Author Topic: What lives on your counter?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
What lives on your counter?
« on: January 04, 2021, 01:03:57 AM »
We’ve acquired a bunch of new cooking gadgets over the last month. I’ve always been very minimalist about what gets left on the counter, mainly because counter space was at a premium. But now we have a lot of space and those gadgets have started to creep in...

The kitchen aid mixer gets a spot, though it gets used less than it probably should.
In another corner is the instant pot.
Next to the sink the soda stream—I’d love to get an alternative up and running in the kegerator, but until I do, there it sits.
We have a cubby area for the toaster oven and another where the meat slicer and vacuum freezer live.
We also have a panini press which gets left out more than it should, but gets used at least 3-4x a week.

There’s a separate niche in between the kitchen and living room where we have coffee maker(s) and espresso maker. And the pasta maker has taken up residence there now too.

It feels like way too much, but other than the mixer, it all gets used at least weekly and we do prep work on a center island so it’s not hampering from a functional perspective.

We have lots of storage, but I hate having to dig through cabinets for equipment, so there it all sits.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: What lives on your counter?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 06:54:05 AM »
Nothing other than a caddy for utensils and a sugar container.

We have a "butlers pantry" (quotes because there was never any butlers in this house.   The room was sectioned off the kitchen in the 80's) and it has a giant we got from Lowes long ago.  It's got 9 cubbies and all the appliances go there.  So no digging needed but not on the counter. The coffee maker and sodastream are on an old sideboard in there too, along with mt onions, garlic, squash and extra boxed/canned goods.

It's done a lot to make the kitchen tidier.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
What lives on your counter?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 08:00:02 AM »
Instant pot, soda steam and a Magic Bullet knockoff. And the toaster sits on top of the freezer.

I’m thinking about taking our gas oven out and replacing it with a cuisinart air fryer/toaster combo. Then we could get rid of the toaster, and I could downsize the instant pot. We would still be able to bake in the convection/microwave oven.

Oops, forgot the electric water kettle.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:32:35 AM by Natasha »

Online ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »
Knife block, spoon rests, caddy for utensils, salt cellar, pepper mill, chemex, electric kettle, burr grinder and espresso machine.

I haul out the air fryer, instant pot, kitchenaid, toaster, etc as needed.  We have a decent sized kitchen but not big enough to have all of those out and still have room to cook.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:51:10 AM »
Too much given the small kitchen:
towels, blender, knife block, large implement holder on one side.  Coffee maker, air fryer, stand mixer and toaster on the other.  And of course the drying rack next to the sink.

I'd like to get the stand mixer off the counter and wouldn't mind taking it up/down but don't have a great place to put it.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 05:41:53 PM »
Toaster (which I resisted for so long and is rarely used. But marriage is about compromise).
Compost bucket.
Large cutting board.
Salt well
Coffee grinder and both french presses
Weather station
Sometimes a speaker

Usually there is a variety of other stuff waiting to be put away.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 05:56:57 PM »
Lol, I'm not sure I want to say lest I be judged harshly :nails:.  6 qt Instant Pot, Keurig machine, salt dish, pepper grinder, large ceramic container for cooking implements, a cluster of frequently used spices, toaster oven, a smaller ceramic container for dishwashing implements, paper towel holder, touchless soap dispenser, coffee maker, coffee bean grinder, knife block, blender, food processor, and an ever changing collection of tools relating to whatever I'm tinkering with at the moment (e.g., a complete set of metric and SAE T-handle allen keys). 

Offline joy2theworld

• Turgid
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 06:09:40 PM »
Keurig, crock of utensils and microwave.  The island has paper towels, hand cream and dish detergent beside the sink.  While I don't have a lot of storage, I also don't like a lot of clutter on the countertops.  So, I've pared down my kitchen gadgets to only those things that I use regularly or multi-function appliances (i.e. my microwave is also a convection oven and air fryer).

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 06:45:12 AM »
Toaster, electric kettle, dish drainer,  dish soap, compost bucket, paper towel holder, olive oil x2, salt x3, frequent use spices, two canisters of utensils, jar of measuring spoons, microwave, coffee grinder, french press, coffee beans, food processor, yogurt maker.

Sent from my SM-A102W using Tapatalk

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »
kitchen aid mixer and a cutting board

(toaster, perco, grinder, cuisinart, and blender all live on a kitchen cart on the far side of the room)

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 10:48:22 AM »
Ok, you all are putting me to shame! I only mentioned actual appliances  :roll: If I were going to include everything, it’s a much, much longer list that also includes two huge double tiered baskets that hold fresh fruit, bread, potatoes, etc. in addition to the paper towels, olive/canola and avocado oil, spices, regularly used dry goods and on and on... I did clear out the jars of beans and put them in the pantry!

Ahem. I also have two cast iron frying pans that live on my stove.

In general, if it’s heavy and gets used weekly, I leave it out. The mixer is the one exception, but there’s an easy spot for it, so there it sits.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 11:37:15 AM »
oh - a bowl filled with onions and garlic lives on the cutting board.  salt and pepper shaker are there, too.  if i had a larger kitchen, i might leave more stuff lying about.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 03:35:48 PM »
The dutch oven is on my stovetop too now that you mention it.  No good spot for it AND it's pretty.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 04:51:12 PM »
Also citrus bowl and garlic basket! Plus a cast iron skillet on the stovetop.

Sent from my SM-A102W using Tapatalk

Online ihop

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 08:19:05 AM »
And hand soap dispenser, paper towel holder and bowl for onions, garlic, and whatever veg or fruit doesn't need the fridge.  I forgot about the island!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 07:44:34 PM »
coffee maker and grinder, hot water heater, Brita water pitcher, spoon rest, fruit basket, salt, large ceramic container for cooking implements, toaster, paper towel holder, soap dispenser, food processor, scale, oil, and zojirushi rice cooker

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 12:09:23 PM »
Appliances: Kitchen aid and Keurig (which I would like to replace with a nespresso)
Other stuff: Radio (Its cute...1950s looking), essential oil diffuser, pool remote charger, paper towel holder, soap dispenser, olive oils/vinegars, knife block, a decorative cutting board, gnome mug, cooking utensil holder, spoon rest, and 4 decorative containers with popcorn, pasta, ect.

We have 3 different counter areas.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 01:05:09 PM »
I got a little Nespresso Virtuo at Black Friday pricing and I'm super happy with it.  Love my drip coffee maker but when I go to bed without putting in the water and coffee I like something even easier for a cup when I wake up.

+-SUPPORT US