Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222681 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #560 on: March 15, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
I am a fan of roasting root veg, sorry :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #561 on: March 15, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
I am a fan of roasting root veg, sorry :D

That's what I usually do, too -- but I have a TON so I'm looking for other ideas. I might roast and then make soup with the roasted veggies.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #562 on: March 15, 2017, 12:33:56 PM »
I mean, you can turn any of those into a soup/puree. I always prefer my root veg roasted though!

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #563 on: March 15, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »
Carrot parsnip mash is pretty good. I'd probably steam them in the instant pot for like 12 minutes (maybe more? I do potatoes for 11 but it seems like they'd need more time. Also I live at altitude so my cooking times are longer), then mash with butter and cream just like you'd do mashed potatoes.

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #564 on: March 15, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »
Created an egg dish for dinner the other night.  We had some italian sausage to use up, so I fried it up with onion and green pepper in a pan, then layered it with cojack cheese in a greased metal bowl that fits in the instant pot.  Poured 8 scrambled eggs over the top and let it soak down through.  Just a little cheese, salt and pepper on top.  Covered the bowl with foil, poured 1.5 cups of water in the IP and placed the bowl on the rack.  Cooked for 16 minutes and quick release.

It turned out very good and we ate it with english muffins for dinner.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #565 on: March 16, 2017, 08:32:49 AM »
That's what I usually do, too -- but I have a TON so I'm looking for other ideas. I might roast and then make soup with the roasted veggies.

I dice and put them in the crockpot with onion, olive oil, thyme, and a bit of water, on high for 3hours. I like roasting, too, but it takes too much time.  I don't use the oven very much, I just don;t seem to like using it.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
I made corned beef in the IP and it came out awesome.

We don't love boiled dinner, but I wanted corned beef, so we decided we'd have reuben sandwiches.

So easy -- I put the rack in the IP and put the corned beef on the rack. It came with a seasoning packet (looked like peppercorns, mustard seeds, bay leaves... the usual stuff) so I sprinkled that on top. Poured maybe a cup and a half of water in. Manual on high pressure for 70 minutes, natural release.

It sat for a good while in keep warm mode before I even opened it. It was so perfectly done.

Oh, and for the reubens I did them grilled in a pan, with pumpernickel bread, kraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:30:48 AM by BonitaApplebum »

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #567 on: March 20, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
Yum!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #568 on: May 18, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »
OK, it's too hot too cook, but I defrosted a whole chicken so I need to make it today. I'm doing it in the IP, and then I'm just going to shred it and make... something. Ideas?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #569 on: May 18, 2017, 05:09:37 PM »
Following...  I have a whole defrosted roaster at home.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #570 on: May 18, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
I found a recipe for 4 pound chicken, but mine was kind of small (3.5) so I reduced the time a little. I put some oil in the pot, seasoned the chicken, and sauteed breast down for 5-6 minutes. Then I flipped it, added some liquid (recipe said stock but I just used water and I think it will be fine) and a little lemon juice and garlic. Manual high pressure for 23 minutes and then natural release. It's cooking now.

I'm thinking of doing chicken tacos, or chicken salad sandwiches, or maybe a green salad with shredded chicken added. I guess I'll let the kids pick. Unless anybody suggests anything else...

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #571 on: May 18, 2017, 07:35:34 PM »
Okay, so it was nicely cooked, fell right off the bone, but a little boring (I guess stock would have been preferable, but mine was frozen so I was lazy). Boring was exactly fine for the kids. I wound up perking mine up a bit with some heat and salt.

It never really wound up being a meal, everyone just made plates of random leftovers plus their chicken. Woot!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #572 on: May 18, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »
I ended up butterflying the chicken and roasting it in the oven.  The combo of seasonings really worked out well.  Aleppo peppers, Spanish paprika, a blend from Volcanic Peppers called Volcano Dust, salt, pepper.  Oh, and a sprinkle of Old Bay, just because I'm old and live near the Chesapeake Bay :D.  It was not boring, but then I don't have any juvenile palates to worry about. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #573 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »
Created an egg dish for dinner the other night.  We had some italian sausage to use up, so I fried it up with onion and green pepper in a pan, then layered it with cojack cheese in a greased metal bowl that fits in the instant pot.  Poured 8 scrambled eggs over the top and let it soak down through.  Just a little cheese, salt and pepper on top.  Covered the bowl with foil, poured 1.5 cups of water in the IP and placed the bowl on the rack.  Cooked for 16 minutes and quick release.

It turned out very good and we ate it with english muffins for dinner.

So for some things is it like cooking in a crock pot but faster?

Also, having recently had some amazing Japanese beef sous vide, can this do sous vide?
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #574 on: May 20, 2017, 07:22:13 AM »

Also, having recently had some amazing Japanese beef sous vide, can this do sous vide?

someone posted about this a while ago. apparently, there is a special tool you can buy for the IP to do sous vide.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #575 on: May 20, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »

My brother has both an IP and a sous vide thingy (not for the IP, he just uses a big stockpot) and he is way more in love with the sous vide.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #576 on: May 29, 2017, 09:39:55 AM »
We went camping over the weekend and I took my IP. It was brilliant! I made potato salad for the first night to eat with burgers and dogs, and the second night made Mexican rice to go with fajitas.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #577 on: June 23, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
Great idea Rochey!

I keep making these black beans which were born of desperation: 1 cup dry beans, 1 T each salt, dried garlic, chili powder & cumin + a chipotle in adobo (or 1 T chipotle pow) . 15 minutes, QR, stir, then 30 more minutes.  Drained they are great in burritos,  as a side, etc. Or, we just eat it with the cooking liquid as blavk bean soup.  Not quite as good as making soup the proper way but pretty decent!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #578 on: June 23, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
You don't add any liquid?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #579 on: June 24, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »
Oh yeah! 4 cups of water!

+-SUPPORT US