Forum > Food

rhubarb!

(1/4) > >>

caribougrrl:
as requested by Bonita, some rhubarb recipes... feel free to add your own

Stewed rhubarb - which I mix with plain yogurt, use as an ice cream sauce or sauce with spice cake, or just eat it out of a bowl... also good on porridge or granola, waffles/pancakes instead of syrup:

6 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp water
optional: tsp of rose water OR some sage leaves OR sliced fresh ginger

Put all the ingredients in a pot, heat over medium, stir occassionally until the sugar is all dissolved and the rhubarb is well cooked. Yesterday I made an 18 cups of rhubarb batch... much of it got frozen.

Rhubarb Cordial
Essentially, strained stewed rhubarb but with a way higher sugar ratio.

Use it for cocktails, or mix with club soda for a rhubarb soda. Can also be used in place of syrups/sauces on desserts and pancakes.

Rhubarb Catsup http://moosecurrry.blogspot.com/2015/06/rhubarb-ketchup-recipe.html

This tagliatelle with rhubarb and dill is really good.

Sometimes I accidentally pick some really young, really thin stalks... those I just shave or slice thinly into salad.

I have used rhubarb in place of lemon in soups: both rasam (like a tomato rasam that has lemon in it... I have never tried to do a straight forward rhubarb rasam instead of lemon rasam) and  egyptian-style red lentil soup were really good with rhubarb.

BonitaApplebum:
Thank you!!

I can't believe I've never thought to pair rhubarb with ginger. I can't wait to try this. And I'm currently on a big yogurt kick so I'll be all over that stewed recipe.

Re: the cordial -- my mom has a fantastic gin punch recipe that uses a rhubarb-based syrup. She got everyone quite buzzed on it (except for me!) at my baby shower... :roll:

Run Amok:
I made the Jam in this recipe that we love. So good with yogurt and anywhere you use jam.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/rhubarb-brown-butter-bars

picote:
Oh, I loved stewed rhubarb on ice cream growing up. So much grandma in that memory  :heartbeat:

glwestcott:
According to my niece in Juneau: Any pie needs it’s contingent of rhubarb and, by the way, so does your morning cereal, your ice cream, your cake recipe, your salad... 

Personally, I think it’s just that so few things grow so well there, but I do like her desserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version