Author Topic: Kale  (Read 5457 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Kale
« on: November 20, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »
I had THE BEST kale salad yesterday, someone brought it to our potluck Thanksgiving party. I've asked for the recipe, and will share it here when I get it.

I don't usually go for raw kale, I find it a bit chewy. But the dressing was acidic (lemon based) and it seemed to tenderize the kale. There were roasted chickpeas in it, too.

We get kale a lot in our farm share (just picked up a batch today) and am always looking for new things to do with it.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Kale
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »
OK, here we go. This is the base recipe: http://www.onceuponachef.com/2013/12/baby-kale-salad-with-lemon-parmesan-crispy-roasted-chickpeas.html

and then she tweaked the vinaigrette a bit with some dijon and extra lemon juice.

Try it, it's so good!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »
You need to massage the kale :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 08:51:29 PM »
Yum!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:56:43 PM »
sounds delicious!   I love kale.

My favorite kale salad is served at a local restaurant and includes thinly shredded kale with currants and manchego, like a raw kale take on famous Spanish flavors
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 06:12:36 AM »
Don't you have a b.good near you? I am in love with their harvest kale salad.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 07:17:41 AM »
no b.good near here; they sound really good though
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline McG

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »
I had a delicious kale salad last week and I have been thinking about it ever since. It was at a restaurant (Alden and Harlow in Cambridge). I googled it and this website has re-created it. 

http://www.wearenotmartha.com/2014/05/chopped-kale-salad-with-pistachio-dressing/
McG has the perfect comedic touch: reserved only for just the right moments. - tazawa

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 07:39:07 AM »
no b.good near here; they sound really good though
They have some in MA. I think BA lives there? Or not far?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:51 AM »
I don't know of one near me, but I could have missed it. I think maybe I know of one in Boston proper, but I haven't been.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 01:26:55 PM »
I've heard it's actually the oil in dressing that tenderizes the kale in kale salads. I don't know if that's true or not though. That one looks excellent Bonita, I'll give it a shot.

This is a fall favorite at our house. It's pretty easy for a weeknight meal. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/roasted-delicata-squash-salad-recipe.html I double the dressing and use an entire head of kale. I skip the radishes and sometimes the potatoes. Marcona almonds really are "worth it" in this salad. If I didn't have them or didn't want to spend the $$ though I'd use sunflower seeds.

One of my favorite local pubs does a kale panzanella this time of year that has kale, toasted bread (of course!), roasted butternut squash, apples, sharp white cheddar, Dijon mustard and some kind of nuts and it is fantastic. A little bit sweet but not much.

I had a kale, dried cherrie, and goat cheese salad with a balsamic dressing the other night that was also good.

I don't mind the texture of raw kale and LOVE that I can make a kale salad for dinner and it's still in good shape for lunch the next day. But, if you don't love the texture of raw kale try the lacinato variety. It sort of looks like a cross between chard and kale and has a more tender texture.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 01:29:55 PM »

I don't mind the texture of raw kale and LOVE that I can make a kale salad for dinner and it's still in good shape for lunch the next day. But, if you don't love the texture of raw kale try the lacinato variety. It sort of looks like a cross between chard and kale and has a more tender texture.

I have to take what I get, because it comes in my CSA box. But, I will keep that advice in mind for the future!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »
I have to take what I get, because it comes in my CSA box. But, I will keep that advice in mind for the future!

I'm sure you're already doing this but also cut the entire stem out of the leaf (like if I'm cooking it I don't bother to get rid of all of it). And then I also think it helps to cut it in fat chiffonade style ribbons and then cut the ribbons into smaller pieces. I'm probably not explaining this right-- but anyway, smaller pieces definitely helps.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 06:27:11 PM »
I'm sure you're already doing this but also cut the entire stem out of the leaf (like if I'm cooking it I don't bother to get rid of all of it). And then I also think it helps to cut it in fat chiffonade style ribbons and then cut the ribbons into smaller pieces. I'm probably not explaining this right-- but anyway, smaller pieces definitely helps.

Yep, that's exactly how I prep it. And I'll chop and cook the stems if I'm sauteeing it, but they get trashed entirely if I'm eating it raw.

One thing I like to do is toss kale with olive oil and sea salt, and then roast in the oven until it's crispy. So yummy.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 11:05:27 PM »
oh yes!  kale chips are the best.  My family fights over them, even the dog.  :d

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 07:15:44 AM »
One of my favorite local pubs does a kale panzanella this time of year that has kale, toasted bread (of course!), roasted butternut squash, apples, sharp white cheddar, Dijon mustard and some kind of nuts and it is fantastic. A little bit sweet but not much.

I really like the idea of a panzanella with kale.

+-SUPPORT US