Author Topic: mozarella: freezing?  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
mozarella: freezing?
« on: December 27, 2020, 10:09:58 AM »
So I typically buy fresh mozarella for pizza and have a good chunk left over. It usaully goes bad and I have to toss it. Any idea if you can freeze it, and how to use it afterwards?

or maybe some other ideas on how to use the left overs?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: mozarella: freezing?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
It's so wet that it will develop big ice crystals. If you make pizza fairly often, I think it would be ok, maybe? I'd try it anyway! I'd slice it up, freeze it on wax paper on a sheet pan and then put in a ziploc.  It use a vacuum sealer if you have one.

If you want to use it, toss it on any salad.  Though this time of year beets & pistachio would be good or citrus with avocado. You could also use it on a sandwich (hot or cold) or drizzle a little olive oil & balsamic and eat it with some good toasted bread rubbed with a garlic clove.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »
I've had decent luck freezing the kind of mozzarella that comes shredded in a bag. It's never quite the same after being thawed, but it's still fine for throwing on pizzas or into casseroles, which is all I ever use that for anyway.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 02:50:45 PM »
I've had decent luck freezing the kind of mozzarella that comes shredded in a bag. It's never quite the same after being thawed, but it's still fine for throwing on pizzas or into casseroles, which is all I ever use that for anyway.

Yes, the low moisture type is fine to freeze. It still melts fine. The texture changes a little but on a pizza not noticeable as long as it's grated before you freeze it. I think fresh that is destined to melt anyway would probably also be ok, but have never tried it.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »
It's so wet that it will develop big ice crystals. If you make pizza fairly often, I think it would be ok, maybe? I'd try it anyway! I'd slice it up, freeze it on wax paper on a sheet pan and then put in a ziploc.  It use a vacuum sealer if you have one.

If you want to use it, toss it on any salad.  Though this time of year beets & pistachio would be good or citrus with avocado. You could also use it on a sandwich (hot or cold) or drizzle a little olive oil & balsamic and eat it with some good toasted bread rubbed with a garlic clove.
Good ideas. I will try the sheet pan idea for sure. I only ever eat it on pizza.
We decided to use some of the left over from last night in the black bean soup I made for tonight. We shall see...

+-SUPPORT US