Author Topic: I can't make an omelet to save my life  (Read 9609 times)

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
I can't make an omelet to save my life
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:40:40 PM »
Any advice? this past one reached near-Hindenburg proportions :argh:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: I can't make an omelet to save my life
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »
I start with an oiled non stick small pan over medium heat, then I use the spatula to move the scrambled egg around, scraping the bottom until it starts to cook thru, turning/ tilting the pan to spread the uncooked egg, then when firm enough I flip it over, put on the fillings and fold and finish cooking. Alton Brown had a good instruction many years ago if you can find it online.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:23:58 AM »
I've started making frittatas instead.  I can make an omelet (using meri's technique pretty much), but I find it too much trouble when I can instead, just pour the egg over my filling and let it cook (I let the bottom cook on the range, then sprinkle on some cheese and finish it under the broiler).

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »
I love to make omelettes and love to make them pretty :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »
This thread reminded me of this article about Judith Jones, the editor of JC's books:

http://www.thekitchn.com/kitchen-tour-ju-158276#_
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline redkitty

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:57:41 AM »
So perhaps my DH and I do not make omelets right, but here is what we do (it sounds so simple).  We cover the pan with the egg mixture, we put whatever we want in it on top of it once the egg starts to firm up (sometimes we just mix the ingredients directly into the egg mixture if we aren't using a lot).  When the top part of the egg starts to firm up, we fold it in half.  a minute or two later we flip it.  Then it is done.  The trick is that the bottom has to be fully firm before you try to fold it or flip it. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 02:41:48 PM »
I like my eggs fully cooked, so i flip the whole round thing, then fill it & fold it and then finish cooking it once folded. Though I think your way is what I generally see at brunch places, etc.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »
In high school we had a visit to our foods class from the CA egg commission spokesperson. He taught us how to make the best omelets. You are supposed to start with a nonstick pan with oil or butter coating it and you want it to start really hot. Then you pour the mix in and tilt the pan and push the cooked egg toward the center every minute or so until there is no runny egg. Then you add your cheese and cooked toppings to half and fold it over (the steam is supposed to melt the cheese) and slide it off onto a plate.

I am pretty good at it but my old pans made it hard. My new pans have made them a lot prettier.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
The technique is supposed to be a series of pan shaking in a non-stick pan with oil or butter, until the omelet on the outer edge falls over on itself (after adding other ingredients, which btw, does not have to be elaborate, can be as simple as shredded cheese and chopped chives), then shaking some more to let the rest of it folds over. The shape can resemble a burrito, and doesn't have to be the classic half moon. It's how I make mine anyway.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »
In high school we had a visit to our foods class from the CA egg commission spokesperson. He taught us how to make the best omelets. You are supposed to start with a nonstick pan with oil or butter coating it and you want it to start really hot. Then you pour the mix in and tilt the pan and push the cooked egg toward the center every minute or so until there is no runny egg. Then you add your cheese and cooked toppings to half and fold it over (the steam is supposed to melt the cheese) and slide it off onto a plate.

I am pretty good at it but my old pans made it hard. My new pans have made them a lot prettier.

This is what I do, except I use a regular pan and maybe a bit less heat. Even better if you use bacon fat instead of butter, though they look less pretty. Never had an issue with them sticking, but I do use pretty high quality pans. The biggest problem I've encountered is trying to make them with too many eggs and the outside gets a little over done by the time the eggs are finished and the inside ingredients are warmed

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »

Yeah, this is more or less what most have suggested, and what I was trying to do. I wonder if my egg was just too thick (3 eggs in a fairly small skillet) and wasn't cooking through as well. Also I have way too many toppings, so I was hoping for scarcest that would not involve laying off the veggies!

Also, I cooked the egg in the same pan that held the veggies, so it turned brown quickly.

I'll just experiment a bit.

Offline caribougrrl

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 08:13:08 AM »

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »
The technique is supposed to be a series of pan shaking in a non-stick pan with oil or butter, until the omelet on the outer edge falls over on itself (after adding other ingredients, which btw, does not have to be elaborate, can be as simple as shredded cheese and chopped chives), then shaking some more to let the rest of it folds over. The shape can resemble a burrito, and doesn't have to be the classic half moon. It's how I make mine anyway.

I've tried this many times and just can't get the technique down. Julia Child made it look so easy.  :grr:

Offline ihop

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »
I've tried this many times and just can't get the technique down. Julia Child made it look so easy.  :grr:

Right?

I think I saw a clip of Thomas Keller making an omelette.  I do something similar to what he did - bringing the uncooked egg to the edge of the pan and redistributing it.

Hmmm.  I am second guessing myself.  Maybe Thomas Keller did a blurb on roasting a chicken and someone else did the omelette one. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »
Yeah, this is more or less what most have suggested, and what I was trying to do. I wonder if my egg was just too thick (3 eggs in a fairly small skillet) and wasn't cooking through as well. Also I have way too many toppings, so I was hoping for scarcest that would not involve laying off the veggies!

Also, I cooked the egg in the same pan that held the veggies, so it turned brown quickly.

I'll just experiment a bit.

You really have to swirl the pan to get the uncooked egg to the edges/underneath--I wouldn't think 3 eggs would be too many. How big was your pan? The brown just happens if you're cooking in the same pan. I haven't found it affects the taste at all, though you may have to be more careful about overcooking in a hot pan.

The biggest challenge I've had is getting the top set up and not overcooking the bottom. Just takes practice and attention to how much heat you're using.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 03:12:24 PM »
I have a pan that I ONLY use for eggs. Once it starts to be not so non stick I get a new one and that pan goes to cook other things.

I also do the put the eggs in hot pan then start pushing the sides and letting the eggs flow underneath. Once there is no more runny eggs I turn it to low and put a plate on the top. You can't do this with an electric stove cause they suck and don't go low quick enough so maybe move it off the stove till it cools a bit. Anyway the heat that the plate traps heats the remaining too soft parts to solid then I put on the cheese and cover again. If I have other toppings I put them on top of the cheese. Once it's melted (not long) I let it slide out onto the plate and fold the top over. The pan should be clean when you put the eggs in, if you cooked something else in there wipe it out! I load mine up pretty well and don't have a problem.

Last nights omelette, shallots and mushrooms sauteed with a little herb mix from Penzey's called Mural of Flavor, I had some arugula so threw that in too. Then goat cheese. Oh man is that a great taste together!
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

+-SUPPORT US