Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221188 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #680 on: December 07, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »
what happened with the beef stroganoff? I've had really good results cooking pasta in the IP. I didn't think it would work at all but has been great!

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #681 on: December 07, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »
what happened with the beef stroganoff? I've had really good results cooking pasta in the IP. I didn't think it would work at all but has been great!

The recipe I used does not add pasta along with the other ingredients; it's cooked separately.  There was too much fluid in the end result (I thickened it), which likely derived from the mushrooms.  That could readily be mitigated by adding less beef broth or by sautéing the 'shrooms separately.  However, the biggest minus for me was that browning the meat (I use sirloin tip) was awkward and time-consuming because to avoid overcrowding the meat, I had to brown in several batches.  My large/deep Le Creuset  sauté  pan allows for better searing in fewer batches; easier to turn the meat, too.  Plus the flavor was too "melded" in the IP vs sauté pan, if that makes any sense.  The meat was super-tender though! 

At any rate, I can definitely see some major benefits to the IP vs my pressure cooker (the automation is great, and it is so quiet), but not everything lends itself to pressure cooking.

#notallprogressives

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #682 on: December 07, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
I agree.  I love my IP for the things it does well, but sauteing any sizeable quantity of meat isn't one of those things. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #683 on: December 07, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
Yes, definitely true. Although there are things I've come around to figuring out how to make them in the IP because it's so easy to just toss it in and walk away from. But, I hear ya.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #684 on: December 08, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
Yes, definitely true. Although there are things I've come around to figuring out how to make them in the IP because it's so easy to just toss it in and walk away from. But, I hear ya.

On the other hand, the leftover IP beef stroganoff was pretty darned tasty!

#notallprogressives

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #685 on: December 08, 2017, 05:15:44 PM »
On the other hand, the leftover IP beef stroganoff was pretty darned tasty!
So what size did you get?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #686 on: December 08, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
So what size did you get?

8 quart! It’s a big beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#notallprogressives

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #687 on: December 08, 2017, 06:49:14 PM »

8 quart! It’s a big beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll check it out. Any bells and whistles?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #688 on: December 08, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »
I'm thinking that I'll pick one up during the post-Christmas sales if I see a good deal.  What size do I want for the 3 of us?  6 quart? 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #689 on: December 08, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »
Yes, that seems right. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #690 on: December 09, 2017, 07:35:41 AM »
I'm thinking that I'll pick one up during the post-Christmas sales if I see a good deal.  What size do I want for the 3 of us?  6 quart? 

the large.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #691 on: December 09, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
I'll check it out. Any bells and whistles?

Plenty of bells and whistles when compared with my standard pressure cooker.  It's the IP Duo80 V2.  If I had purchased the IP myself, I likely would have bought a 6 qt (my Fissler pressure cooker is a 6 qt , which is pretty much the prefect size for most of my pressure cooking), but BFF gave me the biggest model, knowing that I will use the IP for fermenting idli batter so the 8 qt allows more room for expansion of the batter.  I'm also looking forward to making yogurt in The Beast!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:07:00 AM by DocBushwell »

#notallprogressives

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #692 on: December 09, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
Ooohhh, dosas !  Mike and I were so tired of shity pizza that yesterday I decided I was going to make pizza dough and a New York pizza and I nailed it. To get it perfect requires the semolina that I ordered as well as the pizza stone that is also on order.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #693 on: December 09, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Ooohhh, dosas !  Mike and I were so tired of shity pizza that yesterday I decided I was going to make pizza dough and a New York pizza and I nailed it. To get it perfect requires the semolina that I ordered as well as the pizza stone that is also on order.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Recipe, pleeeeeeeeease?   Maybe we need a pizza topic here in the Food Forum!

#notallprogressives

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #694 on: December 10, 2017, 01:05:40 AM »

Recipe, pleeeeeeeeease?   Maybe we need a pizza topic here in the Food Forum!
Well, simple. Bread flour,  about two cups. First blend a Tblsp of yeast into a cup of lukewarm water, Tblsp salt, couple Tblsp olive oil. Let it proof. Then use the dough hook to blend it all. Knead it a little bit. Put it in a toasty spot to rise. Roll it in oo and cover with a damp towel.

When it's nice and poofy preheat the oven to 500. Spread it into a pizza pan. Cover with 2 cups of any tomato sauce. Sprinkle it with oregano. Layer with a pound of fresh mozzarella. Add toppings as desired. Pour enough oo on top so you need a paper towel to keep if from running down your arm when you eat it.

Bake for around 20 minutes. Turn it to keep it from burning. Let cool a bit then gorge.

I will mix the bread flour and semolina 50/50 next time and I hope the crust is chewier.  We also ordered a pizza stone and peel.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #695 on: December 28, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »
OK, I made a pot roast (hunk of really tasty chuck from this farm) in the IP, and it was pretty darned awesome.  I still browned the beef in a separate skillet first; IP just doesn't have the size and heat control I like to get that Maillard reaction just right, but the IP was great for the rest.

#notallprogressives

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #696 on: December 29, 2017, 10:56:19 PM »
OK, I made a pot roast (hunk of really tasty chuck from this farm) in the IP, and it was pretty darned awesome.  I still browned the beef in a separate skillet first; IP just doesn't have the size and heat control I like to get that Maillard reaction just right, but the IP was great for the rest.

What liquid did you cook it in? I am always looking for good roast recipes.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #697 on: December 30, 2017, 11:55:51 AM »
What liquid did you cook it in? I am always looking for good roast recipes.

It was a pretty simple recipe:  browned a 2ish pound chuck over medium-high heat in a large skillet, about 4 minutes per side, then set it on the rack in the IP.  Added about 3 cups or so sliced onions to the skillet and browned them.  Added some dried herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary - about 2 tsps total of mixed herbs), cooked until aromatic, about 30 seconds or so. Deglazed the pan with 1/2 cup red wine, then added 1 cup beef broth and 2T tomato paste.  Poured this all over the browned beef in the IP, sealed, and cooked for 1 hour under high pressure.  While it was cooking, I peeled about 2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes and cut them into ~ 1 to 1.5 inch chunks; peeled 6 medium-sized carrots and cut them into 1.5 inch chunks.  At 1 hour, I did a quick-release on the IP, dumped the potatoes and carrots into the IP, sealed, and cooked under high pressure for 12 minutes.  Again, a quick release.  Scooped as much of the potatoes and carrots as I could off the beef then lifted it out of the IP on the rack.  Put it on a platter and kept into warm oven.  Lifted the steel insert from the IP, drained the rest of the potatoes and carrots and consolidated them in a serving bowl that went into the warm oven with the beef, reserving the cooking liquid.  Put the latter back in the insert and into the IP again, reserving about a cup of liquid to mix with about 2 to 3 T of flour.  Set the IP on high sauté and when liquid was boiling, backed it down to medium heat.  Added the flour slurry and cooked, whisking the whole time, for about 5 minutes until thickened then that went in the gravy bowl.  Sprinkled chopped fresh parsley over everything and served.  Nice, warm comfort food on very cold evening.

Only thing I'd do differently is bump up the cooking liquid volume to 1 C of red wine, 2 C of beef broth, 3T tomato paste. 

#notallprogressives

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #698 on: January 04, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »
Go to FB and search for the Two Sleevers Indian Butter Chicken and make it tonight.  I don't know why I waited so long to make it.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #699 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:03 PM »
Oh man I love butter chicken.

+-SUPPORT US