Author Topic: Easy meals recommendations  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Easy meals recommendations
« on: January 02, 2021, 11:27:06 AM »
Help!

I do like cooking but all of my meals are over complicated. What are the easiest meals ever? Like cereal and milk, PB&J sandwiches.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Easy meals recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 11:31:33 AM »
Do you have an Instant Pot? Do you eat leftovers? do you freeze?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
I do use an instant pot, almost daily. I like leftovers, but we have limited fridge and freezer space so I can’t store too much.

You can see the three storage containers with chili, rice and cilantro... that’s about all the room that I have for leftovers.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 12:51:34 PM »
Pasta. Eggs. Tacos(American style). Bean & cheese burritos. Ceviche. Stirfry (esp if you can get precut veggies).

Some from mark bittman:

Tortilla soup: Obviously best with fresh salsa, homemade stock and so on, but even with store-bought ingredients this has appeal: Combine one cup of cooked black beans and one cup of corn kernels with four cups of chicken stock in a pot; heat through. (You can add leftover chicken meat.) Fill four bowls with cilantro, tortilla chips, salsa and shredded cheese. Pour broth over chip mixture and serve.

Fast beans and vegetables: Sauté chopped onions, minced garlic and sliced zucchini in extra virgin olive oil. Add two cups of cooked white beans and two cups of chopped tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, lots of basil and a little more oil. Serve plain or over couscous.

3 Sauté chopped chorizo (the hard Spanish kind) in olive oil until it begins to crisp. Add two cups of chopped tomatoes and one cup of water or clam juice; cook until saucy. Add a dozen or more well-scrubbed littleneck clams and cook until they open. Serve in bowls, along with bread.

4 Lebanese fava bean salad: Heat equal amounts of canned fava beans and chickpeas; mash with a potato masher along with a minced garlic clove, lemon juice to taste and salt. Garnish with chopped parsley and diced tomatoes. Eat with pita.

The Greek fried egg: Heat olive oil gently in a skillet with fresh oregano; fry eggs in it. Pour into a bowl and top with crumbled feta cheese and a handful of olives. Serve with country bread.

6 Basil chicken, Indian style: Ideally, this is marinated for hours, but you can either cheat and skip that, or think ahead. Grind together half a cup of basil leaves, five cloves garlic, a one-inch piece of ginger, half a cup of plain yogurt, two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, one tablespoon lemon juice and some salt. Toss with one-and-a-half-inch chunks of chicken breast (or salmon, pork or other protein); marinate in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Shake off excess marinade and broil or grill chicken until done, turning once.

7 Mix grated lemon peel with softened butter (or olive oil) and salt. Cut the lemons into quarters and alternate on skewers with shrimp. Grill or broil, brushing with lemon butter, until shrimp are done.

8 Bean-and-tuna salad: Good, olive-oil packed tuna is a must here: Combine two cups of cannellini beans, drained, with a minced red onion, a can of tuna, olive oil and salt and pepper as needed. Chopped sage is great in this, as are rosemary and basil.

Toss three cups of strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered, with a tablespoon of good aged balsamic vinegar and some black pepper. Wash and dry four cups arugula, then toss with salt and olive oil. Combine with the berries, and crumble fresh goat cheese over all.

10 Cucumber soup: Peel and seed, if necessary, four to six medium cucumbers (or three English cucumbers); purée in a food processor with a seeded, stemmed jalapeño (optional), a scallion, a clove of garlic and a cup or more of yogurt or sour cream; add a little cold water if necessary to get the machine to work. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls, garnished with a little more yogurt or sour cream, and some snipped dill or chives.

I've shared this before but maybe it'd help:
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dining/18mini.html

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 01:06:45 PM »
I saved that Mark Bittman link in Evernote ten years ago. :D

Most of them involve ingredients I don’t have access to, or at least aren’t regularly in my kitchen. But there are a few I should attempt to make.  We always have cans of mackerel or sardines.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 01:52:24 PM »
That list looks amazing RA!

My go to easy meal that always comes out great is the Natasha’s pork tenderloin recipe. Super easy and always good.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 04:27:14 PM »
That list looks amazing RA!

My go to easy meal that always comes out great is the Natasha’s pork tenderloin recipe. Super easy and always good.

I’ll add that we just keep a full jar of the seasoning for this on hand. It’s also great on chicken thighs, which is another super easy meal.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 05:25:58 PM »
This game is so much harder on a boat!

My super easiest meals involve veggies someone else has prepped. Like for lunch I just opened a tub of "holiday hash" from trader joes. Which has sweet potato, squash, onion,  celery,  & herbs. I boiled a 6 minute egg while it heated.  I don't need the carbs but would be great with some cous cous & brown rice on the side. I topped it with trader joes romesco sauce. Super easy & yummy but hard on a boat, I'd imagine!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »
Oh yeah...the instant pot risotto goes in this thread. Burgers. Sausages with peppers and onions and kraut.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 11:40:24 AM »
This game is so much harder on a boat!

My super easiest meals involve veggies someone else has prepped. Like for lunch I just opened a tub of "holiday hash" from trader joes. Which has sweet potato, squash, onion,  celery,  & herbs. I boiled a 6 minute egg while it heated.  I don't need the carbs but would be great with some cous cous & brown rice on the side. I topped it with trader joes romesco sauce. Super easy & yummy but hard on a boat, I'd imagine!

I’ve never made a 6 minute egg but that could be a winner. So many things to put it on. Toast, couscous, leftover cooked veggies.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 07:40:37 PM »
RA, those are great ideas.

+-SUPPORT US