Author Topic: Pizza on the grill  (Read 6695 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Pizza on the grill
« on: May 15, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
If it ever warms back up enough that I feel like cooking outdoors again, I am planning on trying this.

I had it once and it was really awesome.

Any of you ever try making it? If so, any tips?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Re: Pizza on the grill
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:03:06 PM »
I do it.

I often put it on a pan instead of directly on the grill because then I can do a thinner crust but it works directly on the grill too (have done it on vacation).

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »
There are some people in the CH who do pizza in their outrageously expensive kamado ceramic grills.  I'm jealous, but too cheap to spend that much on pizza.  I bet you can do it on a cheapo grill and it would taste just fine. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:11:53 PM »
I've done it due to necessity: no power for 10 days after Hurricane Wilma.  Simple (not too many toppings) is best so you don't have to worry about toppings sliding off into the grill.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »
I don't even know what a kemado grill is, so no worries there. I'm gonna keep it real on the mediocre Home Depot gas grill we rock on our deck.

How do I get the pizza on/off the grill? Indoors I use a stone and a peel.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:28 PM »
a cookie sheet plus tongs.  just pry up the side and slide/jerk it under there really fast with mitts on.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »
I don't even know what a kemado grill is, so no worries there. I'm gonna keep it real on the mediocre Home Depot gas grill we rock on our deck.

How do I get the pizza on/off the grill? Indoors I use a stone and a peel.

Well, let me give you this piece of advice.  If you are going to spray the grill with non-stick spray (which works great) do it BEFORE you turn it on.  Lesson learned. 

We've done it, and it works great!  I spray the grill, or even you could probably rub oil on the grill, get it good and hot, plop the dough on there all flattened, and shut the lid.  I check back, and once the bottom gets a bit crispy (enough so that you can flip it with a spatula) I flip it, add toppings to the crispy side, and then shut it again.  I let it go until the top is good and melty.  Mmmmm.  I need to find a good GF pizza crust recipe.  I've been using pre-made crusts, and they are good, but pizza off the grill is f-ing delightful.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
:roll: at the spraying of the hot grill! Although, yikes!

I sometimes dip a paper towel in a little bowl of oil and then using tongs I lube up the grill with the paper towel.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
:roll: at the spraying of the hot grill! Although, yikes!

I sometimes dip a paper towel in a little bowl of oil and then using tongs I lube up the grill with the paper towel.

That is MUCH safer.  :D

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
anybody have a good pizza sauce recipe?

Offline Luckylily

• The Runners
  • Humorless Feminist Killjoy
Pizza on the grill
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »
I always make pizza on the grill. Precook the crust.

I have a big green egg, but don't bother cooking pizza on it. I don't know why anyone thinks tht would cost more? It's not like the grill is expensive to use... But i am too lazy to start a fire just to make pizza. The gas grill is way faster.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
I always make pizza on the grill. Precook the crust.

I have a big green egg, but don't bother cooking pizza on it. I don't know why anyone thinks tht would cost more? It's not like the grill is expensive to use... But i am too lazy to start a fire just to make pizza. The gas grill is way faster.

I think he meant that the grill itself was expensive, not that it was expensive to use.

I wish I could have a grill, our apartment complex won't allow them.  :(

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
I think he meant that the grill itself was expensive, not that it was expensive to use.

I wish I could have a grill, our apartment complex won't allow them.  :(

Yes, thank you, that's what I meant.  Authentic Kamado grills are generally pretty expensive.  Overkill for pizza, methinks. 

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Pizza on the grill
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »
I cook my crust on the grill. Super easy. Ive found that there is no need to oil the grill....the crust will release when it is cooked. I use a pizza peel dusted with cornstarch and slide the crust onto the grill. Close the lid for a couple of minutes. I use tongs to flip the crust.

Yum.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline ihop

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »
Yes, thank you, that's what I meant.  Authentic Kamado grills are generally pretty expensive.  Overkill for pizza, methinks. 

Love our Big Green Egg and we do cook pizza on it.  Yum!

But we use it all for time for lots of things - brisket will be smoked this weekend!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline buzzy

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
Grilled pizza for the first time this weekend.

Used the olive oil/tong paper towel method to oil the grill.

Dusted my pizza stone (used this really as just a work space) with flour to slide the dough off stone, and onto the grill.

Grilled the pizza for a couple of minutes, slid it off the grill back onto the pizza stone, and flipped the dough, brought it inside for toppings, and then brought it back outside.

Made 3 pizzas for the family.  The third one came out best, as I figured out how to get it done.

Did this as a father/son project.  DS did the toppings.  My boy was very distraught because he didn't get to pitch in his game (he's 8, and his game was cut short due to a stack-up of games and rain the night before).

Anyway, this cheered him up, and we had great pizza.  The dough really sucks up the charcoal flavor.

--buzz

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 07:12:28 PM »
I love the technique! I will try something like that. I still haven't gotten around to it...  :-[

+-SUPPORT US