Author Topic: I fucking nailed eggplant Parmesan tonight  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
I fucking nailed eggplant Parmesan tonight
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:58:23 AM »
Crispy on the outside, but the inside melts in your mouth. Served with homemade marinara and Tuscan white beans, and red wine.

It took me a few tries, but I think I have it wired.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: I fucking nailed eggplant Parmesan tonight
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:06:27 AM »
yay!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »
I just drooled on my keyboard.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:00:07 AM »
Did you use a recipe?  I want some eggplant parm now, just from reading your post!

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 11:57:04 AM »
That sounds delicious.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »
Did you use a recipe?  I want some eggplant parm now, just from reading your post!

Honestly, I think it's the physical cooking rather than the recipe that worked so well this time. Until last night I was ending up with them either a bit burned on the outside or not cooked on the inside. Turned down the heat a bit this time (to medium+ instead of medium-high) and got what I was looking for. Also, I was more careful with the dredging so that my fingers wouldn't scrape off the coating as I moved the eggplant from one bowl to the next. Little things, but they really made a difference.

I use one of the big eggplants, that look like this: , not the skinny ones. Slice into 1/2" slices.

three bowls:
1/3 cup flour, salt and pepper
3 eggs and 1 T olive oil
1+ cup of breadcrumbs (I add some dried herbs and spices - like 1/4 teaspoon each of dried onions, garlic powder, oregano and basil - up to you)

drop each slice in the flour, flip it over once or twice, then move into the egg, completely submerging. Carefully pull out of the egg and drop into the bread crumbs. If you can grab the eggplant slice by the side instead of the middle it will work better (I used two hands! tongs might also work). flip until coated, then set slices on a plate to dry for 30 minutes.

If you do it right, you should just barely have enough egg (and will have bread crumbs and flour left over)

For the marinara:
Several peeled tomatoes (2 pounds?) crush the tomatoes by hand, removing the hard part surrounding the stem, and add to a pot.
finely chopped basil
finely chopped italian parsley
garlic
olive oil (I think I used 3 T or so).
salt and pepper
Add all ingredients and simmer at least 10 minutes (but as long as you want). Break up chunks of tomatoes with a wooden spoon while cooking.

Heat olive oil in the pan (I didn't measure, but be generous!). Cook eggplant about 4-5 minutes per side over medium heat. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding. Between batches, scrape out the burned gunk that accumulates in the pan and add more oil if needed (just bring back up to temp). Spin the eggplant discs around 180 degrees halfway through each side so that one side isn't always facing the center of the pan

Now, I probably shouldn't actually call this eggplant parmesan, because I skip the baking step entirely. I just spoon however much marinara over the eggplant slices on the serving dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. But if you wanted, you could place the eggplant slices in a baking dish with the marinara sauce and top with cheese and bake until the cheese melts. So, "Fried Eggplant with Marinara and Parmesan" might be more appropriate...

And the beans...easy peasy. combine white beans, some olive oil, fresh rosemary, chopped italian parsley, garlic, and a diced tomato in a pot. Heat 'n' eat.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:16:20 PM »
Sounds delish! I've never been able to get consistent results with eggplant so I don't cook it much at home any longer
 So,  I bow to your eggplant success!

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
Sounds delish! I've never been able to get consistent results with eggplant so I don't cook it much at home any longer
 So,  I bow to your eggplant success!

I don't actually like eggplant very much! But DBF really likes it, so I cook it now and again. And, of course, frying something with an egg-and-breadcrumb coating is bound to make it taste good.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 06:48:56 PM »
I love it but BF doesn't really like it so it's no great loss. I've. Ever been able to figure out why it's sometimes silky and delicious and sometimes tough and or bitter.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 09:40:15 PM »
witchy mentioned the male vs. female eggplant thing once.  it helps:

http://www.chowhound.com/post/great-tip-picking-eggplant-632148
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 09:50:21 PM »
I LOVE eggplant parm, but it's one of those things I order in a restaurant (or ask my mom to make me) because it's too much effort to make it well at home. Yours sounds awesome!!

Offline blue sleep

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 01:36:19 PM »
Sounds fantastic.  I've never been able to cook it even remotely well.  Might give your detailed recipe a try.

For those as inexpert (or lazy) as I am though, might I suggest Michaelangelo's Eggplant Parmesan from the frozen food section.  Cook in the oven, not the microwave.  Better than any restaurant version I've had, but probably not as good as CFL's!
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

+-SUPPORT US