Author Topic: Good vegetable recipes  (Read 60081 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Good vegetable recipes
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
We have pickled okra aplenty up in these here parts. :)  I'd love to learn how to pickle it one of these days, actually. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »
MM- where are you finding these recipes? Do they have reviews? Yeah cream of broccoli soup has to have something to make it creamy, either cream, milk, cheese, raw cashews, etc.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »
MM- where are you finding these recipes? Do they have reviews? Yeah cream of broccoli soup has to have something to make it creamy, either cream, milk, cheese, raw cashews, etc.

Forks over knives cookbook so no reviews. Its ok. I wasn't expecting it to be really creamy but it was basically pureed broccoli.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2017, 09:37:18 PM »
Forks over knives cookbook so no reviews. Its ok. I wasn't expecting it to be really creamy but it was basically pureed broccoli.
Yeah for a vegan soup you are going to need pureed raw cashews or something similar to make it creamy. FOK is a low fat cookbook too, so there will be some recipes that just don't work. Check out the Oh She Glows blog or cookbook, she has some fabulous recipes.

This recipe is soooo good, uses soy sauce, wonder if coconut aminos would be ok?

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/10/roasted-cheezy-broccoli-over-golden.html

what about something like this?
http://missfrugalmommy.com/healthy-buffalo-cauliflower-bites-recipe/
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
I figured out it was super low calorie when it wanted me to Sautee my veggies using water instead of evolution. Ummm...not going to happen.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2017, 03:30:19 PM »
I figured out it was super low calorie when it wanted me to Sautee my veggies using water instead of evolution. Ummm...not going to happen.

What is evolution?  I mean, I know what evolution is but what type of ingredient is it?
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »
What is evolution?  I mean, I know what evolution is but what type of ingredient is it?
Gonna assume EVOO :D

FOK is based on research for heart patients and those reversing heart disease, so yes, it will be VERY low in fat.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »
Sorry just got back here.
I am such a lackadaisical cook, I rarely write a recipe down, occasionally I will save one as a favorite.
Anyway, I also buy a pickling spice mixture at this local farmer's market just over the border from Delaware in PA. So I don't follow the exact recipes and I don't add dill.
Also, I like to blanch the okra slightly, too much and it will fall apart. If you don't blanch, it takes 4 weeks to get soft.
You can use this method for any veg, I followed this, sort of. I add some sugar to mine, I guess you could use agave if you wanted.
I have thrown lightly cooked cauliflower, string beans, and Romanesco in mine too.
FYI I have some Okra that has been in there for longer than a month and it's just fine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ted-allen/refrigerator-pickles-cauliflower-carrots-cukes-you-name-it-recipe.html
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2017, 06:16:14 PM »
Sorry just got back here.
I am such a lackadaisical cook, I rarely write a recipe down, occasionally I will save one as a favorite.
Anyway, I also buy a pickling spice mixture at this local farmer's market just over the border from Delaware in PA. So I don't follow the exact recipes and I don't add dill.
Also, I like to blanch the okra slightly, too much and it will fall apart. If you don't blanch, it takes 4 weeks to get soft.
You can use this method for any veg, I followed this, sort of. I add some sugar to mine, I guess you could use agave if you wanted.
I have thrown lightly cooked cauliflower, string beans, and Romanesco in mine too.
FYI I have some Okra that has been in there for longer than a month and it's just fine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ted-allen/refrigerator-pickles-cauliflower-carrots-cukes-you-name-it-recipe.html
Do you live near me???  :skep:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »

she doesn't.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
No, but the farmers market is Booths Corners.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »
No, but the farmers market is Booths Corners.
I live not far from right over the border in PA from DE :D

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »
Gonna assume EVOO :D

FOK is based on research for heart patients and those reversing heart disease, so yes, it will be VERY low in fat.

:roll:

Her autocorrect is trumping MOS's wacky typos!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
I live not far from right over the border in PA from DE :D
Do you know Booth's Corner market?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2017, 10:16:42 AM »
I do not and it is not that close to me, but looks cool, just googled it. The DE/PA border is not that small.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »
I do not and it is not that close to me, but looks cool, just googled it. The DE/PA border is not that small.
Still not that far from where Mom lives which is about a mile from the farmer's market.
We should meetup next time I am visiting if we can work it out.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »
Yes! Looks like 35 mins from my house. Cool Ethan lives not far from Wilmington.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »
For some reason I thought you were closer to Philly.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
For some reason I thought you were closer to Philly.
Kinda in between the two! Wilmington is probably a little closer to me than Philly.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2017, 05:27:55 PM »
So the husband is going on a medically supervised diet and the dinners are only allowed to be 300 cals and contain lean and veggies (not all veggies included) and no carbs. I think my new cookbook with be very helpful.

+-SUPPORT US