Forum > Food

Do y’all meal plan?

<< < (2/12) > >>

BonitaApplebum:
I’m a big fan of meal planning, because for me the worst part of making dinner is coming up with a menu on the fly when I’m tired and everyone is starving.

However, I often make the mistake of planning too many meals. And then I have too much stuff in the fridge that we don’t wind up eating.

I feel like having 2-3 weeknight meals/week planned is the sweet spot. The other nights we eat leftovers, or everyone just fends for themselves.

moroccangirl:

--- Quote from: BonitaApplebum on October 01, 2019, 12:32:07 PM ---You guys I’m moving this to food, since it seems like a good perennial topic. Please don’t pout or act like I’m overreaching, the reason we put stuff there is so we can find it again.

--- End quote ---

Quit picking on me!

:D Kidding

moroccangirl:

--- Quote from: BonitaApplebum on October 01, 2019, 12:35:21 PM ---I’m a big fan of meal planning, because for me the worst part of making dinner is coming up with a menu on the fly when I’m tired and everyone is starving.

However, I often make the mistake of planning too many meals. And then I have too much stuff in the fridge that we don’t wind up eating.

I feel like having 2-3 weeknight meals/week planned is the sweet spot. The other nights we eat leftovers, or everyone just fends for themselves.

--- End quote ---

I’ve started with stuff we eat all the time that I know we like since DH is a vegetarian. I built in the leftovers (because I know which meals give us leftovers). I think I will just buy groceries for one week each weekend in case we make any changes.

Run Amok:
I like to cook but mostly hate cooking dinner. It's a CHORE and a pretty thankless one (work all day and then do the second shift in the kitchen, yay!)

I do like to plan 3ish meals at a time. That doesn't get us through the week, but inevitably if I plan for more that that we skip it. I also tend to plan something super simple during the week. Like, we've been eating "tacos" that are a tortilla, soy chorizo, shredded cheese, & hot sauce-- and that is all. Or stirfry that is broccoli, tofu, & rice. Anything more complicated than that lately and we will just eat out instead.

BonitaApplebum:
Something I like to do is prepping a bunch of stuff on the weekend. Like cooking a bunch of protein (a big package of chicken thighs, etc) and then having it available for a couple of different meals. If I make rice I make enough for a meal plus extra to make dried rice with. I chop a bunch of veggies so they are ready to go. Things like that.

I might not have a super firm plan for how to use the prepped stuff yet, but it’s so much easier to look in the fridge and think about how to assemble the prepped stuff than it is to start from ground zero.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version