't eat it for breakfast.

I would love to have a big meal for breakfast every day.  But not enough to get up early and prepare such a thing.  So yogurt at my desk it is.

I am not really an emotional eater.  Occasionally I want to eat when I am bored.  Or when something I happen to like just happens to be available.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »
After thinking about this more... I am a craving eater. When something sounds good, and I am even slightly hungry, I find it nearly impossible to make a good choice. This is true in other areas of my life as well (hence, master procrastinator!). When I decide to lose weight, finding a diet that specifically adressed cravings made it possible for me to stick with it long term (almost a year now).

Offline crazypants

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »
Not much of an emotional eater perse. More of a boredom eater.
:incazzato: Boredom is an emotion!

:bitchfight:

Emotional eating is getting into a huge argument with your husband and then afterwards deciding that dozen yogurt will make you both feel better.
If we were married, we'd never fight. I would however still insist you eat frozen yogurt. :ok:

Offline crazypants

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »
After thinking about this more... I am a craving eater. When something sounds good, and I am even slightly hungry, I find it nearly impossible to make a good choice.
So it would evil of me to implant a food in your mind, right?

OK- I will do my best to not talk about pizza. Not even pizza with a fluffy thick crust's still a little chewy, but not hard, with tangy tomato sauce, goey hot cheese and of course- I won't talk about the delicious toppings. No that would cruel, so I'll leave out peperoni, bacon, green pepper, onion, tomato and mushrooms.

And I certainly wouldn't mention that I'm having that for dinner tonight and making it at home so it's not going to be greasy, and using turkey peperoni and turkey bacon so it's actually low fat and low sodium.

And I won't mention that it's going to be paired with Carlsburg.
Or that I've got a second pizza crust with your name on it if you want to come over at 7.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »

Offline debbatx

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline makeda

• piggery jokery
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
God, yes. 

Example: Fresh out of college, I had a stressful job.  My colleagues noticed how I was always saying "I'm hungry!"  I was actually trying to treat anxiety with vending machine snacks.
"I'm judgy like a Sunday morning..." - tazawa

"Michelle Obama and her buttocks are waging war on the freedoms of our children" - Red Tornado

"Plenty of christ to go around here." - nneJ

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »
God, yes. 

Example: Fresh out of college, I had a stressful job.  My colleagues noticed how I was always saying "I'm hungry!"  I was actually trying to treat anxiety with vending machine snacks.

This, I start eating when I am stressing... I can inhale a whole can of pringles in less than an hour no problemo...and I crave eat, and once I start I can't usually stop...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
I'm a compulsive overeater, especially under stress.

Was eating well the past couple of months, lost about 15 pounds. Last week I had a couple of really bad days, and it's been pizza and ice cream ever since. Can't seem to break the pattern.

Shit.
:hug:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »
Since I stopped snacking and cut down on my intake- I feel great!!!
 :banana:

Offline GreenMan

• The Runners
  • Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
Habits eat good intentions for breakfast.

Offline debbatx

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 09:47:20 AM »
This, I start eating when I am stressing... I can inhale a whole can of pringles in less than an hour no problemo...and I crave eat, and once I start I can't usually stop...

Yep. If I start, I have to stop within an hour, or I'm screwed and will go through withdrawal for at least 3 days after a binge ends.
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »
I am most certainly an emotional eater. It's not good at all.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
I'm an opportunistic eater.  If it's there, I eat it.   If I only have healthy/clean foods around that's what I eat.  If there's a plate of biscuits and gravy sitting in front of me there's no way I'm not digging in.
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

+-SUPPORT US