Author Topic: Your favorite cold weather gear  (Read 7121 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Your favorite cold weather gear
« on: November 25, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »
I’ve been told I need to put some items on a holiday wish list. I could use some new running gear. What’s your go-to when it’s frigid outside? What’s on your wish list?

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: Your favorite cold weather gear
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »
My Hind Drylete 1/4 zip top is something I've had for almost 20 years, and still is my main go to insulating winter top.  Saucony bought out Hind a few years ago. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
SportTek JST70 Running jacket.  I’ve had it for four years now and it gets me through anything that winter can throw at me. Surprisingly inexpensive.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »
My favorite cold weather item is a full-zip base layer top from Smartwool.  Lightweight, comfortable, warm, it wicks, and it's long enough to cover my ass.  I like it so much that when I busted the zipper, I asked for a zipper repair as a Christmas present.  They might not make a women's version but you should order one anyway.  Down with the patriarchy!   :P

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 06:43:40 AM »
Next to my skin, an Under Armour compression mock turtle neck.  This keeps the neck warm and prevents any drafts from your neck.
A 1/2 zip turtle neck (any brand) goes on top.  If the temperature is under 30, then I add a fleece vest or fleece sweater.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
My absolute fave and most used is a running vest I got from Lululemon.  It has a bunch of pockets that include zippered pockets, drop in pockets and a media pocket that holds cell phone in place.  If it's not too cold I can wear this over a thin long sleeve and if it's very cold I'll wear it over much warmer shirts so it's perfect for all weather.  And since it's nicely designed I wear it for casual wear, too.

https://shop.lululemon.com/p/womens-outerwear/Down-For-A-Run-Vest-II-MD/_/prod8840284?color=0001
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
Merino wool shirt that I got about 3 years ago has been very useful.

But guess depends on what you need. Socks that pull up over the ankles, tights or running pants (warm ups) that are breathable yet protect from wind and cold, jacket, buff and hat, gloves?
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 09:00:55 AM »
My treadmill😚

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 09:01:59 AM »
My treadmill😚

:roll:

I hate my treadmill! I only use it if I must. The kids seem to like it, though...

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 07:33:13 AM »
I am talking about beloe 20 degree weather here:

Hind Drylete is the first real "technical" clothing that I bought for the winter, back in 1988.  I think it was the first company to make innovative stuff in this area. It was wicked expensive back then. It is such high quality that I still have most of the pieces.  (One of the reasons I am happy I naver added body weight.)

For the past 7 or 8 years, I have been running in gore-tex running shoes. They make a LOT of difference.  I also wear longer socks in the winter. Can't stand cold ankles.

A lightweight balaclava from Under Armour has been great, too.

I have given up on finding he perfect mitten.  I now use the little handwarmer packets.  You can get 10-packs of those for about 6-7 dollars. Well worth it.

Treadmill: I hate it, too. But we have access to an indoor running track. Love it when it's cold out.  I did not use it until I had to recover from my broken ankle. I now use it when it's dark outside, when it's dangerous outside, or when I feel lazy.  (and when it's really, really hot outside in the summer.)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »
Under 20 seems about the right zone I’m looking for, thanks. I definitely need some sort of balaclava, I have nothing good for my face.

What does everyone think about wool vs synthetics?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »
Under 20 seems about the right zone I’m looking for, thanks. I definitely need some sort of balaclava, I have nothing good for my face.

The wool is nice, but definitely more money than the synthetics.  I definitely recommend the wool for socks.

Under 20, it may help to have something windproof, as it traps the heat well.  I have a windproof vest.  I also got a windproof jacket that has removable sleeves.  I did not really need it at the time, but it was such a bargain. Now I use it all the time.

My local Goodwill had some Ibex and Icebreaker tops in my size, so I got those at very low cost. They looked like brand-new. If you have a used store nearby, it's definitely worth it to go and check regularly.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »

You can get anything you need with synthetics, ranging from a tank top to a fleece jacket.  Wool has a tendency to shrink when washed and then has a different shape.  On the other hand, my daughter likes smart wool base layers which may hold their shape much better.  If you like a woolen product, make sure you read the reviews.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 08:10:31 AM »

You can get anything you need with synthetics, ranging from a tank top to a fleece jacket.  Wool has a tendency to shrink when washed and then has a different shape.  On the other hand, my daughter likes smart wool base layers which may hold their shape much better.  If you like a woolen product, make sure you read the reviews.

I have not found any shrinkage in smartwool, Ibex, and icebreaker. Wool products that I bought in the eighties definitely shrank.  I think they are being treated differently. Also, you must closely follow temps for washing for wool.  if not, you end up with boiled wool type garments.

Offline caito

• The Runners
Your favorite cold weather gear
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »
Mittens instead of gloves. Or at least the gloves that have a mitt-like pocket that can cover the fingers.

I agree about a great base layer. Merino wool, smart wool, etc. I have a Craft base layer that is synthetic. Very thin, waffle texture. It does that great thing of keeping you warm but also cool & dry.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »
Mittens instead of gloves. Or at least the gloves that have a mitt-like pocket that can cover the fingers.

I agree about a great base layer. Merino wool, smart wool, etc. I have a Craft base layer that is synthetic. Very thin, waffle texture. It does that great thing of keeping you warm but also cool & dry.

yes, I actually intended to say: put the handwarmers in mittens!  Open the handwarmer packet 30 min. before your run, place one in each mitten, and your hands will feel great on the run. I have also learned to wear my Garmin stopwatch over my sleeve in the winter.  No need to have it next to my skin and having to expose the skin to read the watch. 

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »
Yes me too! I can’t believe it took me so long to figure out to just put my watch over my jacket sleeve. Hello!! :D
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 09:31:31 PM »
I will wear gloves inside of mittens when it's below 30; 30-40 I put hand warmers inside my mittens.  I know they're expensive, but so worth it...the Lululemon run swiftly line of long or short sleeved shirts are amazing.  I can't really do wool, so this is the next best thing.  If it's under 40, I layer one of those with a vest.  I have a Lulu toque that i also love. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »
I have a couple of long sleeves (one shirt, one thin sweater) that have big ass watch face openings AND thumb holes #thebest
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 03:12:31 PM »

You need a buff with your favorite designs or meme. They're versatile and fun and can work as a headband, thin hat, mask, ear muff and towel to wipe your face. Like an American Express card in the 1980s and 1990s I don't leave home without one.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

+-SUPPORT US