Author Topic: Need low carb ideas to go with a roast  (Read 3812 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Need low carb ideas to go with a roast
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:06:24 PM »
My ILs are coming over in a few weeks. i am going to make a roast.  My ILs sort of do the low-carb thing (they will eat some carbs, but they are coming over to help us wtih stuff with out house so I want to accomodate them.) 

I will make mashed potatoes for DH, DD and me. I will make some sort of veggies...probably zucchini and summer squash. But what else can I make? I want something more than a simple salad.  I would say my ILs probably will not eat anything "exotic."  So think they are really meat and potato type people, but as I said, they sort of do low-carb. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
Re: Need low carb ideas to go with a roast
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:46 PM »
My ILs are coming over in a few weeks. i am going to make a roast.  My ILs sort of do the low-carb thing (they will eat some carbs, but they are coming over to help us wtih stuff with out house so I want to accomodate them.) 

I will make mashed potatoes for DH, DD and me. I will make some sort of veggies...probably zucchini and summer squash. But what else can I make? I want something more than a simple salad.  I would say my ILs probably will not eat anything "exotic."  So think they are really meat and potato type people, but as I said, they sort of do low-carb.

Just a thought, but maybe use sweet potatoes for your mash.  Low carb peeps generally know that sweet potatoes trump the white ones and they'll appreciate the changeup. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:42:17 PM »
You could make zucchini fritters, kale chips (and your daughter might love them; all kids I know love kale chips), grill portobello steaks.  Portobellos are pretty meaty, that might not be a bad idea.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 06:39:10 AM »
Mashed cauliflower?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »
I'd probably do roasted veggies, and the nice thing is that you can stick them in the oven with the roast for very little extra effort.  I'd probably do summer veggies: some mix of zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, cauliflower florets, halved cherry tomatoes, onions, carrots, or broccoli.  Toss with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic powder, and throw in the oven. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:20:09 AM »
some ideas:

roasted beetroot cubed and tossed with goat cheese or feta cheese and balsamic vinegar
sauted or steamed mixed dark leafy greens
roasted cauliflower
squash or zuccini stuffed with nuts, seeds, dried fruit (grind 1/2 the nuts, mix with sauteed shallot & garlic, fresh herbs, an egg to bind if needed)

Offline redkitty

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 01:08:45 PM »
Good ideas. maybe i will do a mix of roasted veggies. I was going to saute the squash and zucchini anyway, so I will just roast them.  I like dried fruit idea mixed in idea. 

+-SUPPORT US