Author Topic: USATF Club XC Championships  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
USATF Club XC Championships
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:50:59 AM »
Here's a bit of a photo essay from the age group USATF 8K Club XC Championships in Spokane, WA this past weekend. It's only masters running but I probably did more than any previous the 40 years combined combined, and won some age group championships on the roads along the way. This was my first XC championship since turning into the new age group. Previous finishes at USATFs over the past 5 years have included two 5ths, a 6th, and an 8th. Also, our team finished 2nd this for the year in the Grand Prix Series, to the Atlanta Track Club. However, the series was decided mostly on the roads, this XC and no one can match Club NW (Seattle) if they have their top guys lined up for XC.

Before the fray. Our team, the Boulder Road Runners all geared up and somewhat chilled already. It was 28 degrees and cloudy, but not much wind.

The rival team, Club NW, decked in orange (as were we), with Mike (black hat), Rick (orange hat), and defending champion Joe (white headband and fluorescent green tall socks).

We're off. Seconds after the starting gun was fired. In orange jerseys, from left to right, Club NW runners Rick, Joe, and Mike. And I'm on the other side of Mike, gray hat orange singlet wearing blue long sleeve underneath.

About 1 mile in (4th place). Joe took command of the race from the gun. I was in contact for the first quarter mile but saw that were running low 5:30s pace so decided to hold back and run more evenly. My first mile split was 5:42, Joe and Jacob were about 7 seconds up.

At about 2 miles (3rd place). Joe was 12 seconds up from me. Jacob 5 seconds behind him in 2nd place. And I was in 3rd, a few seconds ahead of Rick and Mike. By then the 5 of us had about 30 seconds on the rest of the field.

The finish, 2nd place in a hard fought finish. Joe was more than 30 seconds ahead, further cementing his legendary status as an XC runner. Behind me on the stretch you can see Rick and Mike fighting for the 3rd spot (podium), an Jacob (who had recently run a 2:47 marathon, 2nd best in the country) is rounding the turn another 20 seconds back.

Afterthoughts. While I was happy to get my first XC medal at a USATF championship, wasn't pleased to have been back so far from Joe. I was able to beat him on the roads twice this year. But since the 15K road race in late October, I've not been quite as sharp in the first 10 months of the year. Workouts seemed a little harder and recovery was slower. And I found first hand how good Joe is at XC--his stride does not look all that efficient on the roads, but in XC he glides over the uneven terrain as if it were a track. Nevertheless, I've gained on them. Five years ago he and Mike were about 1:50 ahead for 10K at Club XC. Three years ago it was 1:20. This is progress.

The team race was disappointing. This was the first race of the 2019 Grand Prix (figure that one out!) and we wanted to knock bitter rivals (but good friends) Atlanta on its heels. But two of our guys pulled out with injuries in the weeks before the trip, so our final scorer on Saturday was well back. We ended up in a points tie for 4th with Atlanta (Club NW, a Minnesota team, and the Vermont team, were ahead), but lost out on the tie-breaker because our final scorer was behind theirs. That said, we had a great time! 

What's ahead. Taking a needed break this week, followed by a couple weeks of cross training and easy running for the rest of the year. Then gearing back up and plotting for next year. Really want to get that Grand Prix team title. 

I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: USATF Club XC Championships
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 12:13:04 PM »
CONGRATS!  Great report.  You are flying in the running pics.   :ok:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »
Very cool.  Good pics too.  Congrats!
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »
 :obh:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:53:01 PM »
Congratulations!  Second place is huge; so great.  Loved the pictorial.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US