Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222659 times)

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #520 on: January 18, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »
Recipe?  I have about 300 pounds of venison in my freezer, in roast and ground form and I need to get creative.

Send it to a processor and have it made into sausage and tamales.   :P
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #521 on: January 18, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »
I have mostly sausage and ground venison...this year the ground is mixed with suet which is amazingly good. Last year it was 100% venison, and while it was super lean, it was pretty gamey. I don't even know how many roasts we have. We have 4 deer in there.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #522 on: January 18, 2017, 11:08:04 PM »
Time to start shooting more targets, fewer critters. 

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #523 on: January 19, 2017, 07:24:39 AM »
I have mostly sausage and ground venison...this year the ground is mixed with suet which is amazingly good. Last year it was 100% venison, and while it was super lean, it was pretty gamey. I don't even know how many roasts we have. We have 4 deer in there.

I've heard that suet brings a lot to venison. 

I don't miss killing deer, but I really do miss the sausage and tamales.  The big processing place here will sell any unclaimed venison and for a couple of years i would go up and try to get some.  This is about the time of year, too... I need to go check!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: January 19, 2017, 07:28:05 PM »
Time to start shooting more targets, fewer critters. 
IKR?

My sister would usually take one, but they moved and didn't want to haul all of that meat 600 miles away. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #525 on: January 19, 2017, 11:16:06 PM »
Venison sausage is my favorite! I agree, it benefits from a little added fat. My brother grinds his own. Last year he did three different seasoning mixes and they were all crazy good.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #526 on: January 30, 2017, 08:53:13 PM »
My 13-year-old made dinner tonight in the IP!!!  It was just pasta and sauce (he forgot to add the browned meat) but it was awesome to walk in and have dinner ready!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #527 on: January 31, 2017, 06:34:08 AM »
My 13-year-old made dinner tonight in the IP!!!  It was just pasta and sauce (he forgot to add the browned meat) but it was awesome to walk in and have dinner ready!
:banana:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline ihop

« Reply #528 on: January 31, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »
 :)
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #529 on: February 02, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
I did an experiment in the IP yesterday that came out pretty good, and it took almost no effort -- tom yum Thai style soup.

It was basically shrimp and mushrooms with water poured over it, and then all the Thai seasonings -- garlic, galangal, keffir lime, chilis, lemongrass, fish sauce. I hit soup and let 'er rip. After natural release I added coconut milk, and finished it with lime juice and cilantro.

It was a little weird making soup without tasting it as I went (it was my first time making it in the IP), but I had a general sense of the flavor profile I wanted and the proportions, I threw it all together and it worked. At least, my guests all ate it happily!

Offline ihop

« Reply #530 on: February 03, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
That sounds yummy.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #531 on: February 03, 2017, 11:26:31 PM »
I am going to try spaghetti squash tomorrow...
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #532 on: February 04, 2017, 06:18:48 AM »
I am going to try spaghetti squash tomorrow...
I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, put 1 cup of water and the trivet in and set HP 7 mins, QR.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #533 on: February 10, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »
I'm getting braver and trying things as experiments.  Last night I made a chicken/rice dish with leftover cooked chicken thighs.

I sauteed onions, carrots and celery, then added in the meat from 5 thighs, some canned corn we had open in the fridge, two cups of rice and 5 cups of water.  Seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, basil, bay leaves, etc.  Stirred well. 

Cooked it for 10 minutes under pressure, natural release for another 5 or so, then fully released.  It turned out great.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #534 on: February 12, 2017, 10:56:31 PM »
Wow, I had mine going all day!

I made a whole chicken to use in soup later this week. While that was going, I started a batch of yogurt. I also made rice pudding, some hard-boiled eggs, and the Mississippi pot roast that Mason said was amazing.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #535 on: February 14, 2017, 07:08:45 AM »
I need to get more adventuresome.  I basically do the same thing over and over....make a big batch of brown rice on Sunday and then on three or four weeknights some kind of cubed meat and chopped veggies... just change some seasonings to run through the cultural gambit of peasant foods and then do it all again the next week. 

I'm still impressed though.  8 mins after it comes to pressure is just amazing. 

I don't think the same day brown rice is as good as Alton Browns oven method, but for anything that goes in the fridge and freezer I really can't tell the difference.   And I do three dry cups at a time in the IP which is double the Alton brown method.

Offline ihop

« Reply #536 on: February 14, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »
Brown rice last night was perfect.  And in about half the time of stove top.

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #537 on: February 20, 2017, 07:52:20 AM »
My instant pot did not work properly yesterday: steam coming out of the sides.  I hope it was just the silicone ring not placed in there properly.  Trying potato soup today.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #538 on: February 20, 2017, 08:10:19 AM »
That is probably what it is! I check it every time i use the pot.

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #539 on: February 21, 2017, 08:02:23 AM »
IP worked well last night, so it was the ring.  I have three rings.

+-SUPPORT US