Author Topic: Help me love my cast iron skillet  (Read 29736 times)

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Help me love my cast iron skillet
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2017, 10:44:04 PM »
So, yesterday I tried to fry a couple of eggs in the carbon steel pan and it was an unmitigated disaster.  Maybe the heat was too high, but those eggs stuck to the surface like it was fly paper.  Back to the drawing board on that pan.

Tonight I put the Lodge pan to the test.  This is the one I smoothed out with the abrasive wheel, but I put it through exactly the same seasoning process as the carbon steel pan, so I wasn't expecting too much.  What a difference!  Just a little loosening up with the spatula and those eggs were sliding around the pan like ice dancers.  Too bad about the carbon steel pan, but the cast iron pan was as slick as any surface I've ever cooked on.  I'll give the carbon steel pan a few more coats and see it that makes a difference.

https://youtu.be/qzcgcrTeqBw
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:23:15 AM by radial »

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Help me love my cast iron skillet
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2017, 12:47:23 AM »
Eggs are the true test of a nonstick surface! Nicely done.

LilyLily

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
HB - I use kosher salt to get bits that are stuck on my cast iron. Just toss it in there and scrub with a paper towel and it's done. Another thing I try to do is if stuff is stuck on there while the pan is still hot, I'll de-glaze it with water which, often, makes anything else other than a ring un-necessary.

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Help me love my cast iron skillet
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2017, 02:50:17 PM »
Our two cast iron pans belonged to my wife's great grandmother who used them during the Alaska gold rush and then brought them back to Oroville to a timber camp where she was the cook most of the rest of her life.Those pans are so seasoned at this point that I swear you could ice skate on them if they were a little bit bigger and it wouldn't mar them up at all. We can actually wash them with detergent and it doesn't do a damn thing to them.  My advice is keep an eye out at fleamarkets for a really old and well used cast-iron pan.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:52:34 PM by glwestcott »

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2017, 02:52:27 PM »
who used them during the Alaska gold rush and then brought them back to Oroville to a timber camp where she was the cook most of the rest of her life

:heartbeat:

I love this story!!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »

Trying again. So no matter how well I season the pan, no matter how well I try to care for it, I always end up with this sticky residue that food sticks to. How do I get rid of it? Why does my pan grab onto everything and burn it?

And before responding, please see my other responses in this thread to see what I've previously done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
That pan looks really rough.  All those ridges.  I don't think that one is going to work very well unless you can get the surface smoother. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2017, 08:02:03 AM »
Maybe you need to be a little... grosser? I'm just wondering if you're cleaning it *too* much and not letting the seasoning build up enough, if that makes any sense.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »
That pan looks really rough.  All those ridges.  I don't think that one is going to work very well unless you can get the surface smoother. 

My grandma used it for years without a problem. 

Maybe you need to be a little... grosser? I'm just wondering if you're cleaning it *too* much and not letting the seasoning build up enough, if that makes any sense.

I've followed the recommendations I've read for cleaning and it seems plenty gross. :D

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »
My grandma used it for years without a problem. 

Maybe it's not as rough as it looks.  When you run your fingernail over those grooves, can you them?  Also, just out of curiosity, what brand of pan is it?  What do the markings on the bottom look like? 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »

that's what I was thinking... that pan looks way too clean to me.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
I was doing a bit of research and my pan was "made in Taiwan" which is apparently a very bad thing according to cast iron enthusiasts.

Anyhow, I made a stove top to oven chicken dish this weekend and while I didn't have issues with sticking (used lots of olive oil), I noticed that the seasoning had come off in certain sections. This has happened to me before and not because I've washed the pan. It comes off during cooking. Anyone else had this happen?

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2017, 01:27:54 PM »
I've been using my pan more and more and it's growing on me.  Maybe it's because the last thing I cooked was greasy bacon and eggs.  :-D

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »
I've pretty much concluded that I'll love this pan because it was Grandma's, but I don't think I'm going to get much use out of it. I much prefer cooking with my enamel cast iron skillets.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 10:43:47 AM »
I've pretty much concluded that I'll love this pan because it was Grandma's, but I don't think I'm going to get much use out of it. I much prefer cooking with my enamel cast iron skillets.
can you hang it on the wall as kitchen decor? :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
can you hang it on the wall as kitchen decor? :D

:!:

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
I thought of something else, Amy. Are you cooking acidic foods, like tomatoes, in your cast iron pan? (I remembered this because I used tomatoes in mine and thought of this thread.)

Unless your pan is already extremely well seasoned, you should not cook tomatoes in it, the acid will wreak havoc with the seasoning. Same for vinegar, lemon juice, wine, etc (although it's probably fine to add any of those at the finish, just don't simmer for a long time).

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
At Christmas time I bought myself a Staub enameled (emerald green) cast iron skillet.  I love it.  I know it's not the true purists type where you season it because it has a nonstick coating, but it cooks well and washes up like a breeze.  I use it daily.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2018, 04:30:17 PM »
I thought of something else, Amy. Are you cooking acidic foods, like tomatoes, in your cast iron pan? (I remembered this because I used tomatoes in mine and thought of this thread.)

Unless your pan is already extremely well seasoned, you should not cook tomatoes in it, the acid will wreak havoc with the seasoning. Same for vinegar, lemon juice, wine, etc (although it's probably fine to add any of those at the finish, just don't simmer for a long time).

No. I followed all the cardinal rules of cast iron.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »
No. I followed all the cardinal rules of cast iron.

Why do you think your Grandma's skillet didn't work?

+-SUPPORT US