Author Topic: Good vegetable recipes  (Read 59769 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Good vegetable recipes
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »
I like this recipe a lot. I know you don't eat tomatoes or chick peas but I'm posting it because the spinach preparation (with garlic and ginger and peppers) is really yummy even if you stopped the recipe at that point. 

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-chickpeas-with-spinach-and-tomatoes

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »
I like this recipe a lot. I know you don't eat tomatoes or chick peas but I'm posting it because the spinach preparation (with garlic and ginger and peppers) is really yummy even if you stopped the recipe at that point. 

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-chickpeas-with-spinach-and-tomatoes

that reminded me of one of all time favourite recipes: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/420624/grilled-aubergines-with-spicy-chickpeas-and-walnut

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2017, 02:02:42 PM »
this just popped up in my twitter feed City Kitchen: Make Cauliflower and Broccoli More Compelling and I would like to look at it but I have reached my monthly limit of free articles (I blame Donald Trump)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2017, 02:15:10 PM »
Basically they are suggesting to bake/roast broccoli & cauliflower and kick up the flavor quotient with aromatic and umami ingredients.

There is no need to settle for plain steamed cauliflower or broccoli, however. There isn’t a cruciferous vegetable that couldn’t be made more compelling with garlic, red pepper and lemon, more delectable with a bit of oil, butter or cheese.

Here are the recipes found in the article.

Baked Romanesco Broccoli With Mozzarella and Olives

Sicilian cooks make a traditional cauliflower dish, using a pale-green variety that is baked with soft mild sheep’s milk cheese and studded with meaty black olives. It can also be made with Romanesco broccoli (confusingly called Roman cauliflower in English), the very bright chartreuse-colored cauliflower with pointy spiral florets you find at farmer’s markets. But regular white cauliflower is fine, and will give delicious results too.
INGREDIENTS
 Salt and pepper
2 or 3 medium heads romanesco broccoli (about 3 pounds)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling baking dish
1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
1 cup grated pecorino or Parmesan (about 2 ounces)
1 dozen soft black oil-cured olives, or another type of black olive, pitted
1 teaspoon roughly chopped capers
4 roughly chopped anchovy fillets
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
 Pinch of dried oregano
 Nutritional Information
PREPARATION
Put a large pot of well-salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut broccoli into quarters and trim away the core and any tough bits. Chop quarters into rough 2-inch cubes. Transfer to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
Lightly oil an earthenware baking dish. Arrange blanched broccoli in one layer. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Tear mozzarella slices and scatter over the top, then sprinkle with pecorino. Arrange olives here and there. In a small bowl, stir together capers, anchovy, garlic, red pepper and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Drizzle mixture evenly over the top.
Bake for about 30 minutes, until cheese has browned a bit and broccoli is tender when pierced with a fork. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with a good pinch of dried oregano.

Pan-Roasted Cauliflower With Garlic, Parsley and Rosemary

Nearly any vegetable tastes good browned in olive oil and showered with garlic, parsley and rosemary, but cauliflower is an especially good candidate for this technique. The inherent sweetness of cauliflower begs for a hit of lemon and hot pepper too. Serve hot or at room temperature.

NGREDIENTS
2 medium cauliflower heads (about 2 pounds)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
 Salt and black pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
1 teaspoon grated or finely minced garlic
½ teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
½ cup roughly chopped parsley
½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
¼ cup roasted salted almonds (homemade or store bought), roughly chopped
1 red fresno chile, thinly sliced, for garnish (optional)
 Lemon wedges, for serving
 Nutritional Information
PREPARATION
Cut each cauliflower in quarters and remove the core. Cut quarters into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Chop down wider slices so all are approximately the same jagged size.
Heat olive oil in a heavy wide skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add cauliflower and toss to coat using a metal spatula or flat wooden spoon. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Keeping heat brisk, repeatedly turn the cauliflower, letting the slices brown as they cook. Adjust heat as necessary to keep them sizzling nicely but not scorching. Continue to stir and flip the cauliflower until it is tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add crushed red pepper, garlic, rosemary, parsley and lemon zest. Stir well to coat and cook 1 minute more. Check seasoning, then transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with almonds and fresno chile, if using, and serve with lemon wedges.

Butter-Steamed Broccoli With Peppery Bread Crumbs
ere is an easy, elegant broccoli dish. If you wish, make the crumbs by pulsing cubes of day-old French bread in a food processor, but really any type of bread crumbs will do.

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ cups coarse bread crumbs
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
 Salt
1 large head or 2 medium heads broccoli (1/2 to 2 pounds)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, for shaving
 Nutritional Information
PREPARATION
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread bread crumbs on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes, turning pan and stirring crumbs occasionally to ensure even browning. Remove from oven and transfer crumbs to a bowl. Stir in black pepper and salt to taste. Set aside at room temperature.
Cut off thick stems of broccoli and save for another purpose, such as soup. Cut broccoli tops into 3-inch-long spears of approximately equal size.
Put a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter, add broccoli spears and season with salt. Add 1 cup water, turn heat to high and cover skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Cook rapidly until firm-tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes. The broccoli should absorb all the butter and water. (If there is any buttery liquid left, spoon over broccoli just before serving.)
Transfer broccoli to a serving platter or a large wide shallow bowl. Sprinkle generously with peppery crumbs. Using a vegetable peeler, shave Parmesan into rough shards and scatter over the top.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »
Basically they are suggesting to bake/roast broccoli & cauliflower and kick up the flavor quotient with aromatic and umami ingredients.

Here are the recipes found in the article.

thank you for satiating my curiosity... I was hopeful for a bigger revelation, but that will do!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2017, 02:57:26 PM »
Beano works, guys! The only side effect is that it's a little pricey.

Beano does not work for beer, sadly.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »
I made pizza on Saturday night. I thought I had some pizza sauce at home but I didn't. I did have a head of broccoli that needed using though. So, chopped the broccoli and tossed with garlic, olive oil, crushed red pepper and roasted at 500 degrees. Then I topped the pizza with the roasted broccoli, some chopped kale, capers, and kalamata olives and mozz (a la the recipe above). It turned out really good and was pretty easy. I think it would have been even better with the oil cured kind dictated in the recipe.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »
I made the pan roasted cauliflower with garlic, rosemary and parsley for dinner tonight (with seared ahi tuna) and it was fantastic!  SO flavorful.  I made a small change: roasted the cauli in the oven instead of the pan to give me more freedom to work the grill (DD's flank steak) and the other things I was making (aioli, etc).  And I used a poblano pepper since I couldn't find a red fresno pepper.  (I wanted red so debated the pretty habañeros but decided against it.  :D)  thanks for the recipe!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2017, 07:53:11 PM »
I made pizza on Saturday night. I thought I had some pizza sauce at home but I didn't. I did have a head of broccoli that needed using though. So, chopped the broccoli and tossed with garlic, olive oil, crushed red pepper and roasted at 500 degrees. Then I topped the pizza with the roasted broccoli, some chopped kale, capers, and kalamata olives and mozz (a la the recipe above). It turned out really good and was pretty easy. I think it would have been even better with the oil cured kind dictated in the recipe.

Yum!  When I can have pizza again I am SO making this.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2017, 01:09:42 AM »

Sounds delicious!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »
Do they sell romanesco where you live?  I have only ever seen it in Europe.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2017, 06:20:50 AM »
Do they sell romanesco where you live?  I have only ever seen it in Europe.
they do here and our CSA grows it and it is in our share as well.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2017, 07:37:42 AM »
I had to look up romanesco... I always think of it as Fibonacci broccoli.  I can buy it locally in season but I never have, does it taste very different from broccoli?

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:07 AM »
Probably too much futzing for the average person, but one of the best salads I ever ate had smoked romanesco in it.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »
I had to look up romanesco... I always think of it as Fibonacci broccoli.  I can buy it locally in season but I never have, does it taste very different from broccoli?
To me, it is a little closer to cauliflower than broccoli, kinda like a cross between the two.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
I made the cauliflower recipe above last night and served it alongside the lemony lentils I made over the weekend. It turned out yummy. I also did it in the oven (500 degrees) instead of on the stove. Today I brought the leftovers to lunch and just added them to my soup. Still yummy.

I believe that romanesco is actually a cauliflower variant. I do see it in the stores sometimes. I would say it's nuttier and milder than cauliflower. But very similar. I do tend to think of cauliflower and broccoli as fairly interchangeable. It's always fun to mix things up though.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »
This one popped up in one of my feeds (no pun intended) today: https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/01/crusty-baked-cauliflower-and-farro/.

I'm adding it to my list.

This looks good.

I've never made farro. Is it similar to barley?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
To me, it is a little closer to cauliflower than broccoli, kinda like a cross between the two.

1.  i find it more like cauliflower than anything else.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2017, 05:00:11 PM »
This looks good.

I've never made farro. Is it similar to barley?

That does look good. Need to try it.

Farro is a fancy name for wheat berry. I would say it's more like a chewier/more substantial brown rice. I usually cook it like pasta (rolling boil until tender) and then drain it. It has way more protein and fiber than rice. I love it.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2017, 05:27:14 PM »
That does look good. Need to try it.

Farro is a fancy name for wheat berry. I would say it's more like a chewier/more substantial brown rice. I usually cook it like pasta (rolling boil until tender) and then drain it. It has way more protein and fiber than rice. I love it.

Sounds like kind of like barley! :) I will try it -- I always see it at the store but have never purchased it.

+-SUPPORT US