Author Topic: Sous vide  (Read 5150 times)

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Sous vide
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 01:56:40 PM »
It does take some trying to get the right temp and time for steaks and it, of course, depends on the cut.  We have the filet's nailed - perfectly tender with a beautiful crust from the screaming hot cast iron pan. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »
Some of our local restaurants do their poached eggs sous vide so you can have them nice and runny.  :)

I think it would be nice for re-heating meats so that they don't dry out.  Is that a thing?
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 05:25:33 PM »
I am just here to say that raw flour is also a contamination risk, maybe moreso than eggs. So, if you are worried about getting sick from cookiedough please also cook your flour. I think you can do it in the microwave or oven

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 09:56:14 AM »
It does take some trying to get the right temp and time for steaks and it, of course, depends on the cut.  We have the filet's nailed - perfectly tender with a beautiful crust from the screaming hot cast iron pan. 

:!:

Now that's a very good point, i.e., that filet mignon would lend itself more to sous vide then browning in a cast iron pan than, say, a Porterhouse.

Bradenton!BFF says that fish (esp. salmon or tuna) poached in oil using the sous vide is excellent.  That's another item on my list of sous vide stuff to try.

#notallprogressives

Offline ihop

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
We will need to try fish!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 10:56:57 AM »
We will need to try fish!

I do salmon filets.  After a 30 sec sear in a hot skillet to crisp up the skin, they are perfection.  Actually, they are fine without the sear, juicy and bursting with flavor.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »
I’ve never seen one of these contraptions, and am having a hard time imagining how it all works. Anyone want to explain it?

You can decarb and infuse oil with one as well.  :smokin:
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 05:25:07 PM »
Ok, I bought salmon today to give that a try first! Expecting great things! :D

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2021, 01:32:21 PM »
My friend yesterday was telling me about how he cooked a prime rib for Christmas in his. And then about the searing. We went into a long discussion about it which was rather entertaining. He said the prime rib was outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2021, 01:38:35 PM »
We do a lot of steak and pork chops in it. Salmon is great as well. DH also uses it to decarb weed and make tincture.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Offline picote

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »
Any go to salmon recipes/instructions? Going to try pork chops next. That’s one of the foods I’ve just never loved when I make them.

Eta that I just realized I was totally spacey. DH gave me a cook book from America’s test kitchen along with the cooker. So many interesting ideas!  I might try lobster tails next, since that’s one I never feel confident with.   

There’s a salmon recipe with orange, cilantro and avocado relish that looks great. Will try for dinner tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:33:53 PM by picote »

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2021, 09:22:40 PM »
My friend yesterday was telling me about how he cooked a prime rib for Christmas in his. And then about the searing. We went into a long discussion about it which was rather entertaining. He said the prime rib was outstanding.

I really like it for ribeye steaks.  Every so often I buy a whole boneless ribeye from Costco for dry aging.  I keep it in the fridge, but carve off steaks as needed.  The cool thing about sous vide is that I can batch process the steaks, cooking up a bunch in advance and then just keeping them refrigerated until I want to serve them.  Since they are already cooked, I can just sear and serve. 

Offline picote

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2021, 10:56:51 PM »
I really like it for ribeye steaks.  Every so often I buy a whole boneless ribeye from Costco for dry aging.  I keep it in the fridge, but carve off steaks as needed.  The cool thing about sous vide is that I can batch process the steaks, cooking up a bunch in advance and then just keeping them refrigerated until I want to serve them.  Since they are already cooked, I can just sear and serve. 

Wait... how long do you keep them in the fridge? Are you keeping them in the sous vide bag? I need to better understand this.

I’m generally so sketch about meat that sits in the fridge too long, but I’ve noticed a lot of the large pieces that are vacuum packed have expiration/freeze by dates a month or two out. We bought a meat slicer in the fall and I’m trying to figure out if there’s a safe way to buy a large vacuum packed corned beef, slice off a pound of it and reseal for the fridge. The meat quality after the freezer just isn’t great.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2021, 11:58:12 PM »
Wait... how long do you keep them in the fridge? Are you keeping them in the sous vide bag? I need to better understand this.

I’m generally so sketch about meat that sits in the fridge too long, but I’ve noticed a lot of the large pieces that are vacuum packed have expiration/freeze by dates a month or two out. We bought a meat slicer in the fall and I’m trying to figure out if there’s a safe way to buy a large vacuum packed corned beef, slice off a pound of it and reseal for the fridge. The meat quality after the freezer just isn’t great.

I keep the sous vide steaks in the fridge for 1-5 days.  Yes, in the same bag they were cooked in.  I'm sure you could keep them longer, but good steak doesn't last long around here.

As for the sketch factor, the meat has already been dry aging in the fridge for weeks before it is sliced.  I don't even start slicing off steaks until the meat has been in the fridge for at least 14 days.  Some people dry age for much longer, like 75 days.  I'm not that patient and usually polish off a boneless ribeye in 30 to 40 days. 

I've been doing this for a while and have never had any issues with food-borne illness.  These large cuts of meat are pretty clean on the inside because they've never been cut open.  I'm sure some bacteria form on the outermost layers, but you would naturally trim away those layers as you form the steaks.  And even if you didn't, the sous vide and sear cooking steps would tend to kill off or attenuate the viability of any pathogens. 

Just guessing, but I suspect you would be fine slicing some corned beef off a big hunk of it and then holding the remainder in the fridge for further slicing.  Just throw away the first slice because that's where any bacteria would tend to form.  I always take a thin slice off the ribeye if it's been sitting for long. 

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2021, 07:25:16 PM »
We've also done it where we sous vide meat, either steaks or pork chops, and then take them camping in the vacuum sealed bags. Makes for quick campfire or camp stove cooking and no leaking of juices into the cooler.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2021, 08:43:46 PM »
I did poached eggs yesterday. They were nice although a bit more trouble than usual.

I’m going to try sous vide soft-boiled eggs this week. They sound pretty controversial. People either love them or hate them.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2021, 08:46:57 PM »
We've also done it where we sous vide meat, either steaks or pork chops, and then take them camping in the vacuum sealed bags. Makes for quick campfire or camp stove cooking and no leaking of juices into the cooler.

Great idea, making a note.

+-SUPPORT US