Author Topic: Knife blocks  (Read 2951 times)

Offline oblio

• The Runners
Knife blocks
« on: December 04, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
The bf has been asking for a new knife block as a gift since last christmas. These things get crazy expensive! Is it worth it? Does anyone have strong feelings about their knife set?? Is it worth investing in or should I just get one from Target?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Knife blocks
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 07:29:53 PM »
Does he want a set with the knives or just a block?

Yes it's all important to me.  I'm sure everyone is different.  If just the block then it protects your knife investment.  If the knives then IME chef and paring knife are most important and I want the chef knife to fit comfortably in my hand, have a nice heft, etc.

Sur la Table has had some nice sales on knives.  If it's less expensive and your guy has some now (even if they're not in great shape), you could always buy the block and some key knives and then slowly replace the rest (steak, etc) over time.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 07:33:51 PM »

Yes it's all important to me.  I'm sure everyone is different.  If just the block then it protects your knife investment.  If the knives then IME chef and paring knife are most important and I want the chef knife to fit comfortably in my hand, have a nice heft, etc.

Sur la Table has had some nice sales on knives.  If it's less expensive and your guy has some now (even if they're not in great shape), you could always buy the block and some key knives and then slowly replace the rest (steak, etc) over time.

Agreed. And 3rd most important knife is a good serrated one. IMO.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:50:17 PM »
yes. and a sharpening block (nothing fancy required) and knowledge of how to use it.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 07:45:24 AM »
I have a knife block and the magnetic strip. I think the block is a Henkels, nothing fancy, it is more convenient than anything else, the big, expensive knives are on the strip with the pizza cutter and the insert to the food processor.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 08:39:45 AM »
This is a really informative article about knife shopping.  I have one of those victorianox knives with a rosewood handle and like it a lot. 

My chef's knives are going on 25 years old and they are great ad the day they were made except needing the occasional pro sharpening. 

Offline oblio

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 09:05:15 AM »

Oh, it didn't even occur to me they would sell the block without the knives! Yes, he is wanting the knives. Getting them a few at a time is a great idea! I'm not sure he would know what he was looking for if he were trying them out, he's only ever had cheap knives. I think at this point he's wanting something that is easy to keep sharp over a long time.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 10:05:28 AM »
My dad made me a custom block for all my random knives. :heartbeat:

Offline oblio

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »
That is so cool! What a lovely thing to have.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »
That is so cool! What a lovely thing to have.
Thanks!! He made me a bunch of things over the years, I treasure all of them so much, especially now that he’s gone.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 08:41:55 AM »
Wonderful BA <3

Oblio, sounds like he's going to love whatever you get him. 

Offline oblio

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 10:17:33 AM »
I took your advise and got something from Sur La Table. A Henckels 7 piece block set that says it is self-sharpening. Not the fanciest, but not Target. I think he will be happy with it!  :d

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 07:43:30 AM »
I’m sure he will.

+-SUPPORT US